...unsettling blood test results...

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Diamond2009
  • 1 Post By corynneo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to all of this (trying to conceive and posting on message boards!) so I might not have the lingo down and I feel a little awkward....like everyone is staring at me.....anyway, here goes nothing...

My entire life, I've wanted to be a mom. I feel it in my bones. It's a dull ache. I've always had suspicions that I can't get pregnant or will have a difficult time. This had never been substantiated and was probably just a defense mechanism to ease the pain if it were, in fact, true. I recently got married and have become obsessed with TTC. I scheduled an appt with my ob/gyn during my 2nd cycle of trying just to make sure everything is ok (I know too many women who have tried for months or even years, only to then find out that something is wrong and is possibly as simple to fix as taking a pill/shot/etc). While there, my dr informed me that my progesterone may be low (the time between ovulation and the start of my period is 11 days vs. 14, as it should be) - which might mean that, even if I were to conceive, my body might not be able to maintain the pregnancy (a problem my cousin faced for YEARS). I also just got a call from her with my blood test results. Estrogen is good but my FSH is high (10.7 - should be around a 7). She sounded confused as to why somebody my age (28) would have an elevated level but didn't seem too concerned. She told me not to worry and to keep trying and, most importantly, to have fun. But all I can think now is that my fears are becoming a reality. I know women face much more serious and frustrating issues than these but it's so hard when you're so excited. I can't help but feel sad at this news...

I guess this is my long-winded, round about way of asking if anybody has experienced low progesterone or elevated FSH levels and still successfully gotten pregnant. And if so, did you have to go through any extra effort to get there (medication, etc)?

Looking forward to hearing from you
October 25th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
First of all welcome to the board. My name is Kim

If your LP is only 11 days you may want to try B6 to help lengthen it. I have never used it personally but alot of woman on these boatds have and it has been successful.

ALso with low progesterone there is i believe progesterone cream and pill that you can take as soon as you get a early BFP to help the baby snuggle in.

Hope your stay here is short and any questions you have feel free to ask them on the boards there is alot of knowledgeable woman around here.

P.S Do you chart? Temp? Use OPK? If you do we would love to stalk your chart
hopeful_girl55 likes this.

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

October 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I dont have any info for you but wanted to say HI!!!!

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
October 25th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome And thanks for the suggestions - I will look into B6.

Kim - I used OPK for the first time last cycle. That's all I do (besides monitor my cm - in fact, I thought I never surged last month because it was much later than I thought, but one morning (after I'd given up for the cycle) I woke up with tons of egg white cm and thought to test and it was immediately positive!).

I will have to look at these charts to see how to submit! I'd love someone to stalk my chart and be as obsessive as I am! haha!
Diamond2009 likes this.
October 25th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I have an 11 day LP, and while I've had way more miscarriages than births, only a couple were chemicals, and those happened while I was breastfeeding and had a 6-7 day LP. I had a luteal phase defect with my first two pregnancies. The first miscarried at 8 weeks, and the second was my first daughter. Conceived both while having a 7 day LP.

11 days should be plenty of time.
October 25th, 2012, 10:02 PM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When in your cycle did your OB check your FSH? That is a test that needs to be done around cds 3-5 if I'm not mistaking.

Yep I was kind of right!

When Are FSH Levels Checked?
You should have your FSH level checked on day 3 of your menstrual cycle. This is because FSH starts the ovulation process by getting a follicle growing. The FSH level provides information about how hard your body has to work to get this process started. If your ovarian reserve (how many eggs you have left) is low, your body will have to work much harder and FSH levels will be higher.

A lot of other sites say cd 3 as well!
October 26th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello and welcome.

I just wanted to say hi to a new member of this TTC journey. I know how rough it is. And I know what its like to run into problems that make you feel hopeless but are so much less of a worry than you really think they are. Trust these women they are smart and have been doing this long enough to know what they are talking about.

Hopefully you can your hormone levels balanced out and you get your BFP asap!
Good luck and lots of baby dust to you!

**Thanks Lucy! Love my V-Day Blinkie**
October 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
Well whenever you are ready to chart just go to fertility friend or one of the other similar sites and start charting you CM and OPK's for now. If you want you can always try temping since that is the only way for sure you can tell if you O'd other then BW. a +OPK just tells you that your body is gearing up to O doesnt confirm that you indeed actually O.

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

October 26th, 2012, 07:36 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there and welcome!!!!

I am fairly new here and when I first joined I felt exactly the same way...about everything you said! It can be rough to join a new group - but everyone here is so supportive, nice, friendly, and informative! Which I have found to be exactly what I need to keep my obsessions at bay.

I have also felt the same way - that I will not be able to get pregnant. I have thought something was wrong with me for no reason for many many many years. DH and I are in Cycle 3 and my doctor doesn't want to run tests yet but I would love for her to. . . I don't have any suggestions on that front but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in those feelings

So welcome here!!! The people are amazing! And I hope your stay here is short! Best of luck!!!!!!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

October 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
unless you chart its hard to say that you have an 11 day LP were going by the positive OPK?

I was also going to say that FSH should only be checked normally on CD 3

October 26th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I agree it is extremely difficult to say how long your LP is unless you chart temperature and yes B6 can help with short LP

Usually they wont do a full TTC lab panel until you have been TTC for 1year +, but maybe see if your doc can give you the full TTC work up because a lot of those tests have to be done a certain times or there not accurate

Fingers crossed for you!!!!

And wanted to add anything over a 10day LP is fine to conceive with
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

October 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Wow - so many responses! It's so good to hear from everyone. Sorry for my absence. My DH took me away for the weekend

Blood work and ultrasound (to check ovaries/follicles) were done on CD 3 - so pretty sure it was as accurate as could be. I do agree with everyone on not knowing exactly when I ovulated (or if I did...) based on OPK's alone. Honestly, does everyone feel when they ovulate? I feel like sometimes I do and sometimes it's just crickets down there. This past cycle was one of those quiet months. I think I'll give this next cycle a go and if nothing happens, I'll start charting my temp.

Anyway, after obsessing over my test results, I went out to Rite Aid and got a bunch of vitamins/supplements so I'm on B6 (as well as prenatal, b complex, and fish oil) just to be safe.

On another note, my dr said we could test my progesterone in the next cycle to make sure I ovulate, if I want, but do you guys think charting temp is accurate/telling enough to determine ovulation?

Sorry - I am so new at this TTC stuff. I feel so in over my head sometimes!
October 29th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think we all feel in over our heads sometimes. It can be over whelming. And we have all been new to this at one point or another so it's okay!
And if your doc is giving you the option to check your progesterone I would, it can't hurt.

And its good that you went and got vitamins. Are you taking any vitamin D? There has been a lot of study saying it helps.

**Thanks Lucy! Love my V-Day Blinkie**

Tags
advice needed , anxious , high fsh , low progesterone , ttc

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search