TTC Twins

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By Adventuremom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Super Mommy
Hey Everyone,

My husband and I have just started TTC. We have no children yet, but I always thought twings would be a great experience. Now I know that twins occure more often when you have the genes for them. However, twins are NO WHERE in my family.

Just wondering if there are any old wives tales to concieving twins that could possibly be worth a try, or does anyone of a success story with concieving twins??

Any Thoughts??
December 18th, 2012, 05:35 AM
swtneka's Avatar Praying for a miracle
Don't know any remedies just wanted to wish u gl

Thanks bonnie for my siggie

December 18th, 2012, 06:12 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Being pregnant with twins comes with increased risks.

-increased risk of miscarriage
-increased risk of needing a c-section
-20% chance of losing one of the twins before 12 weeks (been through this, and it's not fun) and a 40% chance of losing one of the twins by 20 weeks.
-60% of twins are born prematurely
-risk of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome
-higher risk of gestational diabetes
-higher risk of placenta problems, including placenta abruption
-higher risk of heart problems
-higher risk of mother getting preeclampsia
-low birth weight (even when not premature)
-increased risk of stillborns

Now that you have the facts, there is very little you can do to increase your odds of twins. If they run in your family, or if you are older than 30 or 40, that will increase your odds. Medications such as Clomid can increase your odds. So can IVF, if you transfer more than one embryo. Also, a study showed that taking folic acid can increase your odds of having twins by 40% (that does not mean you have a 40% chance of having twins (it means more like you have a 1.5% chance instead of a 1% chance), and everyone should be taking folic acid while TTC anyway because once you get pregnant, taking folic acid in early pregnancy helps to prevent neural tube defects)/
AIK112018 likes this.

Last edited by alittlelost; December 18th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
December 18th, 2012, 06:21 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard that eating a certain kind of yam can help with hyperovulating (which is what tapioca is.)
Also taking a higher amount of folic acid has been shown to have a higher chance of hyperovulating as well but I do not recommend to do so unless approved by a doctor.

Good luck!
December 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Adventuremom's Avatar Leah
I have two friends who have lost twins - one lost one twin due to PROM (membranes ruptured at 21 weeks - the boy died and the girl survived - but was premature). The other friend had identicals and neither one made it - so I don't know if I would want to try for twins. I know there are many who are healthy and thriving, but the losses were so devastating to my friends/coworkers. I only have one Fallopian tube now, though, so the chances are very low for me in any case.

Certain fertility medications can increase the odds, and so can taking a good dose of Folic Acid.
alittlelost likes this.

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
September 27, 2012: 5 weeks, 4 days. November 20, 2012: Ruptured ectopic.

My articles: http://leahlefler.hubpages.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search