What holidays do you celebrate?

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
Kath M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think holidays are one of the best parts of life....celebrating and having fun. DH and I kind of pick and choose and add our own.

We do celebrate valentines day but it is a day for us to focus on our relationship and spend some quality time as a couple. We usually try to do a get away for the weekend. Not sure how that will work with a baby now.

In the spring instead of easter on easter weekend we have a 'spring clean' and we go through our stuff and donate clothes and household items we no longer use to a shelter or good will

Being an arborist we have to celebrate arbor day and we always plant a tree or try to find some community event to be involved in.

In the summer we do a "litter week" where every day we take a walk in a different place and pick up litter.

Thanksgiving is traditional I guess you would say but we always try to donate food to a food shelter.

For x-mas we have a fake tree (wouldn't cut down a real one!!!!) and do the whole presents thing but then we also pick a volunteer thing to do. Last year we bought and wrapped gifts for a group home and then went over and made/decorated sugar cookies with them. The year before we went to a nursing home and chatted it up with the old folks. We have also packed boxes at the food bank, done meals on wheels and worked the mall counter for kids to get presents off the tree.

I think it is important for our kids to have 'holidays' and things to look forward to and talk about. I also think it is important for children to learn they need to give back. I want my children to be able to tell people what their family does on holidays and be proud of it.

August 24th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Holidays are for fun, not religious reasons in this fam! (of course!). Even the ones that the family celebrates as religious, we join in but skip the church/prayer parts.

We celebrate:

Thanksgiving- this one is kinda weird. It's an American holiday but we always spend Thanksgiving in Panama with my family (omg- I just bought the tickets for this november, I could have put a downpayment on a small car!). But we get together with my family and have a big meal and visit.

Christmas- We celebrate this here in the states just with our immediate family. No church or anything- just presents, caroling, crafts, etc.

Feast of the Three Kings- This one we usually spend in Brazil with my husband's family, but, not this year The tickets are just too expensive. It is a religious holiday, but we just use the time to have fun with the fam.

Carnival- HA! not really a holiday, but we are in Panama again for this one. During carnival, we go to Panama city (the whole city is shut down to PARTY!) and stay with my brother and his wife. We party a lot, sing and dance, do crafts and acitivities with the kids...it's a great time.

Easter- We spend easter in NYC with the pair of aunts and uncles we have living there. We hide baskets for the kids.

Valentines- This is one of the few days that we get a babysitter and have a long night out together

St Pattys- A lot of our friends are Irish, we usually go to the parade with them and then hang out after.

HALLOWEEN!!!!!- I think this is my favorite holiday. We dress up, trick or treat, and then go to a halloween party. I lvoe decorating and making costumes...and the sugar high is fun, too! (well, until the kids won't sleep)

During the holidays like Columbus, MLK, Memorial Day we invade our friends' family picnics.

We also celebrate inependence day of Brazil, Panama, and the USA along with Martyrs' Day (a panamanian 'holiday' in observance of incident involving Panamanians and Americans)
August 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
We jokingly say we are "Hallmarksists", celebrating all commercial holidays that are fun for the family. We just don't attach any religious meaning to them. When the kids are older I will explain that some people believe certain things about certain holidays, but will aslo explain the origins of those holidays before major religions incorporated them for their own purposes. To me, holidays are for fun, tradition and making memories with the family.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 24th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
I think it's actually interesting to research the origins of our present-day religious holidays. Almost everytime you'll find that it originated from something totally different and was just adopted by the xian church to ease the process of converting the pagans - lol.

Take Easter, for example -
Eastre was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon People of Northern Europe. Her name was from the ancient word meaning spring and she was celebrated on the spring equinox. (Easter is celebrated on the first sunday after the spring equinox each year - lol) Her symbols were eggs and rabbits.

I think that I'll probably teach Kaya about the origins of holidays and where they come from, as well as what they mean to people today, and why we celebrate them.

Christmas is celebrated in Japan (and there are almost no christians there) and they give presents and cake - hehe. Today it's just as much a commercial holiday (if not more in some areas) then a religious holiday. Even it started out as a winter soltice celebration, and Jesus's birth was super-imposed over top of it for convenience sake.

August 24th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
...Being an arborist we have to celebrate arbor day and we always plant a tree or try to find some community event to be involved in...[/b]
Ok, here's a sign I'm exhausted...I looked at this and at first I thought it said "Being an abortionist we have to celebrate...."

We celebrate birthdays as much as most people celebrate xmas. (Immediate family....we don' go all out for everyone ) Because I figure, it's pretty freakin' great to be alive!

We do Halloween pretty big too. I love it and DH has loads of fun scaring the crap out of people.

We do xmas because we like presents and the rest of the family call themselves christians/catholics and gets together for food and merriment. lol

Oh, Thanksgiving (which I really oppose for political reasons) we do, again because of the rest of the family/big dinner thing. For us it's more of a day to feast and watch football though.
And that's about it for us. We don't even go out for New Years.
August 24th, 2006, 03:02 PM
kadydid
We do Christmas I have so much Christmas stuff. I love the whole present thing too.

Thanksgiving I do celebrate although this year will be odd without eating Turkey or Gravy. *** that's gonna suck! LOL I always tell my kids (as a joke) that's when white people celebrate stealing the land from the Indians. Well it's sort of a joke. We have a strange sense of humor in our house.

OT- Cute children’s book (especially for a vegetarian) is the “Know nothings talk Turkey”. Very cute Thanksgiving book!

I usually celebrate Easter but I am not going to this next year. Joshua will be almost 13 and Andrew will be almost 12 by then and I think they are old enough to go without a stupid Easter Basket and coloring a million eggs that we never eat. They are too old for Easter hunts and since DH and I are both atheists there is no point in telling Owen about Easter or letting him used to Easter every year. If when he gets older and wants to go to an egg hunt or something like that, I will probably let him.

Plus I really hate buying all that crap...

Valentines is okay in our house, the anniversary of when we met is a week after then and I prefer that day. But I always buy the kids and hubby chocolates.

4th of July is a big one here too. We usually go all out.

New Years I could care less about.

Halloween is my absolute favorite though. I live in the best neighborhood for it, seriously hundreds of kids all over the place it's great! We really like to ham it up.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search