My science experiment ~ updated 10 dpo pics

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
SUPER interesting! I'm curious to see how early you get your BFP, too, because you can find a website that will tell you whatever you want to hear on this subject, honestly...you can get a BFP as early as 7 dpo to most women don't see a BFP until they're late.

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

September 1st, 2009, 03:54 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pictureunrelated View Post
It's not showing an "evap". It is just that you can always see the "line" on a pregnancy test if you look for it.

If you take a pregnancy test and open it up and look at the strip you can see a grey shadow of a line where the "pregnant line" would come up if you are in fact pregnant. If you take the strip and flip it over on to the "wrong" side so to speak, you can see the line big time.

Which is why if you look hard enough you can always, always find a line. Thats why people look for color. Color = its a real line, grey = its just the test line.

Sorry for getting off topic from your experiment!! Waiting for your big, dark, wonderful pink line that I know is coming!!!!
I agree. This is also why I don't enhance my tests. I am also the queen of evaps on certain brands. I don't look at tests after the time limit either. I have gotten some nice pretty evaps with color when I pull them out the trash. I honestly normally don't even use the line tests any more, but thought it'd be fun for my experiment.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
September 1st, 2009, 04:01 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
6 dpo - BFNs

You know the funny thing is normally bfns get to me even when I know I am testing too early, but because I am looking at this as a science experiment I am finding it entertaining/educational verses stressful. I added EPTs into today's mix. They were the only blue dies I could find in a 3 pack. I wanted to have at least 1 blue die to compare. If I get a positive I just am pretty sure FRER will pick it up last. That's been my personal experience in the past. Oh, and I found a 5 pack of CBE digis so I am all set on those for the rest of my experiment. I will probably need to get one more box of FRER and EPTs though. I don't want to buy any more until I have to just in case I do get a really early bfp. You never know, right? I haven't tested this early in so long. I usually don't start testing until 9dpo.

September 1st, 2009, 06:48 AM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
I like that ept test,no evaps at all.I'm starting to dislike FRER because of that stupid evap line,I think it's a way for women to buy more thinking it's the beginnig of a pregnancy,because the instructions say nothing about evaps or that there tests alway have a line that is a indention.

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

September 1st, 2009, 07:29 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving4 View Post
I like that ept test,no evaps at all.I'm starting to dislike FRER because of that stupid evap line,I think it's a way for women to buy more thinking it's the beginnig of a pregnancy,because the instructions say nothing about evaps or that there tests alway have a line that is a indention.
Honestly, I usually don't even use anything but digis any more because I hate evaps and I get a lot of them. I kind of want to see what the line would look like at the time I got the first positive on a digi. I thought this would be fun for me. I promise you I will not be testing this early next cycle. I am not a super early tester any more. I just thought this would be so cool to see the progression if I am actually pregnant.

September 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM
bunny32's Avatar Veteran
Teresa, I can't wait to see your next set of tests! BTW how much is this science experiment going to cost you?
September 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny32 View Post
Teresa, I can't wait to see your next set of tests! BTW how much is this science experiment going to cost you?
Well, I got two of the CBEs free with my OPKs and I found a 5 pack of CBEs for less than $20. I also got my FRER & EPTs in 3 packs. I didn't keep the receipts, but if I need to buy another set of 3 packs I will check the prices. I am hoping I get a bfp early. I have taken as many as 10 in a cycle before not doing an experiment and at least this makes it less stressful. Next cycle I won't test this early and certainly not 3 tests in a day, but I got a good feeling on this one so I figure what the heck. I will be really disappointed if I am not, but it'll have been interesting at least.

September 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM
bunny32's Avatar Veteran
You know your body, and if you feel good about this cycle, then who cares about the cost! I can't wait to see your beautiful bfps get darker and darker!
September 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
lilflower
Quote:
It LOOKS like something is there and being 5 DPO we ALL know it's literally IMPOSSIBLE. Not even a IC can pick something up at 5 DPO, which goes to show that even FRER's show evaps pretty easily. Ugh, makes me realize my tests are most likely evaps as well. I always thought FRER's were the best and I'm aware all HPT's have a second line that'll come up because of the chemicals in our urine...it's just frustrating lol. But anyway, I marked where something WOULD be, or looks like something IS there but really isn't. This is actually a great experiment, Teresa, because it shows what's really a BFP and what's really an evap. Ha, I should be the one to do this experiment since I'm the queen of evaps lol.
You are slightly wrong. I got my BFP at 6dpo. And by 9dpo it was two same colored lines on a FRER. I didn't test at 5dpo, but it may have shown up then. Now, saying that, at my first u/s I was pregnant with twins so that helped. It may not be common to get a BFP that early, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE.
September 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I think in a normal SINGLETON pregnancy, a BFP at 5-6dpo would be very very rare, but it'd be more likely with twins...

Can't wait to see how this all progresses, Teresa! when you do get your BFP are you going to get an hcg level done that day? Be interesting to compare that, to the stated sensitivity of the test

September 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM
bev26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
subscribing to this thread!

One question - what's an evap line? Is that where the urine evaporates from where the positive line is supposed to show?

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for the wonderful siggy!

September 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
I love that you're doing this. I took SO MANY tests last cycle...like i have no idea how many, probably a good thing i didn't keep a tally!!

Good luck and I hope we get to see a real line soon!!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
September 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresarunningmommy View Post
Well, I got two of the CBEs free with my OPKs and I found a 5 pack of CBEs for less than $20. I also got my FRER & EPTs in 3 packs. I didn't keep the receipts, but if I need to buy another set of 3 packs I will check the prices. I am hoping I get a bfp early. I have taken as many as 10 in a cycle before not doing an experiment and at least this makes it less stressful. Next cycle I won't test this early and certainly not 3 tests in a day, but I got a good feeling on this one so I figure what the heck. I will be really disappointed if I am not, but it'll have been interesting at least.
The 3 pack of FRER tests at Walmart cost about $15.00. Not sure about the EPT's. I just know they were always more money than I cared to spend.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
September 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
pictureunrelated's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby's Mama View Post
Can't wait to see how this all progresses, Teresa! when you do get your BFP are you going to get an hcg level done that day? Be interesting to compare that, to the stated sensitivity of the test
I would like to see that also!
September 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
pictureunrelated's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving4 View Post

In the instructions in the FRER box I have in front of me it says specifically that there will always be a line there because that is how the test works and it's only a positive if it has color. In the EPT box is says the same, and in a generic target blue dye it also says it. It says it right by where it says if the control line doesn't come up then disregard the test.

That's weird it doesn't say it in yours. Our tests are probably manufactured somewhere different and distributed from somewhere different.
September 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Brandielou's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina226 View Post

It LOOKS like something is there and being 5 DPO we ALL know it's literally IMPOSSIBLE. Not even a IC can pick something up at 5 DPO, which goes to show that even FRER's show evaps pretty easily. Ugh, makes me realize my tests are most likely evaps as well. I always thought FRER's were the best and I'm aware all HPT's have a second line that'll come up because of the chemicals in our urine...it's just frustrating lol. But anyway, I marked where something WOULD be, or looks like something IS there but really isn't. This is actually a great experiment, Teresa, because it shows what's really a BFP and what's really an evap. Ha, I should be the one to do this experiment since I'm the queen of evaps lol.

It is not a line and not an evap. Every preg test has a line and when you continue to glare at it it will show the shadow. There is an area on the stick where the urine has to pass through so there will always be a line. They key is a good, PINK line, not just a line in general. Just because you see something does NOT mean pregnancy. A good, PINK line does (or blue if it is a blue dye test)

Thank you HeatherW for my beautiful siggy!
September 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandielou View Post
It is not a line and not an evap. Every preg test has a line and when you continue to glare at it it will show the shadow. There is an area on the stick where the urine has to pass through so there will always be a line. They key is a good, PINK line, not just a line in general. Just because you see something does NOT mean pregnancy. A good, PINK line does (or blue if it is a blue dye test)
I agree. This is why I have posted BFN next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev26 View Post
subscribing to this thread!

One question - what's an evap line? Is that where the urine evaporates from where the positive line is supposed to show?
An evap is where you see an extremely faint line and usually on the cheaper brand tests and most the time for me it's when I let the test sit for a long time. Usually an evap doesn't have color, but sometimes they do, but they really are extemely faint and don't really look positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby's Mama View Post
I think in a normal SINGLETON pregnancy, a BFP at 5-6dpo would be very very rare, but it'd be more likely with twins...

That'd be cool, but honestly I have no justification to get a beta done and I don't think my doctors would do it unless I lied about my symptoms and honestly I just don't feel comfortable with that. I might try. I don't know. It depends on when I get a bfp and if I get one.

Tags
cbe digital , ept , frer , pregnancy symptoms , pregnancy tests

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search