Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
The Baptism thread got me thinking on this one -

I know the official role of a 'godparent', according to the catholic church, is to ensure the child is raised knowing god - and to take care of the child if the parents were to die. Now, legally, even if a person is a 'god parent' they don't get custody of a child unless it's in a legal will, so it's just a title instead of an officially recognized thing.

I had a godmother when I was little. I called her 'Grandma Wetzle' - she was just like another grandma to me. She and my mom had been good friends for a long time (she worked under my mom at the VA, and even sold us our first house). Religion never came up. It was never a religious thing. She was just someone that my mom really loved and trusted, so she was my godmother.

Would you consider designating someone in a role like that, even though it's technically a religious tradition?
What are your thoughts on it?

August 30th, 2006, 02:05 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
I have a sister and a best friend who are both named Rachel. My bf is pratically a sister to me, so I wanted something familiar to call her for Ds's sake. We couldn't call them both Aunt Rachel so bf decided to call herself Godma Rachie. She knows we're atheist, and she's a deist of some sort so to us the name is not at all about religion. It works for us

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua">[b]I'm A
Natural Birthing, Delayed-Vaxing, Sleep Sharing, Baby Wearing, Tandem Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Never Spanking Mama to two Beautiful, Healthy and Intact Little Babies
August 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In our family, a godparent is who you want to take care of your child in case something happened to you. My husband's cousin is Peyton's godmother. I have no qualms using the term, but he just calls her "aunt".

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!
August 30th, 2006, 10:46 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I always understood godparents to be someone you choose to oversee your childs religious upbringing in the event that something happens to you. Not having baptized our children we didn't choose any. They do have honorary aunts and uncles though, sort of along the lines of godparents I suppose, friends who know us well who will look out for our kids best interests and be there for them.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 30th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our children have "godparents." Ironically, they are all now atheists or agnostics...guess we weasled our way outta that one!
taking jm breaks if you don't see me around much
September 6th, 2006, 06:29 AM
My baby won't have any godparents, but we have chosen someone who will raise him if something happens to us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search