Santa versus Jesus

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2006, 11:19 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
This is just something I've thought of, nothing I've read or researched.

Santa Claus and Jesus/God have so much in common. All are all-seeing and all-knowing "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows if you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sakes". They all pass judgment "Making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty and nice". I think that little kids are introduced to the idea of Santa Claus as a way to mold their minds into an easier acceptance of Christianity. It's not a far throw from believing in a jolly man in a red fur suit to believing in a pacifist in a robe.

Thoughts?

~Nay
September 21st, 2006, 05:19 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
great post, naynay~ people seem to think that, above all else, my distaste for christmas, and refusal to introduce my son to santa, makes me a freak.

now, i have never been by here before, so if this has recently been discussed, please direct me to another post. but what do you all do? is christmas a thing in your home? i have been saying for years that i would not be doing christmas with my children. my mother has been giving me hell for it... she was raised jehovah's witness, and you know, they don't do the holiday thing either.

i never said i would not let him have gifts during the holiday season, BUT, not on December 25th. I figure we'll do it around the 1st. Call me evil, but I think that would be fun, to do it before everyone else. And I don't intend to wrap anything, just go on a bit of a shopping spree. I'll be sure to let the kids know that Santa is a big secret-- it's not okay to blow it for the other children they meet, who do believe. Same for Jesus...

It's never crossed my mind before, but yeah, I would have to agree, and take notice to the similarities. Who knows...

Also wanted to mention that I've seen posts by you around JM, and I think you have such a great head on your shoulders-- you seem so smart, together, and very respectful and open-minded. That's rather rare these days, and it's refreshing-- I appreciate your posts.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

September 21st, 2006, 07:04 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
You know, I had never noticed that! When the tradition of Saint Nick started, that was probably part of the reasoning!

However, I'm not sure if it's just Christianity that benefits these days. Many religions believe their deity or deities are all knowing, all seeing, and judgemental. More than anything, it really just makes it easier for children to accept any sort of "higher being" as plausible and even a welcome thought. After all, Santa gives presents, so what would xyz deity give?

That being said, I'm pretty sure most parents don't see Santa that way. More than anything, in today's society he's an excuse to spoil and a way to try to get the kids to behave.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
September 21st, 2006, 07:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We celebrate Christmas with our family here usually. But this year (and it seems for future christmases too) we will be celebrating in Brazil with DH's family. So, we will be getting together on the 25th. We won't be attending church with them or participating in the religious traditions of the day.

Our oldest is three and I'm not even sure she gets the Santa thing. We haven't told her that Santa brings her gifts; i think she willknow they are from us since we are brining them on the plane with us! The big suitcase will be filled with gifts for this trip. But she has seen "santa specials" on TV when we go (ya know, like the night before christmas and whatnot).

I love Christmas for seeing family and gifts and fun. BUt, with the traveling and the rushing and the fending off the Catholics

As far as the Santa and Jesus idea; i could definitely see the relation. I don't know as of yet if Santa will be a natural occurance in our family or if our kids are just oing to grow up knowing we are santa (and the gifts are in the suitcase).
September 21st, 2006, 10:41 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great connection! So true.

We do celebrate Christmas - but only from the family/present aspect. My mom hated Santa growing up and when one of our decorative Santas started to literally lose his head she hung him upside down by his foot with an almost decapitated head. I have a sister who is five years older than me so I never really had a chance to enjoy the whole Santa experience.

I do think I will do the whole Santa thing though. I think there is a lot of fun potential in believing that there is a magical person who brings presents one day a year. I wish I could change the whole white guy image though. SO I am not completely sure how I will handle this.

My roommate LOVES Santa and has been begging me to let Liliana grow up believeing in him. She has a little decorative Santa that she puts up every year. I always turn him around and make him face the corner and tell her that he was acting up and is in time out. And then last year would stick him outside and ring the doorbell and mt roommate would go to answer the door and her Santa would sitting there. Hehe. Yeah, I am not so fond of the guy and love driving my roommate crazy.
September 21st, 2006, 01:15 PM
kadydid
Santa Clause is based on a few different gods, IMO mainly Odin.

Christmas does not bug me, but it used to. Most of the things we do for Christmas have nothing to do with the bible god or Christ. December 25th was not Jesus birthday it was a date picked because they wanted to weed out the pagan holidays.

I like having these traditions with my kids. I am not sure if I will do Santa with Owen, I did with Joshua and Andrew, and they were seriously ticked when they found out I was lying.

I have been told by my parents, that I should not be allowed to celebrate Christmas anymore. They just want to have my kids during the holidays.
September 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Quote:
great post, naynay~ ...
Also wanted to mention that I've seen posts by you around JM, and I think you have such a great head on your shoulders-- you seem so smart, together, and very respectful and open-minded. That's rather rare these days, and it's refreshing-- I appreciate your posts. [/b]
Wow thanks for the very kind words. I was floored to read them.

I'll respond to the posts later tonight (unless I'm finally in labor. Only 6 days overdue so far )

~Nay
September 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Our plan is to celebrate Christmas and tell our kids about Santa, but we will say that Santa is not real and it is a big game that everyone plays this time of year and they get to play along.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search