Fertility Dr. Visit

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2010, 12:25 PM
FLAteacher's Avatar Loving the Toddler Life
So....I had my consult this morning. The dr. thinks I have PCOS. Since I have stopped BCP, I have had acne and blemishes. Dermatologists won't do much because we are trying to get pregnant. I also noticed that my cycles used to be 30 or so days. Last month it was 37 days....ugh.

Tomorrow is my HSG which is the blowing on my tubes. DH is going to get a SA. And on Friday, I am getting blood work done for checking my glucose. So we are going to do these 3 things and then follow-up to see what the results will be. He said he could also start me on Clomid once we meet back.

Little bummed out that I MIGHT have PCOS.

November 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
oh! good luck to you!!
and if you don't mind what is pcos and symptoms ?

Oops! I should google it, I'm sorry.
November 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear you may have PCOS, I am in the same boat as you, our doctor visits sound one in the same, she told me the same thing and ordered the same tests. Good luck on your HSG, I get mine next cycle and would like to hear first hand how it went. DH also has to get the SA, he is not looking forward to it after reading the instructions. Good luck to you and keep me updated!!!

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

November 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So sorry. That's no fun.
that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38, the Bible
November 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
Sorry to hear about your results....GL tomorrow and for your husband's SA. Hope things work out for you and your hubby! Sending positive thoughts....
November 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLee View Post
Sorry to hear you may have PCOS, I am in the same boat as you, our doctor visits sound one in the same, she told me the same thing and ordered the same tests. Good luck on your HSG, I get mine next cycle and would like to hear first hand how it went. DH also has to get the SA, he is not looking forward to it after reading the instructions. Good luck to you and keep me updated!!!
DH has to cum in a cup and have the cup ready to the Dr's office within 30 minutes. I told him....do his business but be READY to go to work after he is done. I will post again tomorrow after my HSG procedure. Keep your eyes open for it.

November 30th, 2010, 06:18 PM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAteacher View Post
DH has to cum in a cup and have the cup ready to the Dr's office within 30 minutes. I told him....do his business but be READY to go to work after he is done. I will post again tomorrow after my HSG procedure. Keep your eyes open for it.
HAHA! You should have seen the look on DH face when he read the part that said he could not use ANY lube, OMG, PRICELESS!!!!! We live more than 30 minutes away so he will have to do his there at the lab, he was not a happy camper, but he said the SA compared to the HSG he drew the better straw. I am having him wait till AF comes cause he has to abstain from BD for 2 days and I want all the swimmers i can get this cycle! Maybe once I confirm I have O'ed I will let him go, we shall see! I will keep my eyes out for your post tomorrow!!! Good luck girl!!!

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

November 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The doctor thinks you have PSOS just because of acne and cycle length? or are there other symptoms you have? It just seems extreme to think you have PSOS based off of those two things. I am 28 and still have acne. Its just bad luck and my cycles have been wacky at times and I never had trouble conceiving and I always ovulate. There has to be more or a reason than that to think you may have PSOS because a lot of adults still get acne and have screwy cycles. I really hope you don't have it but I also hope the doctor will be able to help you in some way so you can conceive sooner.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

November 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you also getting blood work done for prolactin levels?

I don't think it's extreme to have a dr check up on pcos. He's not officially diagnosed at this point, from what I understand reading here. Right? Pcos usually displays insulin resistance, trouble conceiving, inhibits and can prevent ovulation, changes cycle lengths so that hormones don't form a reliable two-phase pattern each month, painful and/or heavy menstruation, and adult acne, tiredness, depression and weight gain are often linked as well because they manifest from the primary symptoms. However, a good friend of mine has pcos and her problem symptoms are migraines, follicles on her ovaries that rupture on occasion, and extreme difficulty gaining weight, so it doesn't always look the same on different women.

It's good that this dr isn't seeing the surface (no pun intended) and simply saying, well, lay off the chocolate for a while and you'll be fine. It is worth checking all corners and making sure nothing was overlooked. Diagnosis of pcos requires at least one of blood tests, sometimes vaginal ultrasounds to examine the ovaries, and I highly doubt that a qualified obgyn would prescribe treatment for such a condition without ensuring the existence of it in the first place.
November 30th, 2010, 07:29 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was just wondering if her symptoms were more than just acne and cycle irregularity! Because now Im worried because I have those two symptoms! I just didnt think just those things meant a strong possibility of PSOS. But thats good to get it checked anyways if your going to get everything checked. I hope it will turn out you dont have it.

Thanks for listing more info on it PurpleTurtle. I remember reading some women have no symptoms at all even. Is adult acne that big of a warning sign? Ive had problems since 15 years old but its not as bad now as when I was younger. I do get a clear BBT pattern. If you have a clear set of lows, a temp rise, and than a clear set of highs, obviously indicating ovulation than does that mean you dont have a chance of PSOS regardless of the acne? Sorry Im not trying to hi-jack the thread Im just worried now because of the acne thing I can relate to.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

November 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Will be waiting for your post about your HSG- I hope you get some answers and your doctor can help you get that BFP!
I also have adult acne- it does flare at certain times in my cycle which sucks I didn't know that could be a sign of PCOS either.

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
December 1st, 2010, 04:22 AM
hollann1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good Luck!!! I hope you get good results soon and im glad the doctors are looking into things for you. Ill keep my eye out for your updates.

** Thank you Oona for the awesome siggy**
December 1st, 2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTurtle View Post
Are you also getting blood work done for prolactin levels?

I don't think it's extreme to have a dr check up on pcos. He's not officially diagnosed at this point, from what I understand reading here. Right? Pcos usually displays insulin resistance, trouble conceiving, inhibits and can prevent ovulation, changes cycle lengths so that hormones don't form a reliable two-phase pattern each month, painful and/or heavy menstruation, and adult acne, tiredness, depression and weight gain are often linked as well because they manifest from the primary symptoms. However, a good friend of mine has pcos and her problem symptoms are migraines, follicles on her ovaries that rupture on occasion, and extreme difficulty gaining weight, so it doesn't always look the same on different women.

It's good that this dr isn't seeing the surface (no pun intended) and simply saying, well, lay off the chocolate for a while and you'll be fine. It is worth checking all corners and making sure nothing was overlooked. Diagnosis of pcos requires at least one of blood tests, sometimes vaginal ultrasounds to examine the ovaries, and I highly doubt that a qualified obgyn would prescribe treatment for such a condition without ensuring the existence of it in the first place.
<<Pcos usually displays insulin resistance, trouble conceiving, inhibits and can prevent ovulation, changes cycle lengths so that hormones don't form a reliable two-phase pattern each month, painful and/or heavy menstruation, and adult acne, tiredness, depression and weight gain are often linked as well because they manifest from the primary symptoms. >>

Let's see what I have: change in cycle lengths, just recently painful O's, adult acne since coming off of BCP, tired and weight gain (which might be my thyroid). But I am at the gym 3-4 times a week and still can not lose weight nor am I gaining weight.
The Dr. told me that I have 2 out of the 3 symptoms for PCOS. The acne which showed after coming off of the pill and irregular cycles. When I FIRST starting charting, I had 30 cycle days. Last month was 37 days and the month before was 36 days.

**I hope I do NOT have PCOS.**

December 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope you come out all clear, too.

One of the largest concerns with pcos is not actually infertility. There are many, many women with pcos, not at all the small minority, who have easily conceived healthy babies multiple times. The main concern is the insulin resistance factor. If that is not diagnosed and managed it can develop into diabetes.

I'm sorry you have frustration with weight management. I understand, really I do! You might easily be healthier, though, than a lot of people who are slimmer without having to put in so much work.

Nicole, regarding the acne -- (sorry, it's long!)
The type of adult acne, and the occurrence, make the bigger difference in consideration with pcos. You are right in that many women unfortunately suffer from adult acne without also suffering from a more serious bodily illness. I don't think anyone should have to suffer adult acne, it's miserable! Adult acne differs from the teenage variant in that it usually develops after the teen years, or changes to a different acne pattern than it was in the teen years, includes larger pustules, deep boils, few or no black head blemishes, scars more easily. Skin is often drier rather than too oily. Rosacea is another type of adult acne seldom seen in teens.

It sounds like your fertility is in good order, Nicole, so I wouldn't worry about acne being a development of pcos at this time. Acne often (but not always) results from pcos because of the imbalance and irregularity of hormones, and the insulin resistance which alters the ph and sugar level of the skin.

I also have acne, though in much milder form recently than I have dealt with for many years. I had almost perfectly clear skin through most of my teens, and acne did not begin to develop until the end of my first year at college, when I was nearing 20. It progressed steadily worse. I have taken every form of oral and topical medication that could be prescribed for me except roaccutane, and nothing worked. (My mum and my middle brother both required roaccutane to heal their acne but dermatologists in '06-'09 refused to prescribe me such treatment because of the implications it has to fertility.) When I was pregnant in '09 it was painful and unsightly, red all over my face, chest and upper back, deep boils along the jaw line. I finally gave up trying to cure it. Mercifully, it has eased up and I have clearer skin now than in the last 7 years! It's amazing. I have few red blemishes now but my main complaint are still the painful boils that appear under the skin, as hard and large as dried peas, that take weeks to heal. Still, fewer of those than I used to get. So I don't use any chemicals on my face anymore, wash it with a light sugar and olive oil scrub and a sulfate-free glycerine soap. I've been doing this for 3 months now.

We easily forget that the skin is the largest organ of the body, and that waste is excreted through the dermis. I suspect that my skin simply had enough of medication and was so out of balance it needed a break. Using the olive oil and hot water has not blocked up my pores -- they are smoother. Surprising, no? My face heals more quickly now that I am not stripping it of it's natural bacteria and oils. I have red blotches and break out again the day after I use salicyclic acid in an OTC wash or spot gel. This isn't a miracle cure, but I'm throwing it out there as an idea to try, for those of you who have done it all and are still irritated with acne!
December 1st, 2010, 09:28 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! Keep us posted!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search