TTC and weight issues

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2005, 11:30 AM
melissa29624's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to melissa29624
Hello again....I just wanted to put this out there! I hope it doesn't offend anyone! I am still about 20 lbs overweight from having my daughter (4 years ago..pathetic..right?!) and we are TTC #2 now. I just wonder if being this much overweight will affect our chances any. Have any of you out there gotten PG being a little overweight? Thanks in advance for you feedback.
Melissa
April 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Super Mommy
Are you overweight by your own definition or your doctors?
April 19th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Well...my doctor has never told me that I'm overweight....but I weigh 164 at only 5'4"...so I know that I'm 20-25 lbs overweight. I weighed 138 when I got PG with my daughter and was 188 lbs when I delivered. I gained 50 lbs with her and still haven't lost it all!
April 19th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Super Mommy
Well I know my mom is and always has had issues w/ he weight and was overweight by about 25-35 pounds when she had me. I know being overweight can effect one's chances of getting pregnant, but I'm not sure if your weight fits into the dangerous range. Have you checked your BMI on-line?
April 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
when my cousin was TTC her 1st she was over weight like 30-40 lbs. She also had fertility shots on top of that & they too made her gain more weight. Her MD said that the weight issue can prevent you form ovulating. So if you ovulating then I wouldn't worry about it any.
April 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Super Mommy
Yes...being overweight can cause issues...I just do not ovulate probably due to being overweight, is what the doc said. I'm 5'4" also and am at 185 right now. No one believes it because I don't look it. Still, I am uncomfortable with myself and am wanting to drop about 30 lbs. while ttc so I am healthier for my baby. I now have to take clomid to trick my body into ovulating.

We are angels with but one wing, and to fly we must embrace each other
April 19th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Veteran
First off, you're not pathetic!! I'm also about 30 pounds overweight. I've been pg 3 times (1 baby and 2 m/c's), so although being overweight can cause issues with getting pg, it's not that you're not going to get pg because you're overweight. Does that make sense?

I'm indulging today because I just got AF, but starting tomorrow no junk goes in my mouth and I plan on walking every day. It will be a nice break for myself without my son or husband needing something from me. I want to do this mainly for me, so I can feel good about myself again. I've lost some self-confidence and I want to live a long and healthy life with my family. I remember hearing one time and it's something that's stuck with me. "It's just food!" It really does make sense. My issue is not overeating junk really, but more like if my son doesn't finish his dinner, I'll take a few more nibbles. Well, do that breakfast, lunch, dinner, and throw in a couple of snacks and I just don't realize what I'm eating!

It's not healthy to crash diet while ttc, but if you want a "eating and living healthy" buddy, I'd be glad to set some goals with you! PM me if you want (and anyone else for that matter!)

April 20th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Mistletoes405
I just recently read somewhere that being overweight, even slightly, can effect your chances of ttc. I don't remember where, but I know I read it because I too could stand to lose a few pounds, and it upset me!

Every month I plan to start eating healthier and exercising more, but since DH is not at all disciplined about this kind of stuff, I find it very hard. Plus, I have a HUGE sweet tooth. But if you guys would like to make the effort together, please count me in!! It's always easier with someone else, because it gives you accountability.
April 20th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Thanks guys for being so supportive....and yes...I think we should all try to help each other along with this issue. My only prob this time of year is that I have severe allergies and I can't go outside to walk. I love to walk on tread mills...but...of course I don't have one. The bad thing is last week or so...with AF visiting...I have been pigging out. I just want to be healthy and the only stomach I want getting in my way is a BABY stomach!!!!! My SIL just had her baby on Monday. 19 years old and not married..living with her mom and so is the baby's daddy who also has another child by another girl.....it's so hard for me to deal with that. I know you all understand how I am feeling. So.....let me know how you all plan to try and get healthier! I would like to either get PG for mother's day or atleast for father's day! I've always thought that would be pretty neat!
Baby dust to all!
Melissa
April 20th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well One of my customers was a little overweight when she got her BFP last year and now when she had the baby she came home from the hospital weighing 11# less that when she got BFP and she was not trying to lose weight. That is what I am going for ....lol

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
April 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Eyes 409@Apr 20 2005, 03:22 PM
Well One of my customers was a little overweight when she got her BFP last year and now when she had the baby she came home from the hospital weighing 11# less that when she got BFP and she was not trying to lose weight. That is what I am going for ....lol
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
Part of me keeps saying....I want my BFP so I have an EXCUSE to be heavier..."it's the baby"!!!

Overall, I'm healthy, but who couldn't stand to lose a pound or two??!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search