Gyahhhh...

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
GAAH - I just feel so frustrated. Everywhere it's just Christmas Christmas Christmas Christmas Christmas Christmas Christmas Christmas.

I don't mind christmas as a family get-together. I don't mind the gifts - it's fun. I enjoy that part. It's a tradition and all that. But it seems like everywhere I turn everyone is going on and on about the religious aspects of it.

It never really seemed like that in years past, but I just wasn't paying any attention to it then.

I think that in years past I just ignored the HUGE MASSES of religious references EVERYWHERE and just had the whole 'people can do/believe whatever they want, as long as it doesn't interfere with me, I don't care' attitude... But now that I've got Kaya I almost feel like I'm being uber reactive to it all as a protective mechinism. I just keep seeing all this stuff - subliminal, etc. references to christian believes in EVERYTHING. And I feel like I just want to protect her from all this indoctrined crap...

So I think I'm being especially sensitive to it this year.

In the playroom I frequent it's really starting to get bad - lol. Everyone is talking about their religious traditions. They're all talking about CHURCH. GAAHH.
I feel like the only person in there who doesn't buy into all that stupid crap.

I just needed to vent a little. *sigh* I guess it's just eating away at me and I needed to get some of it out.

November 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Kath M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you hear they are going to start saying "Merry Christmas" again at walmart intead of "Happy Holidays". I think Macy's is doing something like that too. It is everywhere....and I swear it comes out earlier every year. I saw stuff out at Halloween! Geeze.

BTW I love your siggy, Kaya is a doll.

November 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to GirLStaR
I know how you feel. I love christmas though but also as a family get together and day to share gifts with each other. I often wonder how I'm going to guide Eric and protect him from all the religious bs. I don't know the answer either.. If you figure it out let me know ((hugs)).
November 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love x-mas. All the decorations, snow, presents... I am sick and tired of hearing the religious parts of it and I have no idea how to deal with it without getting angry.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

November 16th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Quote:
I love x-mas. All the decorations, snow, presents... I am sick and tired of hearing the religious parts of it and I have no idea how to deal with it without getting angry.[/b]
That's pretty much how I feel. I don't like the idea of Santa Claus either, and that one's going to be just as hard to avoid/explain/etc.

I guess, when the time comes (since I haven't even given birth yet!), I feel it is important to explain that some people believe that stuff, but mommy and daddy don't. I don't think I have a problem with my boy learning about it, since ignorance of it would most definitely be worse (imo, of course). I just hope that he never buys into it!
November 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can empathize with your frustration. I felt that for a long time....now, I think I've become pretty adept at tuning it out. What I struggle with is the sudden need to be giving that influences people during this time of year. Being charitable and giving is a good thing, in my opinion....but it's not just for christmas....that's guilt. Over-indulgence in materialism seems to make the masses feel guilty for enjoying life and the philanthropy makes them feel better about it.

I may be a tad cynical.
November 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I'm late, because I only poke my nose in here once in a while ... but I'm with you. I love Christmas as a family tradition - the meals, the gifts, Santa, etc. That's all cool. I'm still in a sort of ignore mode though when it starts turning to all the religious stuff. I don't mind Eric knowing about religion, so I don't get that defensive; it's sort of like homosexuality, it exists, but it's not our way, and that's how I plan to teach him so he doesn't end up discriminating or anything.

I haven't really been overwhelmed by the religious Christmas stuff in the playroom yet, but I thought my head was going to explode if I saw one more baptism thread, heh.

Just figured I'd post so you knew you weren't TOTALLY alone!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM
MomClell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Athey, you're certainly not alone. I didn't even know this forum was here until I saw the link in your siggie today while posting in the playroom about, well, Christmas

DH and I aren't religious either. I grew up in a religious family. I went to church until I was 19 and for the most part I hated it. There were a few years there when I thought I believed, but I think I enjoyed going to see my friends more than anything. I stopped going when I realized how much it annoyed me when someone started relating everything that happened to god. I've been much happier ever since.

Anyhow... I'm with you Kel. I don't get too upset about it (I like the example you used). I want Jonas to know that there are many religions and beliefs out there, and will support him in whatever choices he makes. That's the big thing for me though: it has to be his decision.

As far as Santa is concerned, like I posted in the playroom, I'll refer to him as a Christmas character. Like the Winnie the Pooh of the holidays. I'll let him have fun with it since it will be all around him (singing Rudolph, seeing Santa at malls, etc.) but I don't intend to tell him that Santa is really watching him to see if he's been good enough for Christmas presents.
Moira, mom to Jonas (July '06), and Liam (miscarried at 17 weeks, March '14). Awaiting Baby #3!!

December 1st, 2006, 07:47 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
...You mean Winnie the Pooh isn't real?!

I do like the idea of introducing Santa as a character rather than a real person though. I may have to consider that as an option.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search