founding fathers quotes

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thought you guys might like these

John Adams:

“Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point of breaking out, ‘this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."

“I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved — the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!”

“The Doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.”

Thomas Jefferson:

“Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should ‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between church and State.”

“Our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, more than on our opinions in physics and geometry....The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”

“The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”

“I have examined all the known superstitions of the word, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth.”

Benjamin Franklin:

“My parents had given me betimes religious impressions, and I received from my infancy a pious education in the principles of Calvinism. But scarcely was I arrived at fifteen years of age, when, after having doubted in turn of different tenets, according as I found them combated in the different books that I read, I began to doubt of Revelation itself.”

Thomas Paine

“I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of....Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and of my own part, I disbelieve them all.”

“All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.”

Of course, many poeople seem to be deaf to these words and continue to believe religion has its place in the state.
August 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Someone should email these quotes to Katherine Harris so she can recognize!
August 30th, 2006, 02:06 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
People also swear up and down that every single president has been a devout christian.

I think I read somewhere that A. Lincoln was atheist. I'll go check...

~Nay

ETA: Found some stuff!

This is interesting. It's a series of questions and answers. http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml9468.htm

According to this 1870 letter written by a lifelong acquaintence of Lincoln, he was too logical and practical to even consider there being anything outside of scientific proof. Also, he wrote a book denouncing christianity and the idea that a man named Jesus is center to the religion but it was grabbed from his hands and thrown into a fire by a man who didn't want to see him risk his political career. http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/steiner0.htm

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."

- Abraham Lincoln, American president from http://www.wonderfulatheistsofcfl.org/Quotes.htm
August 31st, 2006, 01:58 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Someone should email these quotes to Katherine Harris so she can recognize![/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search