I Thought Jesus was Feminist..

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
SchwarzeWitwe's Avatar Veteran
http://www.teens-4-christ.org/board/...showtopic=2138

I have no problem with religion, but I do think it can cause harm. This is one of those times.

These authority figures (as much as a site owner can be an "authority figure" to young, impressionable people) are telling young girls that God wants you to stay home, and if you work, you've failed as a wife and a mother, and in God's eyes.

!!!!

Oh, and did I mention that you should NEVER allow your husband to do a single chore, or clean up after himself? It's YOUR job, since you have the vagina! His desk job is SOOO HARD, don't you want to properly serve your king? (Paraphrasing here, but it's close).

One thing that made me sad was a young teenage girl who says:
Yes, I do believe that a young lady should not go to college, get a job, etc. without her fathers consent. You are under your fathers roof, therefore you are under him in authority. Where in the Bible does it say that as soon as you turn 18, you need to move away from your parents, get a job, and begin your career?

Great. So what if your father is manipulative like mine?

It's both sad and funny.

(Note that this is NOT a post on SAHMs who do so willingly, but rather the attitude of these people)

Julian Marcus. Andrew Thomas. Michael anything.

Isabella Simone. Genevieve Amalia. Alexandra Katharine. Lucia Elizabeth.
February 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Marieke's Avatar Mommy to an angel
I know it's disgusting. But there are people that think that women should stay home and do everything because it's what women should do or because God created them for that. Makes me wanna gag, to be honest...

I wanna be a SAHM, not because I'm a slave, but because I wanna raise my children and give them the best education. My SO and I are both atheists.

And I agree with you that religion can cause harm. Religion is the reason for all the hatred in the world. It's the reason for war, for racism, for women that aren't respected...

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF #1 (september 2012): 11 eggs, none fertilized, no transfer
IVF ICSI #1 (may 2013), 1 blastocyst: (m/c 7 weeks )
FET #1 (october 2013), 1 blastocyst:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
IVF ICSI #2.1 (coming soon)
February 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM
SchwarzeWitwe's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I wanna be a SAHM, not because I'm a slave, but because I wanna raise my children and give them the best education. My SO and I are both atheists.[/b]
And it's your choice, and I applaud you for it. But for these girls, they're not "allowed" to have higher education or do anything other than housesit, and that makes me sad.

Julian Marcus. Andrew Thomas. Michael anything.

Isabella Simone. Genevieve Amalia. Alexandra Katharine. Lucia Elizabeth.
February 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be a SAHM (I am home right now) but I am definitely not a slave like that! And I would never want that for my daughters. My DF is studying engineering ... when he comes home from school or work I read his textbooks and we talk about engineering (my grandfather was an engineer too). I help him with his theoretical physics homework! I would love to tell people like that ... "Oh yes I am staying at home and we are not using birth control because when it happens it happens ... but btw I already have a degree, I'll be homeschooling my children and NOT mentioning the Bible, we don't go to church, and I know physics better than my DF does."

My daughters will be able to do whatever they want. Even if one tells me from the first day she can talk that she wants to be a mommy and stay home I will still make her educate herself and encourage her to go to college. I've thought about getting more degrees but at this point I can learn just as much sitting here and reading. Sometimes DF comes home and not only am I still in my PJs, nothing's been cleaned. He knows to ask what I was reading that day! It must have been interesting if it occupied me all that time.

Sometimes I worry about my kids thinking men are somehow better than women because I'll be at home and their dad won't ... but honestly, if they listen to our conversations and pay attention to what I teach them they will understand that I'm just as intelligent as he is and having that potential means you can do ANYTHING you want. I am more fulfilled here than I would be sitting behind a desk because here I can research and learn whatever I want on my free time, whereas if I had a job, I would be working on someone else's time and priorities! B)

That is the kind of Christian that I especially don't like btw! Trying to convert people is one thing but trying to convert people AND make them sexist is entirely different.

</div>
February 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's what I felt was the most horrid post of all:

""We own a book that I think answers that question very well. It gives ten biblical reason why it is wrong for a mother to work outside of the home.
1. She violates Scripture. God intended for the home to be the center of a mother's world. Titus 2:3. woman should be "discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obediant to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blashemed."
2. She neglects her children. Children need their mother at all times. Their needs are as urgent as they are unscheduled. No one can take the place of a mother. God expects the mother to whom He has entrusted that child, to care for him.
3. She is unfulfilled. The only way the a woman can find meaning and indentity in her life is to discover and fulfill the purpose for which God made her. Scripture clearly showes us that the woman ws made to be a " help meet" to her husband. She will not find fulfillment by trying to copy a man's role.
4. She damages her marriage. When a mother tries to establish her independance outside of the home, she wounds the spirit of her marriage and the love between her and her husband. Love is strengthened when each partner realizes how much they need each other. When we do not think we need God we lose our love for him, the same goes for a mother and her husband and children.
5. She may transfer her affections. When a wife works for another man she displays some of the attitudes of an ideal wife toward him. During the working hours she is alert to his needs and desires, is flexible, her expectaitons are minimal, and she is grateful for whatever he does to make her job easier. Her grateful spirit encourages him to do more for her, which in turn she will show more apprecaition and admiration to him. Then she could begin to compare her husband unfavorably to her employer, which leads to damage in thier marriage. And the employer may do the same to his wife.
6.If a wife finds a job which she enjoys outside of the home, she will find that she is in two different worlds, one at home and one at work. Each has its demands and rewards. As the Bible tells us, no man can serve two masters, she would eventually have to chose between the two.
7. She suffers destructive pressures. When a mother works outside of the home she faces and additional set of pressures and tensions. These produce physical and emotional stress, which are then transfered to her family.
8. She neglects vital home functions. If a mother gives her time, energy, and talent to an outside job, she is less able to fulfill God-given functions in the home for lack of time.
9. She sets a bad example. Some woman appear to to function effectivaly in two worlds, however, other mothers can not. And by doing that they are setting a bad exapmle to those other women.
10. She is financially unwise. The reason many mothers work outside the home is to make ends meet. But if a woman develops the potential functions of her home and practices wise buying can greatly increase the finances of the home. Then in the book it showes a list of extra expenses cuased by the mother working outside the home: federal income tax, state income tax, social securtiy tax, tithe, transportation, meals, resaurant and carry-out meals (for lack of time to prepare one), extra clothes and cleaning, forfeited savings on thrift shopping, employee insurance, day care, and "I owe myself" expenses. It ended up that it either came out even or the family actually lost money.
I know many of you will not agree with these, but I thought I'd put them up for those of you who may learn from them, or just as a thought provoker!""

This post just kind of... freezes my brain. Does... not... compute. I can't believe there are people who subscribe to this. In 2007!! Are you kidding me??

February 26th, 2007, 02:47 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Here's what I felt was the most horrid post of all:

""We own a book that I think answers that question very well. It gives ten biblical reason why it is wrong for a mother to work outside of the home.
1. She violates Scripture. God intended for the home to be the center of a mother's world. Titus 2:3. woman should be "discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obediant to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blashemed."
2. She neglects her children. Children need their mother at all times. Their needs are as urgent as they are unscheduled. No one can take the place of a mother. God expects the mother to whom He has entrusted that child, to care for him.
3. She is unfulfilled. The only way the a woman can find meaning and indentity in her life is to discover and fulfill the purpose for which God made her. Scripture clearly showes us that the woman ws made to be a " help meet" to her husband. She will not find fulfillment by trying to copy a man's role.
4. She damages her marriage. When a mother tries to establish her independance outside of the home, she wounds the spirit of her marriage and the love between her and her husband. Love is strengthened when each partner realizes how much they need each other. When we do not think we need God we lose our love for him, the same goes for a mother and her husband and children.
5. She may transfer her affections. When a wife works for another man she displays some of the attitudes of an ideal wife toward him. During the working hours she is alert to his needs and desires, is flexible, her expectaitons are minimal, and she is grateful for whatever he does to make her job easier. Her grateful spirit encourages him to do more for her, which in turn she will show more apprecaition and admiration to him. Then she could begin to compare her husband unfavorably to her employer, which leads to damage in thier marriage. And the employer may do the same to his wife.
6.If a wife finds a job which she enjoys outside of the home, she will find that she is in two different worlds, one at home and one at work. Each has its demands and rewards. As the Bible tells us, no man can serve two masters, she would eventually have to chose between the two.
7. She suffers destructive pressures. When a mother works outside of the home she faces and additional set of pressures and tensions. These produce physical and emotional stress, which are then transfered to her family.
8. She neglects vital home functions. If a mother gives her time, energy, and talent to an outside job, she is less able to fulfill God-given functions in the home for lack of time.
9. She sets a bad example. Some woman appear to to function effectivaly in two worlds, however, other mothers can not. And by doing that they are setting a bad exapmle to those other women.
10. She is financially unwise. The reason many mothers work outside the home is to make ends meet. But if a woman develops the potential functions of her home and practices wise buying can greatly increase the finances of the home. Then in the book it showes a list of extra expenses cuased by the mother working outside the home: federal income tax, state income tax, social securtiy tax, tithe, transportation, meals, resaurant and carry-out meals (for lack of time to prepare one), extra clothes and cleaning, forfeited savings on thrift shopping, employee insurance, day care, and "I owe myself" expenses. It ended up that it either came out even or the family actually lost money.
I know many of you will not agree with these, but I thought I'd put them up for those of you who may learn from them, or just as a thought provoker!""

This post just kind of... freezes my brain. Does... not... compute. I can't believe there are people who subscribe to this. In 2007!! Are you kidding me??[/b]
I sent that to my DH.. He couldn't believe that. I can't either.
February 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to GirLStaR
I felt like my IQ dropped at least 30 points reading those posts. I cannot believe how ignorant people can be.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search