Looking for thoughts on organic diets and TTC

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Twoboysmaybemore's Avatar Veteran
I read a book that was given to me and it was was advising to eat an organic, vegetarian and ultimately raw diet in order to improve fertility. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this. It seems a bit extremist to me but, am curious if I am just too attached to my big macs?

If you want more info, I review the book on my blog here. There is also a copy available for giveaway but that is not the purpose of this post. I am really looking for thoughts on if you think this is something I should be doing.
---6 early losses---
Joey- 7/15/10

July 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hmmmm I wouldn't go so far as to OBSESS over a diet, but I did buy a book, Eating for Pregnancy. It's just another book to add to my recipe collection! LOL! It has apparently 150 good recipes, to cover a bit of everything for everyone's lifestyles I assume. I haven't looked into to it very much yet, but you are tempting me to do so now!
July 27th, 2011, 07:51 AM
*Crystal*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We eat about 80% organic and DS eats closer to 95% organic. It's very important to us. We do not, however eat raw all that often.

We eat organically for many reasons but to improve fertility isn't one of them. I'm not so sure that organic improves fertility as much as just eating healthy does. I guess organic and eating healthy tend to go hand and hand though.

I do know that avoiding ALL trans fats (which you will find in many fast foods) helps improve fertility greatly. I read a study recently that women who consume more then 4g of trans fats a day are 70% less likely to conceive. Many places have eliminated trans fats now because it is terrible for your overall health. Also, I know avoiding high fat foods and white sugars is much better for your fertility.

I think it is most important to eat organic meats and dairy products. That is not something we are willing to compromise on.
July 28th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Choose joy
I think that by eating a healthy diet you would improve overall health which could lead to increased fertility. If a person is overweight or dealing with health issues I could see how it would be more beneficial.

Not everyone will eat vegetarian and raw, however. Some of the most important things to me are: no HFCS, no trans fats, buy local and/or organic when possible. I agree that hormone free meat and dairy is important.

Tags
diet , fertility , organic , ttc

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search