Help please

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can someone explain to me what being an athiest/agnostic is all about? I am so confused for myself. I believe in no religion that I've heard of, I think the bible is a bunch of bull and I don't *think* I believe in god. I do believe somthing happens when we die but I have no clue what it is. If anyone can help me sort out my thoughts, it would be much appreciated. I've been so confused for so long and it's getting worse now that I'm having a baby and I don't know how I'm going to keep my uber-religious in-laws from teaching my children that their mother is a bad person.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

October 26th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
I just wrote out a huge long post to mwp921 on this sort of subject ealier today so I'm gonna cop out and copy some of what I wrote there into here

Gnostic is "to know" and agnostic is simply "not knowing". You don't know. You can't know. So you just live your life as best you can without the weight of religion to confuse and jumble things. Theist is to believe and Atheist is to Not Believe.

Most people are Atheist to most every religion in the world, and a Theist to one. Christians are Atheists to the Zeus, Amaterasu, Ra, Siddhartha Gautama, Shiva, and Mohammed but Theists to Yahweh/Jehovah (Christian & Jewish God).

I just don't see a distinction between them. To me Yahweh is just as made up as Zeus. Both were created by men to make sense of the world.

I wrote a LOT more here:
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=377506

October 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much. Honestly, I feel so much better now. I've read up on it - all last night and this morning I've been reading, and I realized I'm agnostic. I've always asked people well, how do you know? You can't. It's Impossible. Now I have more confidence to fight fil on trying to turn me into a baptist. I always used to use the 'I'm catholic so leave me alone' but I could never fight with it because I don't believe in it. Now, I can just tell him to mind his own business and I'll believe what I want to. I still hate not knowing what happens when we die but I'm always coming up with theories to make myself feel better, lol! Thanks again.

ps. Does the fact that I don't believe in any religion or the bible make me partially athiest too? that part I haven't been able to figure out yet. The only thing I do believe in is that somthing happens when we die - I don't think we just stop existing.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

October 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
Yeah in a way. You can be atheist to most things and agnostic to other things. Most everyone is an atheist to most religions in the world.

An agnostic would say that they can't know for sure if the bible is right or wrong, while an atheist would say that they're pretty darn sure that the bible is total bunk.

Most people are atheist to Zues. People don't believe that Zues was real. We all know that he never existed. He was just a god that people in greece believe in a long time ago but now we know he isn't real. We don't really know. There really isn't any way to know that the greeks were wrong. But we still think that now we know that Zues isn't real. So we're all Zues Atheist. lol.

A christian who believes in Yahweh is an Atheist to Ra or Shiva, or Amaterasu. But you'd never really find a Christian calling themselves Atheist - heh.

The thing is that the word "Atheist" sort of has a bad rep. A lot of people have a distorted view of what the word really means.

There are a lot of people in the world who will say that they don't believe in god, but only a portion of those people will actually call themselves "Atheists".

They are, though. By definition of the word they are a - theist to the belief in a higher power. But they still don't associate their belief or lack there of with the word "Atheist".

And by some definitions the term Atheist is to describe people who don't believe in anything supernatural or unexplainable at all. But I don't think that it really needs to be that restrictive.

I'd say I'm mostly atheist and partially agnostic. There are a number of things that in my mind, I'm pretty darn sure aren't real. I don't believe in them at all. But I'm open minded enough to say "yeah, sure. It's possible. I don't think it's Probable, but I'll conceed that it's possible." So in that regard, I'm agnostic.

October 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, you really made things clear for me. I appreciate it. : )

October 30th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Aubree's Avatar Veteran
Man Athey we have more in common then I ever would imagine, pretty cool ^^

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search