Interesting article on breastfeeding....

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LPNMOMMY84

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I breastfed my son and I HATED it. I knew it was good for him but I wasn't good at it and he cried everytime I tried to feed him. I went to a lactician consultant for help, but after 3 months, I couldn't stand it.

I hope you ladies had / have better luck!

A pediatrician's guide to breastfeeding | Fox News

Leia
July 9th, 2012, 05:25 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Serenity latched moments after birth and was nursing until she self weaned at nearly 2 years.

I hope if I have this miracle baby we want, I am also lucky again with the nursing.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

July 9th, 2012, 06:28 AM
LPNMOMMY84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It was mostly a good article. But nursing in and of itself can sustain a baby till a year and even beyond. There is no need for solids, at all. Food is more for fun much before one year and even till 18 months in some of my clients.

Im more in line with the WHO's reccs on most things anyway. Like breastfeeding till 2, they are usually on point with everything.

I also think a lot of pediatricians have NO IDEA about proper breastfeeding. I would search out a great post partum doula or a private lactation consultant. IMO Pediatricians may advocate nursing but are not always well versed in the language of lactation. There are many norms, in other words, my normal is not your normal, and so on. Dr's IME tend to stick to a "Model" one set of norms and if you fall out of those norms, they see pathology and want to fix.

For example, my younger daughter nursed exclusively for 6 months. Never a bottle or pacifier, no formula. She SOLELY one side nursed. My Dr thought I was NUTS and told me she was going to lose weight and BLAH BLAH BLAH but I knew it was what worked for us. She never lost weight until after I stopped nursing and gave her formula, BTW and all the extra milk I pumped off went to a baby in need.
LaceyMay2630 likes this.

Torre mom to 2 girls, wife to Shawn.

Last edited by LPNMOMMY84; July 9th, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
July 9th, 2012, 07:41 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
We can't donate milk here which is a shame. I had so much. Serenity favoured the left side so I had to self express into the drain on my right.

I think Serenity started on solids when she was 8 months, she never wanted any before hand. She had finger foods like raw carrot when she was teething but tat was about it until baby rice.

Then she started to self wean but loved nursing after food and before bed. Then one day she did not come to get it.. that was sad.

I really hope I get the chance to do it again,.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

July 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM
LaceyMay2630's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPNMOMMY84 View Post
It was mostly a good article. But nursing in and of itself can sustain a baby till a year and even beyond. There is no need for solids, at all. Food is more for fun much before one year and even till 18 months in some of my clients.

Im more in line with the WHO's reccs on most things anyway. Like breastfeeding till 2, they are usually on point with everything.

I also think a lot of pediatricians have NO IDEA about proper breastfeeding. I would search out a great post partum doula or a private lactation consultant. IMO Pediatricians may advocate nursing but are not always well versed in the language of lactation. There are many norms, in other words, my normal is not your normal, and so on. Dr's IME tend to stick to a "Model" one set of norms and if you fall out of those norms, they see pathology and want to fix.

For example, my younger daughter nursed exclusively for 6 months. Never a bottle or pacifier, no formula. She SOLELY one side nursed. My Dr thought I was NUTS and told me she was going to lose weight and BLAH BLAH BLAH but I knew it was what worked for us. She never lost weight until after I stopped nursing and gave her formula, BTW and all the extra milk I pumped off went to a baby in need.
This is will be my first baby that I nurse and I plan on getting my Doula and Lactation Consultant to help me. I just don't think pediatricians are... Well informed enough to understand it, I mean they do great at the jobs they have, but there are just things that I believe should be left to a Midwife/Doula and Lactation Consultant.

I have a really close friend who is really amazing with breastfeeding. She has 2 daughters, the older one is now 3 and she was nursed until she was self weaned at 2. She also has a 10 month old that is still going strong, and she plans to do the same. She's amazing and she's going to be my LC.

It's incredible how much a mother just knows how much their baby needs, and she also donates her milk to babies who need it. I love it!

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search