Holy Wars

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Number_3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As the US enters it's 5th year in this "war on terror," I thought I'd start a thread on the atheist/agnostic perspective on wars over so called holy land, jihads, and basically anything that the middle east has been consumed with for ages that is fueled by religion.

It seems there have been more people slain in the name of gods over the ages than any devil I know.
If the earth were secular, what would be today's common points of conflict?
January 8th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Marieke's Avatar Mommy to an angel
Most wars (especially in the middle east) are because of religions... And it sickens me. Religions are the biggest sects ever invented! But I think even if we didn't have religions, people would fight anyway. There's always something to fight about, when it's not religion, it's money, when it's not money, it's race. it's sad

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF #1 (september 2012): 11 eggs, none fertilized, no transfer
IVF ICSI #1 (may 2013), 1 blastocyst: (m/c 7 weeks )
FET #1 (october 2013), 1 blastocyst:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
IVF ICSI #2.1 (coming soon)
January 8th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Yep. I was going to say the next thing to fight about is power over land & resources - but I'm sure that would most likely entail some sort of racial struggles. I guess it's the nature of the beast.
January 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
Did either of you see that episode of South Park where Dawkins comes to the school to teach about evolution, and Cartman ends up a thousand years in the future and there's no religion? If not you should - lol.

It's actually exactly about this. Basically the whole world is Atheist and there are 3 main sects and they're at war with each other for the stupidest reasons. It's basically a statement that even if there were no religion to fight over, it's human nature to find other equally stupid reasons to kill each other.

January 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really have the feeling it would be racial.

Or maybe it would still be philosophical! Maybe there would be conflict between groups who believed altruism is a virtue and those who think rational self-interest is best.

Maybe that would even be aligned along racial lines eventually.

</div>
January 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Did either of you see that episode of South Park where Dawkins comes to the school to teach about evolution, and Cartman ends up a thousand years in the future and there's no religion? If not you should - lol.

It's actually exactly about this. Basically the whole world is Atheist and there are 3 main sects and they're at war with each other for the stupidest reasons. It's basically a statement that even if there were no religion to fight over, it's human nature to find other equally stupid reasons to kill each other.[/b]
I did see the one where Cartman is in the future searching for a Nintendo Wii and the same groups are there fighting. Is that the same episode or a sequel to that one?....I love South Park, those guys are pretty much right on top of the day's heated subjects.
January 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, the episode was a 2-parter. Carman was too impatient to wait two weeks for the Wii to be released, so he frooze himself and told Butters to come get him when the Wii was out, but an avalance burried him under a mountain of snow so he was there until a thousand years in the future when people dug him up.

Back in Present-Day Richard Dawkins comes to Southpark to teach the kids about Evolution and falls for "Mrs Garrison" and doesn't realize that he's actually a man who had a sex change. Apparently Mrs Garrison goes kinda crazy obsessive and takes up Dawkins Atheist cause and manages to convert the world to Atheism and that's why in the future is all Atheists.

At one point Cartman manages to make a phone call to the past and calls Mr Garrison and gets Dawkins on the phone and informs him that Mrs Garrison is actually Mr Garrison, and that changes the future. lol...

But yeah - South Park is really amazing in how well they manage to handle serious subjects and point out how stupid they are and make fun.

February 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM
kadydid
We could debate them?

Oh we don’t have to worry about it, because I just watched Jesus camp, and they are preparing an army for god to fight the “enemy”. Just like in radical Islam they are training up their kids to be soldiers of the lord!!

I seen that south park episode. It was funny.
March 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Xtine's Avatar Hip Fresh & Famous
If there were no religion conflicts would arise over any differences - cultural, racial, habitual, linguistic - that people who were previously separated from each other and then joined together perceived. I just happen to think that religion is the one cultural component that makes conflict between peoples particularly bloody and heated. I also think it tends to prolong conflict, and has and does lead peoples to try and enforce beliefs on "conquered" populations.

History would be very different if there were no religion (probably worlds better, but who knows), yet there would still be war and pain.
March 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Yup. There would still be war and pain, but I agree that it is very possible that religion being a part of it can often make a conflict worse or last a lot longer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search