Traveling overseas pregnant

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By cutenurse24
  • 1 Post By chachartier
  • 1 Post By cutenurse24
  • 2 Post By Gamer_Princess
  • 2 Post By muffin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 07:11 AM
Hello,
I'm not pregnant yet but we would like to be. The only issue we have, were supposed to be traveling to the Dominican Republic this summer for a wedding. How far along can you travel over seas? Is it even safe?

Any suggestions/ comments/ advice?

January 21st, 2013, 07:22 AM
Davis720's Avatar Super Mommy
i dont think they recommend flying past 30-some-odd weeks. not sure exactly though, and I'm pretty sure that's just because they don't want you to go into labor on the plane

January 21st, 2013, 07:25 AM
Adventuremom's Avatar Leah
You should be safe, as if you got pregnant this month or the next you would be less than 36 weeks pregnant at the time of travel (according to this article, flying is safe prior to 36 weeks): Flying and Pregnancy

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
September 27, 2012: 5 weeks, 4 days. November 20, 2012: Ruptured ectopic.

My articles: http://leahlefler.hubpages.com/
January 21st, 2013, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it would depend on your pregnancy and what your doctor would recommend. If your doctor is ok and you aren't high risk, I think you are ok to fly up until 32 or 36 wks. But if you are high risk I think it is like 24 or 28wks. I can't remember for sure.
Adventuremom likes this.

January 21st, 2013, 09:32 AM
But what about traveling to the Dominican Republic? Because it's another country and apparently other diseases there. That's my main concern.
January 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A friend of mine was supposed to go on a cruise when she was like 7 months pregnant. When she tried to board the ship, they told her you can't go on the cruise if you are in your third trimester... lol. My doc told me I could not fly past 32 weeks but I had a very healthy uncomplicated pregnancy. I don't think the DR is a highly concerning country when it comes to diseases but I could be totally wrong, check the web, I can't think of the website right now that has like lists of public concerns for specific countries. I think it may have just been a military thing for me though. Talk to your doc.
Adventuremom likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

January 21st, 2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Adventuremom likes this.

January 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would see what kind of shots you have to have in order to go to the Dominican Republic.. Maybe go to your doctor and see if you can get the immunizations before you actively get pregnant so you are covered. Then once you are pregnant and go to the wedding make sure the airline you fly with allows pregnancy at your stage If anything maybe your doctor can give you a waiver or something to fly. I hope this helps!
cutenurse24 and Adventuremom like this.

January 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy

January 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Most airlines will require you to have a doctors note if you're over 36 weeks, but each airline has their own set of rules. Your doctor will be able to tell you depending on your specific pregnancy needs if it's OK for you to travel, but for a "normal" pregnancy, it's not anything to be concerned about. Personally, I wouldn't want to go somewhere hot when I was more than 6-7 months along, but that's just because I get cranky when I overheat!

We went to the Dominican when I was 17 or 18 weeks with DD and had a great time! I checked with the preventative med guys at work about diseases etc... and they said that there wasn't anything to worry about. They gave me some pretty awesome bug juice that I never even ended up needing, but other than that, I was good to go! The only complaint I have about the trip (being pregnant) was that we had to walk for some distance with our suitcases over rough terrain (not roads, think bushwhacking) when the main roads were blocked because of some political strife in the area. (They were cutting down trees, laying them across the road and setting them on fire.) Luckily DH was able to carry our suitcase for me

I say book the tickets and if you end up pregnant, then great! You can decide later on if it's too much for you. Either way, you'll end up with a baby, and/or a vacation!
cutenurse24 and Adventuremom like this.

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
January 21st, 2013, 01:11 PM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^^ i like your thinking

Tags
dangers , overseas , pregnancy , traveling

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search