Bicornuate uterus -- anyone else out there

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM
daisey609's Avatar Veteran
have this condition too??

Mine is apparently 100% which i'm told is rare.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has this or another abnormality of the uterus that puts us into medium to high risk categories. What have the doctors said is the best coarse of action for you regarding ttc and staying preggo?
October 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
GKR3219's Avatar Rockin' Momma
Send a message via AIM to GKR3219
I had a very close friend with this condition. She lost two sets of twins, but gave birth to a third set, both boys sucessfully.The heart shaped uterus apparently didn't have anything to do with her losses. She had to take Clomid and be on progesterone supplements. She had them at 36 weeks due to high blood pressure. I haven't researched it but she has two beautiful boys!!

Thank You, .t.e.r.r.a., for my Beautiful Siggy!!!!
October 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Send a message via MSN to SaFyre.Phoenix Send a message via Skype™ to SaFyre.Phoenix
If you say Bicornuate, do you mean a double chamber? My friend has a double chamber uterus and that's why I'm asking
October 11th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
My mother has a bicornuate uterus. I'm not sure how severe it was, but back in the 80's she was having trouble conceiving so the doctors had her get a D&C.

After the D&C she quickly got pregnant with me and then had my brother 2 years later.

Both of us were born prematurely (only by about 4-5 weeks though).

*hugs*

Hearing that you have anything "wrong" is scary, but I've heard of lots of ladies successfully having kids with this condition!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

October 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaFyre.Phoenix View Post
If you say Bicornuate, do you mean a double chamber? My friend has a double chamber uterus and that's why I'm asking

I'm not sure if double chamber is a seperate condition. Someone with a bicornuate system has the potential to have everything doubled including cervix and ftubes. I apparently only have this to the uterus but where as most women with this condition only have a small precentage dividing wall, mine is apparently right down to the bottom.
October 12th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Regular
Hi Daisey609! I'm a lurker coming out of the shadow to say that I too have an uterine anomaly. I have a septate uterus which means that I have a wall (septum) that divides my uterus into two parts. I don't have a problem getting pregnant but keeping it is a different story.

I suffered two miscarriages in the past. The doctor thinks that those embryos were attached to the septum rather than the uterine wall so when they needed more blood supply, they miscarried.

The doctor performed a transvaginal ultrasound and discovered that my septum is very thick and separates my uterus almost completely (it stops an inch of so from my cervix). So, removing the septum in my case was not a good option b/c removing it could cause my uterus to cave.

I suppose that it's just by the grace of God that when I got pregnant for the third time, the embryo (AKA, DS) implanted in the right place and NOT the septum. When I went for my 3D ultrasound, the tech didn't see the septum right away but she looked for it after I mentioned it. She said that DS had pushed it waaay off to the side so he had enough room to grow to full-term.

But as far as TTC and keeping the pregnancy goes, there's nothing much I can do except hoping for the best. DS is almost 3 so we're going to try our luck again.
October 12th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMommy322 View Post
. I have a septate uterus which means that I have a wall (septum) that divides my uterus into two parts. I don't have a problem getting pregnant but keeping it is a different story.

I suffered two miscarriages in the past.

The doctor performed a transvaginal ultrasound and discovered that my septum is very thick and separates my uterus almost completely (it stops an inch of so from my cervix). So, removing the septum in my case was not a good option b/c removing it could cause my uterus to cave.
She said that DS had pushed it waaay off to the side so he had enough room to grow to full-term.

But as far as TTC and keeping the pregnancy goes, there's nothing much I can do except hoping for the best. .
Wow !! you give me hope and at the same time reassure me that I'm not as much of a "freak" as it seems. Its apparently very rare for a complete seperation like you and I have. I'm hoping and praying for the best too but dh and I are letting ourselves get used to the fact that misscarriage is likely an event that we will experience. Still... if you can do it with almost 100% seperation than maybe I'll get my miracle too!!
One can only hope and try not to dwell right?

thanks for letting me know your around!! I'm posting in the June ddc board now so keep your prayers for me please and come and check in on me occasionally and I'll do the same for you!!

Cheers
October 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Send a message via MSN to SaFyre.Phoenix Send a message via Skype™ to SaFyre.Phoenix
I wish you the best of luck ^.^
My friend with the uterus abnormality, the double chamber, is going through a rough time righw now in her pregnancy. This is her second, the first miscarried. She says that as the dividing wall stretches up to fit the baby, she feels severe cramps and keeps getting scared shes going to have a late miscarriage. I was just wondering if anyone knows how the double chamber might affect her pregnancy? I would like to be able to put her mind at rest so she doesn't have to worry anymore.
October 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaFyre.Phoenix View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knows how the double chamber might affect her pregnancy? I would like to be able to put her mind at rest so she doesn't have to worry anymore.
Well.. if it works the same way then it decreases the size of the uterus by half... which means baby doens't have enough room to grow, which often leads to miscarriage or really premee birth. All that you can hope for is that you keep getting pregnant on the same side and eventually the area will have been stretched enough to carry you close enough to full term. Sorry.. but there really isn't any good news there.
November 5th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I just found out that I have a bicornuate uterus. I have a question for all of you women with the same condition. What is your sleeping position? I am 30 years old and for my entire life I have slept with my arm under my stomach. My hand falls right on my uterus. I am questioning if this pressure over the years has caused my uterus to form this shape?
November 5th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly22 View Post
I just found out that I have a bicornuate uterus. I have a question for all of you women with the same condition. What is your sleeping position? I am 30 years old and for my entire life I have slept with my arm under my stomach. My hand falls right on my uterus. I am questioning if this pressure over the years has caused my uterus to form this shape?
From all the sources I have read, a bicornuate uterus is something you have from birth. It is just something that happens during development in the womb. It isn't hereditary though.

So sleeping in a certain position would not cause your uterus to change shape. You've probably had it all your life!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

November 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM
luvHim's Avatar Expecting #6
I have a niece who has a septum going partially down the middle of her uterus. She just had her first baby!! She had some bleeding early in the pregnancy and that is when they found the septum, but other than that everything was okay until he was born early, at 31 weeks. But he was a champ and is the pudgiest thing today!

D~10 T~8 M~7 L~5 W~2

Angel #4
6wk6d February 11, 2012

November 7th, 2010, 12:56 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I'm just lurking over here but I just found out at the end of my pregnancy that I have a unicornate uterus. From what my doctor said when he did my c/s was that everything on my right side is fully formed but I have a left ovary that is just hanging out with nothing connected to it. He did also say that there is no way of telling which side I got pregnant off of. Before this pregnancy I had a m/c but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. Also my uterus is associated with my horseshoe kidney that I have, basically I have one kidney and one side of my uterus. I forgot to add that my daughter was breech from 30wks on and the reason she didn't shift into the correct position was because there was just no room and I ended up having her at 37wks.

November 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have BOTH a septate and bicornuate uterus. I found out at 36 weeks pregnant with my son during an attempted External Version. He was breech, which is common with uterine anomalies. He was my first pregnancy, i got pregnant right away, and carried him to 37 1/2 weeks. I got pregnant again last Oct. (again first month) but sadly it ended in m/c. I had my septum reduced in Aug. since it was "significant". As for it being bicornuate, mine is only slightly misshapen.

Holly22- A Bicornuate uterus is an congenital abnormality. You did nothing to cause it.

Thank you Sara (misfitinmn) for my awesome siggy!

April 8th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I too have a complete bicornuate uterus. My first pregnancy was when the dr detected the bicornuate uterus. She kept a close eye on me and he was born at 36 weeks, 4 days (he was in my R side). My next pregnancy was in a different state, so I had a different dr. This dr. didn't seem overly concerned about my uterus. This pregnacy was in my L side. He was born at 29 weeks. He's healthy and had no real issues from prematurity. My 3rd pregnancy(in my R side), I went with a different dr. He definitely kept a close eye on me. Every time I had braxton hicks, I went to the hospital for fear of early labor. My dr. did have me on pregesterone injections once a week, to keep my levels high and prevent me from going into premature labor. That pregnancy went to 37 weeks (I induced my labor by drinking castor oil). I have never had any trouble getting pregnant, nor had any miscarriages.
If anyone has any questions about my experience with a complete bicornuate uterus, you can email me at dolphinfoxx at yahoo dot com
April 8th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I have a mild bicornuate uterus and a tilted cervix and I have never had a problem getting pregnant or staying pg I have only had on miscarriage and it was before my first daughter 7 years ago, I found out about the bicornuate uterus pregnant with my second and I had a subchorionic hemorrhage with my last baby but there all healthy
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search