Skepticism

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2006, 10:46 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
One thing all atheists have in common is skepticism in the commonly held belief of there being a god. As an atheist or agnostic, do you consider yourself to be skeptical in other ways as well?

When people ask, "how do you know ______" I tell them I question everything, but in reality that's impossible. There is no way to know everything and many things are so accepted no one even thinks to ask questions unless something points them in that direction. I think that, here in America anyhow, much of that blame lies at the feet of our capitalist society. Money makes our world spin 'round. That's why information about choices such as cloth diapering, cloth menstrual pads, alternative health, leaving a son intact, and non-drug methods of improving health are just far enough outside the mainstream that many people are unaware these controversies even exist.

Thoughts?

~Nay
September 1st, 2006, 06:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think that, here in America anyhow, much of that blame lies at the feet of our capitalist society. Money makes our world spin 'round. That's why information about choices such as cloth diapering, cloth menstrual pads, alternative health, leaving a son intact, and non-drug methods of improving health are just far enough outside the mainstream that many people are unaware these controversies even exist.[/b]
I'd like to add that Americans also have very little knowledge about the world outside the borders of the USA. This lack of world knowledge adds to the problems you mentioned and creates a society wherein what is done "here" is what is "normal, right, or good." Normal, I believe, is the one that causes the most problems.

Guzzling energy is "normal."
Cutting off pieces of infant genetalia is "normal."
Formula for babies is "normal."

With a wider world view, these things become decidedly abnormal.
September 1st, 2006, 07:26 AM
mrobinson
September 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM
It's interesting to note that neither of you are American by birth. That gives you the advantage of an outside perspective. Mrobinson, have you ever been to America? I think Isabellamom lives in the States now?

~Nay
September 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I'm a US citizen now...before i came here I had the impression that Americans were very world minded and that they probably knew a lot about other countries and other peoples. I thought this because america had so much involvement where I lived and all over the world. But I soon learned that just because your country has nfluence all over the world doesnt mean your citizens ever take the time to look outside their borders. (not to say other countries dont have this problem, too...I just didnt think I would run into it in the states.)
September 1st, 2006, 01:51 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
It's interesting to note that neither of you are American by birth. That gives you the advantage of an outside perspective. Mrobinson, have you ever been to America? I think Isabellamom lives in the States now?

~Nay[/b]
I have only visited, never lived there..

~ Seattle for a crazy weekend
~ Texas for another crazy weekend
~ LA for "work" which turned into a crazy weekend
~ Las Vegas for DH's "work" which turned into alot of fun..

Dh visits once a year.. We work with Americans and have so much American influence..

My grandparents are snowbirds.. They are so conservative. I'm shocked they haven't become full fledged Americans yet. My grandfather (and DH when I'm in a good mood) will constantly remind me about how our irish ancestors have been Americans for hundreds of years.. They don't like it much when I mention I'm native and those ancestors where here longer..

It's interesting how blindly so many Americans just follow.. It's scary because of how powerful the US is.. Americans are very sweet by nature so my worst nightmare is seeing the fall of the US. In so many other places theories of life are just respected and accepted along with religious values. People are expected to question and get answers from the government to prove transparency.. For some reason, the one country that promotes freedom and freedom of speech, is the least likely to embrace outside ideas from the Bible and would rather have government secrets.. It's so weird to me.

Canada has issue ~ no questions.. In regards to atheism, I thought it was assumed most people were.. Religion is something respected but kept more privately in an effort to not offend others. (Well, in my humble opinion.)
September 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
One thing all atheists have in common is skepticism in the commonly held belief of there being a god. As an atheist or agnostic, do you consider yourself to be skeptical in other ways as well?

When people ask, "how do you know ______" I tell them I question everything, but in reality that's impossible. There is no way to know everything and many things are so accepted no one even thinks to ask questions unless something points them in that direction. I think that, here in America anyhow, much of that blame lies at the feet of our capitalist society. Money makes our world spin 'round. That's why information about choices such as cloth diapering, cloth menstrual pads, alternative health, leaving a son intact, and non-drug methods of improving health are just far enough outside the mainstream that many people are unaware these controversies even exist.

Thoughts?

~Nay[/b]
Back to the concept of money/capitalism and such..

It scares me that people are willing to pay taxes for a massive military yet next to nothing for services for their kids, and claim to be family oriented.. They have a very selfish mentality in that respect. It feels sometimes that money matters more than family.
September 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts?

~Nay[/b]
Back to the concept of money/capitalism and such..

It scares me that people are willing to pay taxes for a massive military yet next to nothing for services for their kids, and claim to be family oriented.. They have a very selfish mentality in that respect. It feels sometimes that money matters more than family.
[/b]
I was against going to war in the middle east before Bush even deployed the first troops. I wrote about it on my website. I know that at first most Americans seemed to approve of the war but now most people I talk to are against it. Then there are people like my sister, who just will not or can not understand that the US has spent decades flexing its muscle in the middle east. She is convinced that the anger between our nations is all the fault of whichever country we're currently fighting against. People like her don't really care about the truth or ending the war to save lives. All she (they) care about is what they think their god wants.

~Nay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search