OPKs- What do you recommend?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2011, 06:55 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Next month I'm going to start using OPKs. For one, it either takes 7 days after ovulation for progesterone to raise my temp above a cover line by FAM standards, or my CM is fooling me and I ovulate later than it tells me. I'd really like to know what's going on, so OPKs seem like a good solution. Plus, I have a *slight* POAS addiction What brand do you recommend?
September 21st, 2011, 06:58 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I would go with the Clearblue Digital OPK's - 20 pack. You can get it from Amazon for $34 Amazon.com: Clearblue Easy Digital Ovulation Test, 20 Count (Packaging May Vary): Health & Personal Care

I like this one because there are enough strips to test a.m. and p.m. (I usually test mid-morning after I've been up a few hours and then in the late afternoon). There is no guesswork because you either get a smiley or you don't. I refuse to waste any more time analyzing stupid lines than necessary! These have always been right on for me.

September 21st, 2011, 07:12 AM
seri0uslyc0nfused's Avatar Just Confused....
I just use the cheap ones. I bought 50 OPK and 20 HPT together for 12.95 on ebay. I'm pretty happy with that deal! lol. Gives me enough to test if I just feel like it

September 21st, 2011, 07:25 AM
I don't know if 20 HPTs in my hand at one time is such a good idea, haha. I am a fan of cheap as long as they work. I was going to start with the dollar tree brand, but then I realized even that would add up pretty quickly, since I'm planning on testing twice a day for at least a week. I might go for the more expensive, but easily read digital ones just so I don't obsess. But of course, part of the fun of TTC is obsessing.
September 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Answer and Dollar Store this month and I have to say, I liked the $ ones better. Answer is great IF you catch your surge right at the peak. Otherwise it seems to be hard to determine if it's a positive or not.

September 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I want ones that will give me a little heads up that it's coming (can detect the surge beginning), just so I can compare with CM. I don't want to risk missing it if i don't test at the perfect time.
September 21st, 2011, 07:57 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
I don't know if 20 HPTs in my hand at one time is such a good idea, haha. I am a fan of cheap as long as they work. I was going to start with the dollar tree brand, but then I realized even that would add up pretty quickly, since I'm planning on testing twice a day for at least a week. I might go for the more expensive, but easily read digital ones just so I don't obsess. But of course, part of the fun of TTC is obsessing.
If you can be disciplined (I'm not), the 20 pack OPK will last 2 months. In fact, you can probably stretch it farther than that if you just test 5 days at mid-afternoon each cycle. If my TTC efforts keep dragging on and on, I'll probably have to start doing that, because I'm not going to buy a $34 kit every month either.

September 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
I think I'll have a hard time being disciplined. Knowing me, I'll be using them 3 times a day when my period ends and posting here for everyone to analyze I think I'll have to buy in bulk. Do they have POAS support groups anywhere?
September 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I use cheap ones from Amazon, too. You can buy 40 OPKs and 10 HPTs for under $10. They work just fine for me.

September 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Do they have POAS support groups anywhere?
You found it.

We're all a bunch of POAS addicts here.

September 21st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Pretty_N_Ink's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie518 View Post
You found it.

We're all a bunch of POAS addicts here.

RIP Bristol Grace 10/28/12-11/19/12
You're always in our hearts sweet girl
September 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
Veteran
I like the smiley face ones. Just much easier for me but i also take the stick out after to see the lines. And for me it seems like the 2nd day of my smiley is when the lines are close in color
September 21st, 2011, 05:45 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I buy the cheapies. Doesn't really matter what brand. My cycles are irregular so i need to be able to test often.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search