Vaccinations and TTC

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be TTC in a couple weeks or so and am suppose to have a tetanus/diptheria booster, my MMR#1 and 2, and hepatitus 1, 2, 3 immunizations in the next couple days (for college). Anyone here know if this will prevent me from TTC in a couple weeks? Could it potentially be dangerous for an unborn baby?
March 24th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would DEFINATELY call your doctor! I know for sure that you would not want to get all those immunizations if you were PG. They may want you to wait for a period of time after getting them to TTC. You wouldn't want to take any chances of harming your unborn baby. Those immunizations are nasty things. Good luck
March 24th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I definitely won't do anything without finding out what the dangers are. I have just been waiting so long now for this that I hate thinking about waiting yet another month.
March 24th, 2005, 09:59 AM
TexMex's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is what I DO know....my doc (when I went for a pre-conception visit) was insistent that I get tested for Rubella/Measles (is MMR#1 the rubella?) to see if I am immune, and if I did need the shot I could not conceive for 2 months! I was shocked when she told me all this...I knew I got vaccinated for it in 1997 so thanfully I am immune. Also tetnis shot CAN be given when you are pregnant so that's fine...with the other stuff I am not sure but you should DEFINITELY go to a doc before TTC if you are getting those vaccines.
March 24th, 2005, 10:15 AM
2 months?! OMG! That really sucks. I have already had the test to see if I have TB - they did it accidentally even though I didn't need it. :roll: Anyone know what exactly that test is? Would I still have to wait two months?
March 24th, 2005, 10:22 AM
TexMex's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry hun I have no idea on that. Do you have an OBGYN set up to go to? If not you should find a place and get these very important questions answered.

Good luck with TTC I hope nothing gets in the way for you
March 24th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks - I just put in a call now. They are at lunch.
March 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by autumnsun@Mar 24 2005, 11:47 AM
I will be TTC in a couple weeks or so and am suppose to have a tetanus/diptheria booster, my MMR#1 and 2, and hepatitus 1, 2, 3 immunizations in the next couple days (for college). Anyone here know if this will prevent me from TTC in a couple weeks? Could it potentially be dangerous for an unborn baby?
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Well getting all those vaccinations will take quite a while. They have months in between each one....and they recommend not TTC until 3 months after your LAST vaccination. And you can't just start a seriers and get pregnant b/c by the time you deliver there will have been too many months in between shots that they will make you start from the beginning again. So basically can either catch up on all of them, or wait to start them all until after you deliver.

Although the diseases these vaccinations prevent against are not common things, if you were to get rubella for example....while pregnant, it has very very serious effects on the baby. But talk to your doc about it.

Good luck
March 24th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I just called the doctor. A couple days ago they drew blood to test it to see what I had in my system because they couldn't find any record of immunizations (although I was fairly certain I was up to date). I was just told that my MMR's are all up to date but I needed two hepatitus series. I KNOW I had that a few years ago though so I am just getting really frustrated because I don't know why my records aren't in order. But I am NOT prepared to wait to TTC for several months so I am going to forgo the immunizations for now. I know I am up to date - so I am not endangering anyone by not getting this done. It is just that I needed this to finish up school so that is a little stressful. But part-time students don't need these records so I guess it will just take me an extra semester. I wanted to be done with school by the time the baby was born but that isn't going to happen.

Anyways, thanks all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search