New here... Looking for some advice

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hello everyone
This may be a bit long but here it goes: I am 31 and my DH is 37. We decided that this year we are going to serious start TTC. Got a few hiccups. Was on bcp for 10 years. Have been off the pill for 3 years. I was diagnosed with PCOS many years ago. Now I have to wonder if I really do have it. I have a period every month and the only real symptoms of PCOS I have is some hair on my face, a few irregular cycles and I am overweight. Doc says I was prediabetic but recent tests show me with a fasting glucose of 90. Have had three ultrasounds. First was normal ovaries, second showed "string of pearls" on both ovaries and the third one, they were gone!
DH also has some issues: he has low testosterone (soon to take shots for that) and he also takes blood pressure meds.
Previous doc told us both that we would have a REAL hard time having kids since we had these "issues"
I guess what I want to know is what do you think? How often should we be BD'ing before we realize that TTC is going to be hard? Also, what can I have my new doc test to confirm if I really do have infertility issues?
Sorry for this being so long. Any insight or personal stories would be great. I'm really wanted to start a family. (hoping for 2-4 children when all is done) fingers crossed
January 5th, 2012, 04:44 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Some of those questions only you yourself can answer, like how long you should TTC before giving up... Have you been on clomid yet? That is the most common route for women TTC with PCOS and it typically brings great results. You could ask your doc on that.
As far as timing, I would recommend to get opks and take 2-3 a day around the time you think you usually ovulate. The ones you can order from amazon work great and are much cheaper than the store bought ones. Good luck to you guys!!

January 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Caleb's Mommy!

I'm sorry that you're hitting some roadblocks. Lots of people get pregnant with PCOS, so don't count yourself out yet because of that. Especially since you have at most a mild case of it. It sounds like DH is taking a good step with the testosterone, so there seems to be no reason why you should give up hope.

Have you considered charting? You can chart your basal body temperatures and cervical mucus, and that will tell you if/ when you are ovulating (which is the main problem with PCOS). If you're not, like Nina said, there's Clomid to get you ovulating. It takes a little while to get the hang of charting, but it is well worth the info you will get about your body. And it will help you time BDing so you have the best chance of getting pregnant. I recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility for more information. Good luck, and please keep us posted!
Due with #2 on July 10

January 5th, 2012, 06:34 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
As for how often to BD and things like that, I'd start with "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." It is a great book that teaches you about when to BD, how to interpret your body's signals, etc. It is like a handbook for women on how to get pregnant. I would also make changes to jump-start your weight-loss...being overweight and prediabetic not only impacts your ability to get pregnant, but will affect the health of your babies as well.

Good luck! I hope it isn't as hard as your doctor predicted!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 5th, 2012, 08:38 AM
-Brandy-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I was recently diagnosed with a mild case of PCOS and put on 500mg of Metformin. My doctor was able to tell by doing bloodwork--mainly FSH, LH, and Testosterone. Maybe you could ask the new doctor to have bloodwork done to see where your numbers come back?

Also, there is a board for women TTC with PCOS, and those ladies are a wealth of knowledge if you have more PCOS related questions.

A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

January 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies that Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a must-read. Also, it sounds like you are taking a lot of good steps to avoid those road blocks you might face on this TTC journey. I would definitely say that since you know there are going to be some issues along the way, to be patient (granted this is much easier said than done.) TTC can take some time even for couples have zero fertility issues, so I think that if you are patient and are doing all you can to deal with the problems that might come your way, that you have a good chance of getting pregnant. Good luck with everything! Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

Tags
first ttc , pcos

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search