Odd Situation

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to GirLStaR
I visited one of my neighboors today and in the middle of it she asked me about religion. She doesn't know I don't believe in God btw. Her and her family are VERY christians and for a moment I went blank and didnt know what to say... BUT then I felt like well of she asked then I'll give her an answer. She asked bc she wanted to invite me to some Bible study thing. I told her I've learned a lot about different religions and stuff and don't know what I believe. She asked me like what? so I answered her with some facts like other religions that existed before christianity and how the Bible has some of these stories almost identical or why she thinks it took 1400 years for the Bible to be put together, etc. But oh boy I was feeling some tension.

She said I could speak to her pastor about my "confusion" and maybe he could help me.. I don't know. It would be interesting to hear what a pastor would answer to my million questions with no answer about the Bible but there's probably no point.

What do you guys think? There's no way the pastor will make me believe in christianity so if I go and talk to him what's the point right? I have no religion and that I don't believe in God or the Bible or any of that. There are a few things that I think are maybe possible but for the most part I pretty much believe in what I see every day and can be proven
November 7th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
I visited one of my neighboors today and in the middle of it she asked me about religion. She doesn't know I don't believe in God btw. Her and her family are VERY christians and for a moment I went blank and didnt know what to say... BUT then I felt like well of she asked then I'll give her an answer. She asked bc she wanted to invite me to some Bible study thing. I told her I've learned a lot about different religions and stuff and don't know what I believe. She asked me like what? so I answered her with some facts like other religions that existed before christianity and how the Bible has some of these stories almost identical or why she thinks it took 1400 years for the Bible to be put together, etc. But oh boy I was feeling some tension.

She said I could speak to her pastor about my "confusion" and maybe he could help me.. I don't know. It would be interesting to hear what a pastor would answer to my million questions with no answer about the Bible but there's probably no point.

What do you guys think? There's no way the pastor will make me believe in christianity so if I go and talk to him what's the point right? I have no religion and that I don't believe in God or the Bible or any of that. There are a few things that I think are maybe possible but for the most part I pretty much believe in what I see every day and can be proven[/b]
It will depend on the knowledge and tactics of the pastor. I suspect most pastors can provide a really good argument for religion. Those that do will come at it from a philosophical viewpoint. After I left Christianity, I met with my ex-pastor a couple times... it did nothing to change my mind. It helps to actively debate religion so you can quickly come up with rational answers. One of the most active ways to debate religion is on IRC chat using a program like mIRC. The server is: irc.dal.net and the channel is: #ChristianDebate.
November 10th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Aubree's Avatar Veteran
Perhaps you should check out Richard Dawkins, look at the topic Root of all Evil.

November 10th, 2006, 11:05 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to GirLStaR
Thank you so much! I don't think my neighboor's pastor is a smart one, but we'll see. I will not go talk to him unprepared though. I'm going to check out the souce smt gave me and after I feel like I would have a good argument, I'll set up an appt. I'll let you guys know. I don't want to go with the intention to be mean or really argue with the pastor. I just want to talk about everything I know and see what response I get. It seems like a lot of christians will not respond to debate boards or just conversations when simple questions that threaten their beliefs. If I go to talk to this pastor I'll be in front of him so he'll have to give me an answer... or kick me out of his church! lol.
January 4th, 2007, 02:29 AM
mrsgishie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mrsgishie
Quote:
Thank you so much! I don't think my neighboor's pastor is a smart one, but we'll see. I will not go talk to him unprepared though. I'm going to check out the souce smt gave me and after I feel like I would have a good argument, I'll set up an appt. I'll let you guys know. I don't want to go with the intention to be mean or really argue with the pastor. I just want to talk about everything I know and see what response I get. It seems like a lot of christians will not respond to debate boards or just conversations when simple questions that threaten their beliefs. If I go to talk to this pastor I'll be in front of him so he'll have to give me an answer... or kick me out of his church! lol.[/b]

Just wondering how it went??? Tell us everything!! lol

Rachel
DD Sarah Abbey born 9-8-04 (@ 34.3 wks, 5 lbs 1 oz. pre-eclampsia)</div><div align="center">DS Corbin Carroll born 6-29-06 (@ 35.3 wks, 6 lbs 3 oz. pre-eclampsia. emergency c-section)</div><div align="center"><span style="font-family:Franklin Gothic Medium">See MySpace</span></div>
<div align="center"> </div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search