Am I setting myself up for twins?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2011, 11:15 AM
ohfiddleheads's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my spouse and I are going to start trying to to conceive in the next month or so. I'm still on the pill and wishy washy about whether I want to finish it or not. Now I've been doing some internet research this morning about the likelihood of twins after coming off the BCP. I've ready three things on this website to help INcrease chances of multiples: it runs in the family (my maternal grandmother's sister had twins), taking folic acid prior to conception (I'm already taking a prenatal multivitamin that amounts to 1 mg of folic acid daily), and we're going for it as soon as I'm off the pill. Sooo...am I boosting my chances of having multiples, or what?

July 14th, 2011, 11:35 AM
A Mommy N Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
NO idea. But alot of people have issues conceiving after coming off BCPs. I hope you don't have an issues and conceive quickly. If only one person in the family has had twins then maybe you wont. I don't know alot about it. Only one set of twins have been born into our family and they didn't make it so I've never even looked into it.
Thank you for the wonderful siggie.

July 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have only heard that having twins run in your family will increase your chances of twins. I have never heard about the folic acid or BC.

I will say that with DS I was taking folic acid before conception (in my prenatals) and I have a very strong line of women having twins on my mother's side of the family. The closest (I'm not going to try to get into extended family) twins I have in my family, my grandfather was a twin and I have twin cousins. With that said I only had one baby last time.
July 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I don't think so. I conceived my oldest son right after I came off the pill, and I do mean RIGHT AFTER. I have more than one set of twins in my family. (on both sides) and I too toke a prenatal vitamin for the last month I was on the pill.

I went back on the pill when he was born , and came off a second time when we were trying to conceive our second child (also a boy), it took 4 cycles that time, I was totally devastated when I didn't conceive right away like I did with our first. this is our first 2 WW trying to conceive our third, but I wasn't on BCP this time.

I hope you get your BFP this cycle, and I wouldn't worry too much about twins!
July 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
A Mommy N Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think really it depends on your own body. Maybe you will have twins could be fun even if you don't think you are ready for them.
Thank you for the wonderful siggie.

July 14th, 2011, 02:18 PM
you could possibly, i am hoping to get pregnant right away after i get my iud taken out. Good luck to you!

Thank you Alex and Aidens mommy for my siggy!
July 14th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Super Mommy
Large doses of folic acid ( 4000-5000 mcg) increases your chance of twins .
July 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No idea here but good luck!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

bcp , folic acid , multiples , ttc , twins

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search