to epidural or not to epidural?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM
YoungerMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to YoungerMomma
From my experiance....I did not feel it at all, nor did I see the nedle before they did it, They do it during a contraction so u honestly dont feel a thing. Although DH almost passed out by seeing it, He just made me giggle!!!
April 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yea...i know with me i could push, i was more comfy but when i was pushing i knew when i needed to push...wow...lol.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

April 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been induced every time i've had a baby, I had long very painful labors so I did get an epidural everytime...I think the worst part of the epidural was sitting still during a contraction...They numb you before they put the big needle in, and that's just like a pinch and maybe a small stinging feeling, it's not bad at all (i'm a big wimp)...With my last labor the woman that was putting the epidural in did an awful job and actually hit a nerve and that hurt really bad (it made my leg jump up and hit the nurse)...It also took her like 6 tries (I was having to sit still during all those contractions)...I also had a bruise on my back about the size of a small pizza, it was horrible (I was in pain for like 2 weeks)...Seriously though, that was the only bad experiance, the other 3 times it wasn't bad at all and worth the rest I got because of it...I've also had problems with the epidural not working (my last one esp)...If I have another baby, I will get it again just because I don't have easy labors...I think it depends on the person and their labor and how much pain they think they can handle...If I was the kind of person that went into labor on their own, and it was fast and quick and not very painful, i'd probably skip the epidural...I just have kids that take a long time to get out, and like to push their head on my spine LOL

April 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
katinagj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im pretty sure the epidural will be a last minute decision for me. Right now it freaks me out, but I know that when Im in labor it will probably be another matter. Plus I am getting over my fear of needles so the concept doesnt freak me out quite as much as it used to. My friend Katie had not planned to get the epidural but when she was in labor she ended up asking for it. So Im not going to rule it completely out and I will decide when the time comes. I know a lot of people who decided not to get one and ended up getting it once they were in labor and in pain. So we will see!

9-2009. 10-2009. 3-2012. 5-2012. 8-2012.

My Ovulation Chart

My blog: http://www.homemakerontheverge.blogspot.com/
April 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epi with my daughter, but not with my son. Given the two, since I have experienced both I can safely say I will NEVER have another epi.

The pain sucks, and yes it hurts alot but I birthed him so much better, and faster and without help this time (suction needed for dd) He was much much bigger than my dd at birth, yet he was born in an 1/8 of the time.

With the epi, during all the chaos and stuff going on, and them telling you to be still, dont move, etc you dont really even think about what's happening back there. Plus they numb you ahead of time, so it's not like you actually feel the big one going in. But mine didnt take at first, I had to switch sides trying to get the meds to numb my right side, which is hard to do when you are contracting, dialating and in pain. Then my cathader wasnt in right, they had to come in and RE DO it. Then after her birth, I was dehydrated and couldnt pee and they said I might have a tear and might need some procedure to check, it was horrible. I never want a cathader as long as I live! lol

But I have sciatic nerve damage, that was related to my daughter being sunny side up and sitting her head so low for so long while I pushed. I feel it I hadnt gotten the epi, I would have felt the pressure she was creating, and wouldnt have this issue today. I cant bend over alot, carry heavy things for long, or stand on my feet for long before I begin to have shooting paints down my lower back into my left butt cheek lol. It's not fun.

With my ds I did it natural, he was out in 3 good pushes.

When the time comes again, unless I need a c-section, I will not be getting one again. I think the pros of natural far outweight the negatives, for me anyways. Everyone is different.

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

April 16th, 2009, 10:13 AM
LivingAsSara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While I'm not opposed to getting an epidural if I absolutely have to.. I'd rather not! I plan to go un-medicated.

April 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Alicia W.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before reading the replies I am going to share my experience....

I had wanted to go natural if I could, but I also knew I would not beat myself up if I did end up getting one. Well I made it to about 6cm and was in so much pain from back labor that I decided to get one. It took them 45 minutes and 4 tries to get it in!!!! Apparently there was something "hard" blocking it from going in and no matter where he tried he couldn't get around it so he said he would just push through it. At the time I didn't much care lol, and just said GO FOR IT! I had to sit perfectly still (worried about permanent damage if I moved during it) for 45 minutes already in pure agony of transitional labor (of which I dilated to 8 cm in that time) and also through my water breaking during that time. I just wanted it done!

So he pushed through and everything was fine. And while it gave me relief from the contractions it didn't really help much with the back labor. It was only about 45 minutes later that I was completely dilated and ready to push. And by that time it had already started to wear off (but that is probably just me as I find my body has a very high tolerance for pain meds of any sort and it often takes large doses to even work at all). They gave me a button to push to give myself more and I was pushing it but not much help at that point lol.

Luckily I pushed for about 15-20 minutes (pretty much on my own but that is another story) and that was it. So though it doesn't really help with the pushing it wasn't too big a deal for me.

Anyway.... even through that crappy experience I think I would probably be ok to get one again next time. I didn't have any lasting effect from it, except 4 little dots on my back from the various times he had tried to get it in. Next time I might also not wait so long to get it trying to be brave rofl. My son is perfectly fine, and was at birth as well so I know it didn't effect him either. More power to the women who do it without, but IMO it isn't the worst thing in the world to just get one.

April 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Nora's Avatar Veteran
Pass me the drugs

I've never been through labor, so haven't a clue as to how it feels. I'd like to sit here and say "I can do it.. I'll go without" .. in all realities, I'm sort of a wuss. My tolerance for pain isn't very high. I think I'll have an epidural!

siggy coming soon
April 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
Have you ever thought of having a natural waterbirth without drugs? That's the route I plan to go as long as I'm low-risk. The water has amazing effects on your body (including softening the tissue, promoting circulation, easing cramping pains) AND that way your own body produces the pain-relieving hormones it's supposed to rather than being blocked by drugs. You should look into it! There's all kinds of medical research to back up the positives of waterbirths.

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

April 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I've had two. The first they induced labor to quickly. I was having contractions that were off the charts, coming every minute and lasting 50 - 55 seconds and I was only dilated to 3. With my second.....I labored at home for 4 days not realizing I was in labor (back labor) and then had been in the hospital for 16 or 18 hours when they gave me the epidural so that I could sleep for a while. They turned it back off after a nap though and I delivered naturally.

I won't be getting one in the future if I can avoid it because I still have pain right at the epidural site and my kids are 11 and almost 8!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
April 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
jaypbee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i had a scheduled section, so i had no choice. i was terrified mostly of the epi! the worst part was the numbing shot. i was told it would feel like a bee sting. it did hurt, but not too bad, and it was over quickly. i didn't feel the huge needle at all...

April 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
*wishing4athirdbub*'s Avatar Super Mommy
Whenever someone asks about epidurals, i feel i need to tell them this- not all epidurals go as planned. I dont want to scare anyone as the percentage is only 1/100, but its just so happens i was that one in a hundred when i had my DS. The risk is that during the procedure, the patient may leak spinal fluid and it may cause a bad headache and require a blood patch (or 6 in my case) it is similar to having a spinal tap or epidural as it is quite uncomfortable and there is a build up of pressure that in my case, reduced me to tears.

I then had to lay still for 24 hours, as any movement could dislodge the blood patch and it would have to be repeated. All anesthesiologists tell you of this risk before doing an epidurals, but like most women i suspect, i didnt really care at the time!

The reason im telling you about this is because after this happened and it took almost 1 year to walk properly without pain, i had a c-section with epidural 2 years later and quite honestly my back will never be the same. im only 25 but i cant sit without my back supported and can be on my feet for too long. Mind you the last epidural experience was 3 1/2 years ago and i still suffer daily pain.

Please dont be concerned if you want/need an epidural during labour, because as i said the risk is very low and most of the time the benefits outweigh the risks.

i just wanted to share so you have the most info you can get!

~sarah~

finally pregnant with #3 after 18 months TTC!
April 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettymama View Post
You will absolutely not care when you need to get your epi...b/c you will be in so much pain you will be BEGGING for it! LOL I had a C-Section but prior to the surgery I was in labor for 24 hours and my water broke so I was in EXCRUTIATING pain...i kept bugging the nurses as to where the hell was the anesthesialogist! When he came in I was SOOOO happy and relieved and DID not care about getting a little poke in my back...and you won't either!!!
carly Q (that is your nick name now) you are to darn funny. I can see me now scream this baby is going NO WHERE until you bring be a epidural...

April 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Prettymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *babylove* View Post
carly q (that is your nick name now) you are to darn funny. I can see me now scream this baby is going no where until you bring be a epidural...
lol!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search