This could be a good sign

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
I just had to share this with you girls, I am so excited!

I have ALWAYS loved baking cakes (from scratch) and decorating them. I love making something from nothing and having people rave over it. I also make my own icing, just recently got into Fondunt (the cakes the are really smooth looking) but i hate the taste, I just like the look so I usually do most everything in buttercream (which I have figured out how to make look like fondunt)

Anyways, I have made most of my children's birthday cakes recently and to my astonishment everyone wants me to make their cakes for them now. This week alone my sons teacher asked me to make a cake for a party they are having, my co-worker is paying me and asked me to make a cake for his superbowl party, my best friend wants me to make her daughters birthday cake, my mom wants me to make a cake for my step dads birthday party, and then I am also making a cake for our superbowl party this sunday! I finished up the cake for my son's class last night (I will post a picture when I get home later today), I have to make the other cake tonight so my co-worker can take it home tomorrow!

I have dreamed of possibly one day opening my own bakery and its now more so than ever that it seems possible, my name is starting to get out there... I want to purchase a name for myself and make business cards and get a business lisence, even if i just do it out of my home for now. One day maybe I'll get to leave the boring office scene and just make art with my cakes!!!

Getting ahead of myself here, but gosh it just seems that it's very possible my dream could come to life!

Edited to add some links to some cakes I made... the first one is a guitar cake, it was my first time ever carving the cake to shape it! Lots of fun! These are not my best work, I have MANY more but these are the most odd ones I've made so far! LOL
http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/cool...ar-cake-76.html

This one is fairly simple and not much to it but my 2nd time carving out the shape.
http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/cool...###-cake-2.html

Both of these were done solely with Buttercream icing which tastes A LOT better.. the one i have at home contains fondunt and the ones I am making tonight (some one else requested another cake so now I have 2 to do tonight and one tomorrow) also contain fondunt. I will post pictures of those
January 29th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Veteran
wow, good for you! I LOVE home baked cakes and especially home made frosting!!! Looks like your dream is heading down the right path!!! good luck with it all!

January 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
do it! follow your dream!!
January 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
chevygirl302's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree! Follow your dream. You could even do it part time from your home while you build up your business. I can't wait to see the pics of the cakes! I also love baking so I understand your passion, but, I bet mine don't look as good as yours

Good luck!
January 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Momma K's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Momma K
That's great! I love baking cakes too...haven't been able to do it lately cause the oven is on the fritz...gotta buy a new one! But I have to give props to you...I don't have the patience to make them for other people!!! You go girlie!
~K
January 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
thats awesome My grandmother did that out of her home for years and years when she was younger..supported 4 kids that way

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

January 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
So cool! Do you have pic?? I would love to see pics!

I love watching Ace of Cakes! LOL I wished I could do something like that!

January 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Alicia W.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woohoo you go girl!

It is a great feeling to have your own business! I love being my own boss, calling all the shots, and most of all being able to still be a SAHM! I started my business this last year, and am still just getting the word out right now. So far I have had 3 clients book though, and then obviously it has been slow since the snow hit lol since I am an on-location photographer. But it is just such a great feeling of accomplishment! Make sure to share your biz cards with us when you get them designed! If you get stumped I'd love to help out, and maybe we could all help vote on names for ya, or help you figure out a logo!

January 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Veteran
You could always go to Vista Print and get free business cards to hand out to friends. I know I did this when I was opening up my own company. All you have to pay is shipping and handling and they are very easy to order.

here is the link
http://www.vistaprint.com
January 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to wanting_more2_love
yeah we want pics!!

you can have your own show too.. you'll be the next ace of cakes!!

and heck if the cake looks good i might want to buy some lol

i was wanting to buy a cake from ace of cakes and i live in illinois and im crazy enough to drive there and get it
but you have to have a down payment of 1000 bucks. I DONT THINK SO
a cake tha tmuch better give me powers!!

but i say follow your dream.
think about it..
would you rather follow your dream and it work or maybe end up not working
or not try and think when you get older darn.. could of i made something out of this.
its better to try and fail then not to try at all!!

good luck..

if you need help with and ideas or anyting let me know
i make my dads biz cards for his radio station i have a good program i can do it for free too..

GO GIRL!!

I love my hubby
I love my son

Pink Or Blue
We Welcome You
Trying To Conceive #2

January 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to shannonkcc
Thats great and sounds amazing. You have far more patience than I do. Yup take some pics of your cakes.

Thank you "Babydoll213" for a beautiful siggie.

January 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM
hustons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hustons Send a message via Yahoo to hustons
GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!!!! Do it out of your home for a while until it grows into something bigger!!!!! You can DO this!!!!!!! And think of the PRIDE you'll have when it's all done!!!!! Those cakes are GREAT!

"In my daughter's eyes, I am a hero" ......Martina McBride
January 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM
LoopyLoos's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LoopyLoos Send a message via MSN to LoopyLoos
WOW, Totally amazed, we have some truely talented ladies on this board, its apleasure to be in your company maybe some creativeness will rub off on me lol xx
January 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
chevygirl302's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great Job Jen! That magnifying glass one is really original!

So funny, I just did a guitar cupcake cake for my DD's 10th bday in January. She had a Hannah Montana party. I used HM logo on cake

Cupcake Cake
January 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to wanting_more2_love
them are great!!

I love my hubby
I love my son

Pink Or Blue
We Welcome You
Trying To Conceive #2

January 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Momma K's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Momma K
Sweet! I love the guitar cake...that is awesome...the detail is perfect! Can't wait to see the others!
~K
January 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
starfish's Avatar Super Mommy
Jen go for it! That's so awesome! I did the same (only with art and design) in my spare time and now I work from home earning a good living doing what I love. Took a while to get here, but it was so worth it! The hours are loooooooooong though!
January 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
I love baking, not that good at it but I still try. Those look amazing.
January 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Veteran
Those are great! You are definitely talented at this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search