athiesm and college

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm just popping in. About two years ago, after much soul searching, one of my good friends decided she's athiest. She was raised in a very christian home, her uncle has a church that falls between pentecostal and baptist, but never felt comfortable with the religion. She finally made the decision in her early twenties.

Unfortunately her mom blames the fact that my friend is in college. She feels like her daughter abandoned christianity because it was "uncool" around campus. (This is completely untrue. Religion is much more popular at my school. There are probably at least a dozen different religious groups compared to one athiest organization.) My friend has tried to explain that she has had these feelings since childhood, she even showed her mom a diary from third grade where she expressed doubt, but her mom continues to believe that college killed her child's faith in God. She even said that she would never have sent her daughter to school if she knew this was going to happen. Yes that's right, she would prefer an uneducated child that is a member of her family's church to one that is educated and ANY other religion (even a different branch of christianity).

Anyway, I was wondering if something similar has happened to any of you?

October 15th, 2006, 12:31 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Hi, I'm just popping in. About two years ago, after much soul searching, one of my good friends decided she's athiest. She was raised in a very christian home, her uncle has a church that falls between pentecostal and baptist, but never felt comfortable with the religion. She finally made the decision in her early twenties.

Unfortunately her mom blames the fact that my friend is in college. She feels like her daughter abandoned christianity because it was "uncool" around campus. (This is completely untrue. Religion is much more popular at my school. There are probably at least a dozen different religious groups compared to one athiest organization.) My friend has tried to explain that she has had these feelings since childhood, she even showed her mom a diary from third grade where she expressed doubt, but her mom continues to believe that college killed her child's faith in God. She even said that she would never have sent her daughter to school if she knew this was going to happen. Yes that's right, she would prefer an uneducated child that is a member of her family's church to one that is educated and ANY other religion (even a different branch of christianity).

Anyway, I was wondering if something similar has happened to any of you?[/b]
I was at Costco once, and I was behind two old men who kept looking back and smiling at my little one, and trying to joke with him. A little while later they returned to their conversation and I kid you not, the one said to the other, “I tried to tell my granddaughter not to get brainwashed by those godless liberal professors at her college, but she didn’t want to listen to me”
I think people are looking for a reason for atheism, not realizing that it is the religion itself that turns people away or to other religion alternatives.
October 15th, 2006, 04:37 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
She even said that she would never have sent her daughter to school if she knew this was going to happen. Yes that's right, she would prefer an uneducated child that is a member of her family's church to one that is educated and ANY other religion (even a different branch of christianity).

Anyway, I was wondering if something similar has happened to any of you?[/b]
You know what? It was here on JM that I seen it first ~ on the debate boards. It makes me so sad.

Quote:
I think people are looking for a reason for atheism, not realizing that it is the religion itself that turns people away or to other religion alternatives.[/b]

Either a person's faith is strong or it isn't. Blame isn't going to "fix" the problem.
October 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I completely agree that people look for a reason. It just amazes me that college is often to blame. Those two old men are a perfect example. Brainwashed by those godless liberal professors indeed.

Quote:
You know what? It was here on JM that I seen it first ~ on the debate boards. It makes me so sad.[/b]
Really, you've seen it on here? Wow that is sad. Do the people who say that believe the young adults are being brainwashed? Or do they have another explanation?

October 15th, 2006, 06:02 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Really, you've seen it on here? Wow that is sad. Do the people who say that believe the young adults are being brainwashed? Or do they have another explanation?[/b]
Well, I might be saying this incorrectly to mean the same thing...

There are people here who don't think education beyond high school is necessary because their role of God is to be mothers. They don't think education is necessary because of their faith. To them it's taking them away from their purpose, according to their faith.
October 16th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's frightening to know that there are folks that would rather raise their children in a bubble than to allow them a chance to choose for themselves how they would think. Even in their own doctrine, Christianity says that man's freewill is one of God's gifts.

My atheism was more or less solidified while in college studying human anthropology, but by then I was already well on my way to thinking and questioning blind faith.
October 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well, I might be saying this incorrectly to mean the same thing...

There are people here who don't think education beyond high school is necessary because their role of God is to be mothers. They don't think education is necessary because of their faith. To them it's taking them away from their purpose, according to their faith.[/b]
This case is a little different. My friend's mom definitely encouraged all of her children to attend college. She wants her children to be educated and have good careers. (I believe everyone but the youngest have had at least some post highschool education. ) However she now regrets my friend going because she feels it caused her to be athiest. If my friend had remained christian, her mom would have no problem with her being in college.

I have, unfortunately, first hand experience with the type of people you're talking about. I go to a public university and several times a year various religious groups will come on campus. Some just pass out bibles or other pamphlets. Some, however, get into loud debates or shout at the students.

For example:

My freshman year a group appeared on campus with several of their members, including children, holding heavy crosses. They yelled at us and said Jesus never told us to go to college.

A couple of years ago another group came with signs saying that we were being brainwashed by the university. When we tried to walk past them, they'd scream at us that we were sinners.

Quote:
My atheism was more or less solidified while in college studying human anthropology[/b]
That must be it! My friend is an anthropology and biology major.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search