TTC 101

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Super Mommy
Okay while I'm not new to TTC or new to having trouble TTC. I'm new to all of the charting and checking. I though some of you wiser members could give some of us newbies some advice.

I am charting. What should I be looking for in my chart?

Temp peaks/dips what could they mean?

Cervix posistion/thickness...what's this mean throughout cycle? What should I be looking for?

CM...I don't want to sound completely stupid but can you break this down for me? I've been putting my CM in a category that sounds closest to what it is but not really sure.

If its not TMI what should it look/feel/smell/stretch like?

What should I be looking for throught my cycle and what does it mean?

Sorry for all the questions but I thought who better to ask then you ladies? I feel like we are taking charge and trying hard but I feel like it's not enough.

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer
December 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Super Mommy
No advice...maybe it was too personal. Sorry.

December 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortuantely, I am rather new at this myself - so don't have all the answers you need. I know that the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" might be able to help or try doing a search in the JM boards/website on key words.

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
December 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Jen84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will try to help as much as I can. I may not get all the answers right, though! (Usually when people don't respond its because they don't know how to help)

As far as charting, temps only, you should be looking for a dramatic rise that stays high for at least 3 days. This means you ovulated the day of your last "lower" temp. If you are using fertility charting software or a website, it will usually confirm ovulation after 3 higher temps (my chart as an example, it just told me I ovulated 3 days ago, today!)

AF usually has a rocky temp, one day super high, one day super low, or anywhere in between. Its caused by hormone flucuations. After your bleeding stops it usually comes to rest at a fairly low, steady temp. Then suddenly one day it will go up. This can happen a couple of times due to some crazy temps, but once it goes way up, and stays way up, that means you ovulated on the last day of the low temp.

Around day 10-16 after the ovulation temp rise, you will either start to see it go down (AF is near) or you will see it stay high or even go higher (pregnancy).

I dont personally check my cervix but I have researched it. The most fertile cervical position is for it to be high soft and open, and during your nonfertile times it can be low, closed and hard. I hope I helped!!

Cycle #21
Roses are red,
so is your period.
Happy Valentine's Day girls!
..::Journal::...................:ictures::..

lilygirl <3
</div>
December 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
I am pretty new myself...but these are great questions!
December 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Get the book: "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler!! Highly highly recommended!

I didn't know squat about charting and all that before, but that book was a HUGE HUGE help. It took a little over a full cycle for me to get the hang of it, but once I did, it all made sense.

Definitely get that book!

December 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I'll come back and reply to this in a bit. Kids just got home and it's very hectic around here right now. I just didn't want you to think I am ignoring your questions.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
December 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Super Mommy
All your information has been very helpful so far. I will check back Monday. I don't have net at home right now so I can't keep up with you until then.

December 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am realitively new to the temping part of charting (only in my 2nd month) so I will skip those questions.

Your cervix can change throughout the day, so you want to try and check it about the same time each day. During your period it will be low, firm, and open. During O it should be high, soft, and open. The rest of the time it can be anywhere, usually firm to med but can occaisionally be soft, and closed. If you have had a baby already, your cervix may feel more open. I know that I have a hard time distinguishing open and closed a lot of the time because of this. If you become pregnant, your cervix will eventually move to a high, soft, closed position.

CM can be broken down into dry, sticky, creamy, watery, and eggwhite. You can check your CM multiple times throughout the day. Record the most fertile CM as your CM for that day (dry being the least fertile and eggwhite being the most fertile of course!) You will have very little if no CM if it is dry;CM will be a glue-like sticky if it is sticky CM; CM will look kinda like lotion if it is creamy; CM will be clear and resemble water and may also be streatchy if it is watery; and CM will look like eggwhites and really stretchy if it is eggwhite CM. What gets tricky is distinguishing between EWCM and spermies!

During your cycle you want to watch that all of your O signs match up - temp, CP/texture/openess, and CM.

I have not read the book that everyone is suggesting, but I will also suggest taking the free online course offered by FF. It will go over the basics of charting (bbt, cm, cp, etc) as well as how to read your chart in 20 lessons (one each day). The lessons only take about 5 minutes to read and is followed by a quiz to make sure that you understood what you just read. I learned a lot from it.

Hope this helped a little!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

December 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Veteran
Thank you for asking these questions, I to am new to this and have been wondering the same things!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search