I wasn't going to share this... But I figure I'm safe here...

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
Everyone keeps talking about infertility issues and unpredictable cycles and all these things that are REAL barriers to overcome, and it makes me feel silly and selfish for what I'm worrying about, but I just need to talk and ask some questions.

When I was 19-20, I had chlamydia for just under a year without ever knowing I had it. I spotted for a few days when I shouldn't have during my cycle and felt increasingly sick, and woke up one morning seeing spots and running a fever and just felt like crap. I went to the doctor and they tested for STDs and it turned out I had chlamydia, and the only time I can think I would have contracted it was nearly a year prior. The sickness could have been completely normal and not related to the STD, but the spotting makes me worry =\ Anywho, I've heard about how chlamydia can cause scaring in your tubes and lead to infertility, and I had it a really long time, and in the back of my mind I can't help but be really worried that a stupid mistake I made years ago is going to cost me the chance to have a baby. I can't find any specific information though, just big blanket numbers... And my doc refuses to run tests until we've been TTC for at least a year (although if we make it to 8 months without success I'll flub the timeline and say it's been a year). And we're military, so it's not like I can just change docs... Anyway, does anybody have any info? It's not that I need reassurance (although that would be lovely!), but more than anything I just want real numbers, real info, whether it's positive or negative. I'm scared that I made a stupid decision and am going to end up suffering for it. Please help me stop worrying!

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

April 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
AmandaHugNKiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*hugs*

I'm guessing there's not really any way you could confess this to your doctor in hopes that he might run a test to check your tubes before a year is up?

On the positive side, you have only been trying for 3 cycles right? It's hardly anything really in the scheme of things, perfectly normal, and you know what even IF the infection has caused you some problems there are ways to overcome those problems so stop beating yourself up!
April 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Prettymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too definitely think you should talk to your dr. Maybe he'll go ahead and run all the tests instead of making you wait 12 months! Does your DH know?

April 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Alicia W.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
here are a few things I was able to find.....

Summary
Dr. Rosanna Peeling, a scientist at Health Canada, is aiming to make long-term complications due to Chlamydia a thing of the past. In 1991 a test called the "Heat Shock Assay" was developed. It is a method to predict the amount of risk a woman has for developing complications due to Chlamydia. This bug is responsible for over 50% of Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Canada (40,000 new cases per year in Canada, 2-3 million in USA). Chlamydia is the cause of a large number of women becoming infertile and a cause of preventable blindness (5 million world-wide). The publishing of the test created a slew of further investigations into the field including the collaboration between Health Canada and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine as a part of a WHO initiative to eliminate preventable blindness by the year 2020.

I put the part that gave numbers in bold, but it is probably also including the blindness so it isn't an exact number or anything.

As is the case with most STDs, women are more likely to suffer serious consequences of chlamydial infection. For example, chlamydia may spread to a woman’s uterus and fallopian tubes, causing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). This can lead to infertility and may become a life-threatening infection. One way it can be deadly is by increasing a woman’s risk of having an ectopic (or tubal) pregnancy, where the newly conceived baby implants outside of the uterus. One reason this can happen is that PID can scar the fallopian tubes, making it more difficult for a newly conceived baby to be transferred through them to the womb. If the baby gets stuck in one of the tubes and the condition is not treated, it can be fatal for the mother because the fallopian tube can burst. Ectopic pregnancies account for less than 2 percent of all pregnancies, and the vast majority of these women survive. But the complications that can arise from the condition make it the leading cause of maternal death in the first trimester of pregnancy.[7]

Each year more than a million American women experience PID.[8] According to the CDC, “Up to 40 percent of females with untreated chlamydia infections develop PID, and up to 20 percent of those may become infertile.”[9] Unfortunately, as many as 75 percent of women (and 50 percent of men) who are infected with chlamydia show no symptoms.[10] Consequently they may not receive treatment with the necessary antibiotics.

Even when the disease is treated, its effects may linger. While in a woman’s body, chlamydia causes the production of heat shock protein (hsp). Especially when a woman has a prolonged chlamydial infection without knowing it, her immune system creates antibodies against the hsp. This means that her white blood cells learn to attack hsp, because they associate it with chlamydia. If the woman becomes pregnant, this creates a problem. One of the first proteins made by an embryo is a type of hsp similar to the one made by chlamydia. Because the chlamydial infection trained her immune system to be hostile to hsp, her immune system may react against her baby. This can interfere with the development of the embryo. It can also leave the embryo less protected, making the unborn child more likely to die before implanting in the uterus. Finally, it can create an inflammatory reaction in the uterus. This may cause a “spontaneous abortion” or miscarriage.[13]

In one study of 216 women with infertility problems, 21 percent of them tested positive for chlamydial hsp antibodies, despite the fact that none of them knew that they had ever been infected.[14] Larger studies of women with fertility problems estimate that between 30 and 60 percent of them have chlamydia antibodies in their serum (blood plasma), indicating that they had been infected with chlamydia at some point in the past.[15] A teenager may contract chlamydia, never show symptoms of the infection, and then experience fertility problems ten years later when she and her husband try to conceive a baby. For all of these reasons chlamydia is called the “silent sterilizer.”

anyway there is some of what I found..... I am not sure if it is what you were already able to find on your own or not. But here is a link to the second section so you can read the entire article if you want.....

Chastity - Pure Love Club

April 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
DH does know that I had chlamydia when I was younger. He just doesn't know that it makes me worry about whether I can get pregnant =\ I know 3 months isn't long, it's just one of those silly worries in the back of my mind. It's been there off and on for years, but now that we're actively TTC it makes me worry more.

I did the math on info from the article, and if I did it right, I think that means ~80,000 women in the U.S. experience infertility issues from chlamydia. One thing the article DOES mention at the end is that it talks about women who have it for 10 years and how it makes TTC as an adult more difficult, but I "only" had it for 1.

Military docs are NOT sympathetic. They have to do everything a certain way, in a certain order, and back it up with paperwork. All the potential issues with my husband will have to be ruled out before they'll even start looking at me. I wonder if she'd order a blood test for those antibodies, at least... Another problem is that unless I'm having a medical emergency, I'm not allowed to see my gynecologist more than once a year.

Articles I see keep mentioning "untreated" chlamydia, but I always wonder exactly what they mean by untreated. Would having it for a year be considered untreated? Would it be 10 years, like mentioned in the hypothetical situation at the end of the article? So many questions...

(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

April 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Alicia W.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would at least ask your doctor to test for the hsp antibodies. I would think it would be a simple procedure and even if you had to pay out of pocket it might be worth it.

April 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know anything about this subject, but I wish you well...I was going to suggest you talk to your doctor about it, but if you can't I don't know what else to say

April 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Oh, Erin, try not to beat yourself up! And definitely don't feel bad for being concerned about your ability to get pregnant...anyone else in your shoes would be the same way!

My DH is military, too, and I know how frustrating it can be to follow their silly rules. Sometimes it makes me crazy! Is there any way you can get referred to an OB/GYN off base that will be more willing to work with you?

Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you, but I wish you luck, and hope that you see that BFP very soon!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
well, if it worries you then get it checked out. My advice is if you thinks its an issuse look into it. I waited to years before having dh check out. If your dr doesn't know you are ttcing just tell him its been a year. I had a friend do that once.

April 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
Erin are you overseas? I ask because I was a military wife for 10 years and lived overseas the whole time...all the docs I went to were more than happy to run loads of tests! (because it is more practice for them LOL). I was Air Force affiliated though so not sure if that makes a difference etc...my daughter was born on a naval base though....but yeah anytime I would go in with any sort of problems they would run tests! I even used to go in after my then husband would get back from a tdy and make them give me std tests as I was afraid of him cheating and giving me something etc LOL!!!!
Best of luck to you! I think you should talk to doc and get it cleared right away so it is out of your mind!
April 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM
*wishing4athirdbub*'s Avatar Super Mommy
I have no information, but i wanted to say i understand how worried you are, i have similar concerns about the scar tissue i have from a c-section causing blockage in the tubes, but my doctor doesnt want to worry about it right now even though ive been TTC for over a year.

I really hope you get some reassurance soon. I will say though, i have a couple of freinds who have had chlamydia and they have conceived within the first year of TTC!! i hope that makes you feel a little better at least. good luck

~sarah~

I have no information, but i wanted to say i understand how worried you are, i have similar concerns about the scar tissue i have from a c-section causing blockage in the tubes, but my doctor doesnt want to worry about it right now even though ive been TTC for over a year.

I really hope you get some reassurance soon. I will say though, i have a couple of freinds who have had chlamydia and they have conceived within the first year of TTC!! i hope that makes you feel a little better at least. good luck

~sarah~

finally pregnant with #3 after 18 months TTC!
April 16th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, I hate the whole tricare process of getting ANYTHING done! DH is in the Navy, so I feel your frustration with that. I don't know much about it, but I just wanted to say that 3 months isn't long at all!

Mommy to Keagan - June 2008, Benny - October 2010 and Liam - June 2012
April 16th, 2009, 07:31 AM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
Sweetie!

April 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
I also know very little on the situation but I wanted to say I understand how your worries. I had a c-sect with my daughter and often worry about how it may have effected my ability to carry a child to term. ((HUGS))

I hope you get some answers sooner than later... remember the squeeky wheel always gets the oil!
April 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh Erin, i'm so sorry...wish there was something i could say to help you feel better, but i don't have enough information on the subject to really be of help. Hope you can figure it out!
April 16th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I appreciate all the info and support from everyone, it helps to have people to talk to! I think I'm going to give us 8 months, then if it doesn't happen, I might fib to my doctor and say it's been a year... I hardly have any reason to honestly think I have issues, it's just that same little nagging devil on the shoulder so many women have. If we get a BFN this month though I'll call the doc and see if we can just talk over the phone about my worries. Of course I'm fairly certain that she'll tell me not to worry, it's uncommon to see issues, blahblahblah, just as a way of not having to actually do anything for me. She's my favorite military doc I've had in the past 6 years, but it's still the same system, no matter who your doc is. Thank you all again, thank you SO MUCH, for listening and talking things through with me. Somehow just getting that out there makes me feel more calm about things...

April 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
*wishing4athirdbub*'s Avatar Super Mommy
It always helps to talk about things, and no that you are not alone. I dont know anyone TTC that hasnt got concerns, its perfectly natural when you want something that bad!! Its great that you feel a bit better and now you have a few ideas from other people in the same situation good luck Erin

~sarah~

finally pregnant with #3 after 18 months TTC!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search