Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, etc??

Forum: Atheist and Agnostic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Atheist and Agnostic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2007, 12:22 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am wondering how you guys handle the *other* made-up stories. Do your children believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy?

If so, is it due to personal choice or more because "it's fun for kids" to believe?

If not, is it hard on your child to not have the fun aspects of believing in these magical fairy tales? Does he/she feel different from other kids?

I don't have kids yet, but I kind of think I want them to believe in Santa and Easter Bunny because those are the secular aspects of those holidays (the only aspects we will be celebrating). But I also wonder how it is really different from telling kids to believe in the Bible stories.

February 24th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not telling them that Santa Claus is literally real and absolutely does come down chimneys (we don't have chimneys anyway) or that presents are "from" him.

I always viewed Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc as "hypotheticals", even though my mom never sat down and explained it to me as such.

My parents treated them the same way as religion; we talked about it but there was no "one way". They told me about Santa Claus but since my father is Cajun we also knew about Papa Noel (who goes through the bayou in a pirogue drawn by gators and leaves presents on your porch), and even to a child, knowing BOTH those stories kind of convinces you that Santa isn't truly "real" but he IS "there", even if it's just in people's hearts/minds/consciences/whatevers.

I think as their reasoning skills improve, as they get a little older, they'll start to understand what's going on. After that I won't try to convince them "No, Santa really IS literally real!". That's what I think is wrong. Kids aren't stupid and once they figure it out, you shouldn't insult their intelligence.

I actually think a mental exercise like that (having to deduce that Santa is really just a symbol of generosity or whatever and he does exist in that sense but no other) would be great practice for them to deal with "heavy" subjects, like religion, philosophy, and morality later on.

</div>
March 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
mrsgishie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mrsgishie
my parents taught us from the get-go that the easter bunny, santa clause, etc. were not real. looking back on it i really feel like i missed out on some of the 'fun' of being a kid! we are letting our children 'believe' in all of them just for the fun of it kuz i don't want them to feel like they had missed out on fun and i don't want them to feel 'separate' or left out of celebrations.

eta we will keep the religious aspect out of them all
DD Sarah Abbey born 9-8-04 (@ 34.3 wks, 5 lbs 1 oz. pre-eclampsia)</div><div align="center">DS Corbin Carroll born 6-29-06 (@ 35.3 wks, 6 lbs 3 oz. pre-eclampsia. emergency c-section)</div><div align="center"><span style="font-family:Franklin Gothic Medium">See MySpace</span></div>
<div align="center"> </div>
March 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
No, my DDs don't believe in all that stuff.
We rejected religion a long time ago, we don't celebrate Easter, or other Christian holidays. Our families celebrate Christmas and give present to our DDs, and we visit our people, but we don't have a Christmas tree or else..

Mačva knows Santa Claus, she knows that he gives presents, but we'll never tell her that Santa lives in the North pole, and fly in the sky and all this crap (sorry...) ..

I don't think she misses something, because the life of a kids IS magical... EVERYTHING is magical for them!
When it's snowing, when I cook cookies, when they look at fireworks...

I don't think they feel different either, cause they know Santa! they recognize him

We do not talk about the tooth fairy either..
I don't like the fact that we could lie to our kids...
Sometimes, lies are necessary (like why do my DF and I sleep naked )
But the tooth fairy and cie lies, I don't think it's necessary, and kids will find magic some place else.. I try to make everyday magic

If my DD believe in all this "by herself" .... I will just say "fine, if you believe in it!..." but I will not encourage this.. I will not put money under her pillow or eat cookie that were near the Xmas tree...

Mom to Mačva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

March 9th, 2007, 09:03 PM
littleln's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am wondering how you guys handle the *other* made-up stories. Do your children believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy?

If so, is it due to personal choice or more because "it's fun for kids" to believe?

If not, is it hard on your child to not have the fun aspects of believing in these magical fairy tales? Does he/she feel different from other kids?

I don't have kids yet, but I kind of think I want them to believe in Santa and Easter Bunny because those are the secular aspects of those holidays (the only aspects we will be celebrating). But I also wonder how it is really different from telling kids to believe in the Bible stories.[/b]
Well we won't be celebrating Easter at all for one.

Christmas will be "Family Day" kind of like a mothers day or fathers day, but for the whole family. We'll exchange gifts, but not a sick amount of gifts like many families do. We'll have a dinner. We probably won't have a tree, we may come up with something else though just to have a "Tradition".

Other than that, I don't see the point of introducing fictional characters as real entities, it is a lie and I won't lie to my children about anything. If my child is five and asks me where babies come from, he will get the answer. I may have to put it in terms he can understand, but it will be factually correct. I"m not going to give some BS fictional story about gardens or a bird that delivers babies.

There are plenty of fun things for kids. My parents never pulled the santa/easter bunny/ tooth fairy stuff on me and I never felt slighted. I have tons of other pleasent and fun memories from my child hood and I'm glad my parents didn't lie to me.

Thanks to pattiandthemoos for the great siggy!

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center"></div>
March 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
I love the idea of a "family day"
I'll talk about it to my DF!

Mom to Mačva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search