to epidural or not to epidural?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was curious was happens when they give an edidural. Now that I have seen the needle I am so worried.. OUCH!

Epidurals and Labor - What Happens During an Epidural Video - About.com

April 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I didn't have an epidural with any of my 3 (and my middle DD was almost 9 1/2 pounds and then with Coral I had pitocin). I agree, the thought of that needle in your back is terrifying!! I never could make myself do it. Obviously for a c-section you'd really have no choice, but yikes!!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
April 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to amylou378
Seeing an Epidural being placed is the ONLY thing that ever made me feel queasy in 3 years of nursing school and in 5 years of nursing. I swore I would never get one. However, during labor, when I decided I couldn't take anymore, I had NO issues having one myself. Believe me when I tell you that I could have kissed the anesthesiologist when he was done. When the time comes, if you decide you want one, it won't be as big of a deal as you think. The discomfort of the needle was nothing compared to the contractions and unending back pain I had. I was nervous, but for me it ended up being fine!

April 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
Believe me at that point you do not care! I do not remember getting mine at all except the fact my then hubby almost passed out when he saw the needle LMAO!

I am a bit more scared for the next pregnancy though since I will have a scheduled c-section so that is gonna be a bit different!!!
April 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i was told that the needle is huge and hurts very bad and they do it in the middle of a contraction. Is that true?

April 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
personaly speaking it is a must have! There can be discomfort while its being inserted but the benifits are awesome never birth without it and none of my babies had any problems because of the procedure. Although it's up to u but I say do IT. LOL

April 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had two. they do not purposly do it during a contraction but it takes several minutes to get it done so yes you may have a contraction or two. You also have a blood pressure cuff going on. The needle looks scary but I barely felt mine. The contractions were worse and it was way worth it. I even napped after I got mine with ds. I will warn you though the needle is scary. My dh got queezy the first time around. They had him stand beside the bed and I set with my feet dangling off leaning into him with my back curled. He made it through it but he said he was terrified. With my dd I figured I wouldnt put dh through it again so I had my mil stay with me. I leaned into her and at some point the nurse ran behind her put her hands on my shoulder and told her to go sit down. It was then that I noticed she was white as a ghost. She left the room and ask dh where the bathroom was. She was not happy when she found out it was in my room. But most are nice when inserting it. I never saw it until after it was done they hide everything until you are facing away from them.
April 16th, 2009, 08:10 AM
ldovey83's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well because I had a csection I had to have a spinal block with is similar to an epidural since it is given the same way but it is not a continous dose... From my expierence the first initial shot you get to numb you before they do the epidural feels like a pinch and a little burn then after that all you feel is pressure.. I think that is what I was the most worried about. I wasn't worried about the operation.. I was worried about the spinal block, but everything turned out fine...
April 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was COMPLETLY against epi's throughout my whole pregnancy, i told everyone "the womens body is made to do it....blah blah blah...." yea....i had an epi! Honestly, it DOESNT hurt getting it, what you do is sit on the side of the bed and you hold a pillow and just sorta bend over and they do all the work...it honestly doesnt hurt at all...the only "weird" part is when they go in you feel a tingle in one of your legs or somewhere (haha i honestly cant even remember, i just know i said i felt something) its like heaven after that! Im happy I broke down and did get one because Xaviers big ol'head turned and got stuck and after 2 1/2 hours of pushing i got a c-section. any questoins just post, we will be happy to tell you all the lovely details of anything you wanna know....at least I know I will!

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

April 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
I have had 9 natural births, #10 was my 1st epi and it was wonderful, #11 was my 2nd and it only took on one side and Zach was facing up with his bodyturned to the side. Oh it was horrible With #12 Cody, I tried the epi agai not even an hour later he was born, perfect and didn't feel anything.

I think alot has to do with who gives it to you. The two that went great were done by women, the one that didn't was done by a man. Now this guy was also the one that gave me a spinal block for kidney surgery and it took him 2 tries had it was horrible.

Another spinal block I got was done by one of the woman and it went perfectly.

I use to panick at the thought of one of those needles, the reason I went with so many natural births. But after 12+ hours of back labor with #9 the fear was quickly changed.

Just my

April 16th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to amylou378
Amber, most of the time they do some local anesthetic first into the skin around where it will go in. You usually only feel alot of pressure when they use the big one. I don't imagine it would be as tolerable without the pain of labor....I guess I would have a different mindset if I would have to do it before a C-section, but I don't know.

The hospital where I delivered made everyone leave the room, and I was in there by myself, just me, the anesthesiologist and the nurse anesthetist. The nurse anesthetist was kind of rude, actually, and didn't offer me any help or support at all...just a chair to rest my feet on so I could try to get myself in the right position. That part did kind of suck, but after I took a pain free nap, and never saw her again!

April 16th, 2009, 08:19 AM
AmandaHugNKiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally have never experienced an epidural - nothing to do with a fear of needles! I'm not worried about that or the short term pain for long term relief... no, it's more that it greatly increases your chances of 'intervention' if it's not dosed properly. It needs to wear off in order for you to be able to push effectively (you literally have no idea if you're pushing even if you think you are) otherwise you open yourself up to assisted delivery with forceps or ventouse (complete with epistomy - yay(!)) sometimes even c-section.

Then I had a friend who was left with problems for a while after birth with numb feelings/intense tingling in her legs. It affected how she was able to care for/bond with her son.

Although you can now get 'mobile-epidurals' which enable you to retain some feeling by using a lower dose of anesthesia, you need to consider your movement will be restricted, and they also often lead to a drop in blood pressure (which infact can be clinically useful depending on the situation...).

It's easy for me to point out the 'dangers' associated with epidural as I was very lucky with both my births (first was 5 hours 15mins from start to finish, second 1hour 45 min!!). I guess if I was having a prolonged labour it's something I would certianly consider in order to rest/regain my strength.
April 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Prettymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You will absolutely not care when you need to get your epi...b/c you will be in so much pain you will be BEGGING for it! LOL I had a C-Section but prior to the surgery I was in labor for 24 hours and my water broke so I was in EXCRUTIATING pain...i kept bugging the nurses as to where the hell was the anesthesialogist! When he came in I was SOOOO happy and relieved and DID not care about getting a little poke in my back...and you won't either!!!

April 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't get one with my DD - but by the time the anesthesiologist would have got there I would have been too far along any way (I had a short labor - 3 hours of labor and 30 minutes of pushing and the anesthesiologist would have had to drive 30 min to 1 hour 30 minutes, depending on who was on call, to get to the hospital). I also have a slight curve in my spine which my dr said would cause problems with getting an epi. Hopefully if I ever have to have a c-section, they will just knock me out completely instead of giving me an epi!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't get one with my DD - but by the time the anesthesiologist would have got there I would have been too far along any way (I had a short labor - 3 hours of labor and 30 minutes of pushing and the anesthesiologist would have had to drive 30 min to 1 hour 30 minutes, depending on who was on call, to get to the hospital). I also have a slight curve in my spine which my dr said would cause problems with getting an epi. Hopefully if I ever have to have a c-section, they will just knock me out completely instead of giving me an epi!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Prettymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyloves2dance View Post
I have a 34 degree curve in my spine...scoliosis...and luckily I had a really got anesthesiologist who got right in there to give me my spinal block. But I have heard horror stories of women w/ scoliosis having many problems when an anesthesiologist tries to give her an epi or spinal block...i hope when we have our next baby the anesthesiologist will be just as good prior to my c-section.

April 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Super Mommy
Needles don't really bother me (I worked in a battery factory and had blood drawn every couple months to check my lead level) but the thought of one going in my spine isn't too thrilling. So I'm going to try to go without, but if it's really bad, I'll go ahead and have one.

When my mom was delivering me (I was a C-section), they did one and got an air bubble in there. She had a horrible migraine for a week (they also cut an artery and didn't have time to warm up the blood they gave her).

April 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurker and TTC Grad here...

I had 17 hours of back labor with DD and never begged for anything...I'd much rather go natural, feel the pain, and get over it than risk an energency c-section because of an epidural. JMO. It's just pain. It's no big deal.

Lurker and TTC Grad here...

I had 17 hours of back labor with DD and never begged for anything...I'd much rather go natural, feel the pain, and get over it than risk an energency c-section because of an epidural. JMO. It's just pain. It's no big deal.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

April 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just curious....why would you need an "emergency c-section" becuase of an Epi?

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

April 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
AmandaHugNKiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The need for assistance (sometimes an emergency c-section) when it comes to epi is that as I said, you literally cannot feel anything and if the dose is still at that level once you go into transition then you may be unable to push the baby out naturally yourself.

The doctors will attempt to help with forceps or ventouse but if that fails (and usually, failing puts the baby (and mother!) under a lot of stress) they will resort to c-section.

Of course, it doesn't happen like that for everyone and there's evidece to suggest the mobile epis doesn't carry such a high risk of this complication (given it's a lower dose of anesthesia that wears off quicker). It's just a possibility. But if you're struggling with a prolonged, painful labour, it may be in your best intersts to 'recoup' with an epi.

Again, as with all things, we're all different and what suits/works for some will be wrong for others.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search