Ghosts

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM
mrobinson
I've had a couple of experiences that took me outside an atheists bubble.. (after questioning my sanity.) What are your thoughts about ghosts?
August 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I have never experienced a ghost myself, and am not sure what to believe. Because I naturally take a scientific view of everyhting, my mind says prove it. But I also believe lack of proof still leaves possibility.
I would not believe in ghosts as conscious beings, but maybe echoes of the past, spilling from another dimension - maybe I am getting too sci-fi here, lol.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
kadydid
Quote:
I have never experienced a ghost myself, and am not sure what to believe. Because I naturally take a scientific view of everyhting, my mind says prove it. But I also believe lack of proof still leaves possibility.
I would not believe in ghosts as conscious beings, but maybe echoes of the past, spilling from another dimension - maybe I am getting too sci-fi here, lol.[/b]
You would get along great with my DH, he thinks like that too, must be all those sci-fi books.

These are my views on it unless I can see it or feel it I just do not believe it. Most of the people in this world who believe in such things believe in god too, I don't see it being much different. They think god, is talking to them (like their conscious) or that god is all around them too ("they can just feel it") I can't and all the times I thought I was feeling those things, (when I was young) it was a product of my own imagination nothing more.

This reminds me of George Carlin, I think he is so funny. (BTW Michelle I do not think you are stupid, I just think this quote is too funny)

1. Here's another question I've been pondering- What is all this s#it about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F*&^%ING STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? You know what I think it is? I think it's a massive, collective, psychotic chemical flashback for all the drugs smoked, swallowed, shot, and absorbed rectally by all Americans from 1960 to 1990. 30 years of street drugs will get you some #%*$ Angels my friend! [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]
2. What about Goblins, huh? Doesn't anybody believe in Goblins? You never hear about this.. Except on Halloween and then it's all negative s#it. And what about Zombies? You never hear from Zombies! That's the trouble with Zombies, they're unreliable! I say if you're going to go for the Angel bull@#it you might as well go for the Zombie package as well.. [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]
August 24th, 2006, 02:24 PM
mrobinson

Man I forgot about my experiementing days.. You know that is a fact too! (Drugs stay in pockets in your body and release at unexpected times in the bodies life!)
August 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM
kadydid
Quote:

Man I forgot about my experiementing days.. You know that is a fact too! (Drugs stay in pockets in your body and release at unexpected times in the bodies life!)[/b]
See, now that explains a lot!
August 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Daddy
There are no ghosts. Dead is dead.
August 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
There are no ghosts. Dead is dead.[/b]
Yeah, that's what I thought once too.
August 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Your mind is most likely playing games with you. What you believe you saw, was really there.
August 28th, 2006, 12:19 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Your mind is most likely playing games with you. What you believe you saw, was really there.
[/b]
I don't fall for your mind tricks... Wait! I just did.. didn't I?
August 29th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
I believe in ghosts/spirits, psychics/mediums, intergalactic aliens, and everything else along the lines of sci-fi.

As far as ghosts/spirits go, I guess it's because of family history. For many generations on my father's side there have been experiences with the "other side", and that leads me to believe that we are either sensitive to these things, or we're all crazy! My instict says we're sensitive, though I've yet to have my own ghostly experience. I personally think ghosts are entities from a close dimension that leak through on occasion. And a spirit to me is the energy from a person who has passed on. I think I believe in spirits for comfort reasons -- call me dillusional, but to this day I still like to think my grandmother is with me and knows her great-grandchildren. Now as for poltergeists, that's stretching it a bit!!

There's also a long line of visions and predictions on my father's side, which is why I believe in the psychic ability. I myself had my first vision at 9, which is all the proof I need that it's for real.

August 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
I am strongly atheist. I think the very idea of a being who created himself and the entire universe out of nothing is nothing short of ridiculous. That being said, I have had ghost experiences in the past. It's a long story, so pull up a chair.

After I went away to college from 1999-2001, my parents decided to start remodeling parts of our house. During this they needed to move. I come from a big family, mom, dad, me, my three (then teenaged) sisters, and the dog. There was no way we could stay in a hotel, so my parents bought a second home. They had already owned it for a few months before I ever went to it. From the very beginning, something just wasn't right about the home. Everyone heard footsteps in the kitchen, cabinets opening and closing, dishes being moved about even when no one near the kitchen.

My sister R.A. had one of the first experiences. She and mom were alone in the house. Mom was in the kitchen which was just down the hall from R.A.'s bedroom. R.A. was sitting on the bed reading a book. All of a sudden there was the sound of something hitting the blind really hard and R.A. screamed like crazy. Mom ran to her room to find her sitting on her bed staring crazily at her closed window and the still vibrating blind. Needless to say, R.A. and mom hung out together the rest of the day.

After I moved in, R.A. had one of her friends spend the night. They were both tucked into bed. R.A. was in her bed, which had a huge headboard that doubled as a small book case. There was a lamp on top of the headboard. The lamp was turned on. R.A.'s bed was flush against the wall. Also, the bed is a trundle bed, so it's very big, bulky, and heavy. R.A.'s friend was zipped into her sleeping bag about 5 feet from the bed. I told them goodnight and walked a few steps to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Before I got a chance I heard a loud crash and two screaming gasps. I ran back to the room to see the lamp laying just a few inches from the friend's head. Now, I'm a very logical person, and I can assure you that the only way that one of them could have gotten to the lamp would have been to get out of bed or the sleeping back, push her bed away from the wall, unplug the lamp, push the bed back into place, place it in the right spot, tuck themselves back into bed, and scream. Oh, and all that had to happen in under 5 seconds and without me hearing the sound of the bed being moved.

All three of my sisters hated a room in the basement. They each saw shadows that made no sense, ones that could not be explained by nearby objects or the amount of light. I never saw the shadows. I did, however, agree with them that one certain room was just "not right". It was positively nervewracking to even go near that particular room. You could walk through the rest of the basement fine (even with the crazy shadows) but getting near that one room raised the hackles on everyone's neck. I never went in there; I don't think anyone could have forced me to enter that room.

My sister R.L, and I had to sleep in a different room in the basement. This room was free of crazy shadows. I don't need much sleep so I would often be lying awake in bed while my sister slept. One night, after midnight, I started hearing an old time radio talk show. The kind from the 30s and 40s. I couldn't figure out what on earth the neighbors were doing playing an old radio program so loud I could hear it in the basement. It happened night after night. My sister never heard it because she always fell asleep before it started. One night my grandma spent the night. I had never mentioned a thing to her about the radio show so I was very surprised the next morning when she asked about it. Other than hearing the radio show and the kitchen noises nothing happened to me.

Mom and Dad both heard someone following them around through the empty house.

That's all I can remember right now.

Anyhow, I used to be completely skeptical of ghosts, but now I'm not so sure. Most people think you have to believe in religion to have a ghost experience. My working theory right now is that the possibility of ghosts negates the possiblilty of (the Christian) god because if god exists, then everyone dead should be either in heaven or hell, and there should not be any ghosts. However, if there are ghosts, then either god is really slacking off on his job of getting people to eternity, or he just doesn't exist. Personally, I'd rather not believe that either exist. The idea of anything invisible around me, watching me, judging me, just does not sit well with me, no matter if it's creator or just leftover energy matter from skin flakes shed in 1946.

~Nay
August 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
My working theory right now is that the possibility of ghosts negates the possiblilty of (the Christian) god because if god exists, then everyone dead should be either in heaven or hell, and there should not be any ghosts. However, if there are ghosts, then either god is really slacking off on his job of getting people to eternity, or he just doesn't exist. Personally, I'd rather not believe that either exist. The idea of anything invisible around me, watching me, judging me, just does not sit well with me, no matter if it's creator or just leftover energy matter from skin flakes shed in 1946.

~Nay[/b]
I wholeheartedly agree with you! I sometimes think of my father when hubby and I are being particularly naughty and wouldn't like to think he was observing us, lol. Of course I tell myself, how silly, and forget about it

I really like your working theory, makes a lot of sense.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search