Question

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2006, 09:46 AM
mrobinson
So many people have a spiritual belief that stops them from having abortion.. Some people morals aside from religion... Some people have peace about them.. I have a spiritual side yet have peace about abortions.. How you feel about them?
August 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pro-choice. That said, I would never choose an abortion for myself under normal circumstances (i.e. health issues are fine, etc...).
August 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I am pro-life for myself, pro-choice for everybody else.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm 100% pro-choice, however I DO NOT think abortion should be used ad a birth control method!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

August 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM
mrobinson
I see the words never and 100% pro-choice.. (Oh I got a debate about that on on the abortion debate.)

I know we have morals and aren't confided to a religions belief of abortion.. but I still would like to hear why you're ok with it.. or against it for those who maybe haven't posted..
August 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
I used to be pro life...until a moment came when I was forced to be pro choice and it ended up being the best choice for me.

I also don't believe it is a means of birth control to be used repeatedly.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
August 25th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Well for me the reasons behind being pro-life for myself and pro-choice for others are absolutely not rooted in religion or spirituality,or projection of my moral code onto others - I have never thought of abortion as murder, therefore I don't think someone who has an abortion is a bad person. For myself, I couldn't do it, not because I feel as though I would be committing a murder or "sin" for lack of a better word, it would not feel it was be ethically wrong, but it would be emotionally damaging for me. The reason I am pro-choice for others is that in my opinion the life that exists now, the mother, must take priority overt the possible life there is in an unborn baby. Depending on the circumstances of the conception, the mothers mental and financial state, oh so many variables, having an unplanned pregnancy could irreversibly damage the mother's life, and it's not for me or anyone else to decide whether she should have to take that chance. Some would say adoption is an option - but not for everyone. What if carrying the baby to term spoils opportunities the woman would have otherwise been able to have in her life. The choice should be hers. Some would say that you should accept responsibility for your actions and if you have unprotected sex then you take the chance of a pregnancy. I don't think a pregnancy should be a punishment. Everyones circumstances are different. Yes some are irresponsible and use abortion as an afterthought form of contraception. I don't agree with that. But others take all the precautions they can and things happen. Women are raped, victims of incest, persoanl circumstances may change from when they conceived, it's not for me or anyone not in the situation to say what justifies a woman having to have a baby or not. I do think abortion is sad, but sadder still would be possibly destroying 2 lives by bringing an unplanned child into the life of an unprepeared and unwilling mother.
it's not a matter of spirituality or morals to me, it's a matter of logic and personal best interests of the people involved. Sorry this is so long and if it isn't clear, things always make more sense in my head than when I try to express them to others, but I hope you get the idea of how I see it

August 28th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Daddy
I think there is a point where killing a fetus is wrong, although I don't believe there is a black-and-white diving line. Perhaps, somewhere between the 64-cell stage and brain/heart activity. Along with having sex comes a responsibility to care for a new human being... the question is... when does a new human being come to exist.
August 28th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am 100% pro-choice for me and for all women. I would not choose to have an abortion, but I will fight for my right to make that choice for myself and not have the government make it for me.

August 29th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
I am pro-life. I used to be pro-life for myself and pro-choice for others, but after watching a video of an ultrasound done during an abortion, I switched to 100% pro-life. I pay no attention to what religion has to do with the subject, I just listen to what my heart and mind tell me. And I was deeply concerned by what I saw in that video. Having children has also played a part in my views. Namely my first daughter, as my family tried to convince me to abort. So glad I ignored everything they tried to say!

August 29th, 2006, 10:04 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Quote:
So many people have a spiritual belief that stops them from having abortion.. Some people morals aside from religion... Some people have peace about them.. I have a spiritual side yet have peace about abortions.. How you feel about them?[/b]
(I'm going to copy and paste the answer I pm'd to Revamp earlier this week.)

Complicated! Personally, I could never see myself having one. Then again, I've never been in a situation that would warrent even thinking about one. I've only been pregnant twice, both times by my husband, and both pregnancies have been photo perfect.

I think that instead of trying to illegalize abortion, people should focus their efforts on better sexual education starting in early elementary school (or even earlier), better and easier access to birth control, and if someone does unintentionally end up pregnant they should receive encouragment to learn all their options, support to make the choice best for them, real facts about the baby's development and not propaganda, and not be made to feel any pressure. What little I've read about abortion suggests that the women are usually pushed into having it done, either because they have no support at all (family and community shuns them, baby-daddy leaves, etc), or their families are embarrassed and have it done for appearance's sake. "Our daughter can't have a baby, what would the neighbor's think?" or "We have to keep up the image of being good Christians, let's force Jane into having an abortion."

I don't think abortion should be illegalized because there will always be the rare case where it is justified, either for the physical or mental health of the mother, or the physical health of the baby. I, personally, could see myself carrying a terminal baby to term and letting it die naturally, but then I do not fear death like some people. Other women would go insane knowing they were carrying a baby with a major defect that was just going to die soon after birth. The thing is though, as far as I know there is no place to draw the line. If it's legal, it has to be legal for everyone. This further reiterates my point of why education and proper birth control is so important.

Did that make sense?

~Nay
August 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Veteran
Quote:
So many people have a spiritual belief that stops them from having abortion.. Some people morals aside from religion... Some people have peace about them.. I have a spiritual side yet have peace about abortions.. How you feel about them?[/b]
I view abortion as a necessary evil. I'd rather see unwanted pregnancy prevented through proper sex ed and birth control. I see abortion as undesirable since, as an atheist, I believe that we just have this life to live and that it is wrong to deny that life to another.

The sad thing is that the same spirtual belief that causes some to completely oppose abortion also causes them to oppose things that would prevent abortion.
August 30th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Quote:
The sad thing is that the same spirtual belief that causes some to completely oppose abortion also causes them to oppose things that would prevent abortion.[/b]
Yep, very sad that.

August 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The sad thing is that the same spirtual belief that causes some to completely oppose abortion also causes them to oppose things that would prevent abortion.[/b]

In addition...what happens to the pro-life ethic/spiritual belief in terms of warfare? Esp. wars being fought over gods!!! That life doesn't count?

(this tone is rhetorical in nature, not aimed at eatspam)
September 6th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Dayna1
I am also pro life for myself but pro choice for everyone else.

My friend had an abortion, I don't look down on her for doing that, it's her life and her decision.

But I wouldn't have one for myself.
September 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't imagine EVER having an abortion myself but I am certainly 100% pro-choice. I just don't think the government should have any more control over womens' bodies than they already do. I also don't really think it is fair to a child to be brought into this world unwanted. We have enough child abuse as it is.
September 20th, 2006, 07:59 AM
mrobinson
I've been thinking about getting a blinkie that says abortion is humane... because the pro-choice ones seem so overdone.
September 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Xtine's Avatar Hip Fresh & Famous
I am adamantly pro-choice but it is certainly not a choice that I could ever make for myself.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search