Doing insemination with a syringe

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Really if you think of it, injecting the swimmers with a syringe is really no different than the "old fashion way"of getting the swimmers where they need to go.I have did some research and there have been a lot of success stories using the syringe method and also using the softcup method which a few ladies on here have suggested as well. Anything is worth a shot imo if done safely.

Team Pink

February 26th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Definitely try the softcups a couple times on your own first. It can be a little tricky to get in! I can't feel them at all when they're in, and I have a difficult time with wearing tampons, so I'd say they're pretty darn good!

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
February 26th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Muffin, hopefully I can find some if not I will have to order them online for next cycle but hopefully I will not need them.

Team Pink

February 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
My DH has problems finishing... He can go for hours So we have done this a lot. Last cycle I got PG doing this (but also had IUI).
We use the preseed dispensers.
I did use the soft cups but for some reason they make me itch

The soft cups are easy but you def should try them a few times before you use them for real!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

February 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Beth2008's Avatar mommy in the making
Lurking, but we have also used the syringe method. I have read lots of success stories, it's the same statistics as regular intercourse. I also mixed a little preseed in with the sperm. My DH has issues with ejaculating during intercourse as well.

Thank you *Kiliki* for amazing siggy!

May 17th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissadd View Post
Ok this has been weighing on my mind for quite some time, but I can not keep it to myself any longer. My df is not circumcised so last cycle when we were bd ing he got a very small tear in the foreskin and now when he is fully erect and we are doing the bd it is hurting him a bit, so for us to have intercourse everyday is nearly impossible for him because it gets really sore. So I have been surfing the web regarding at home insemination so today he did his thing in a cup and we used a syringe without the needle to put the swimmers where they needed to go, I will be honest I really have No clue if this will work or not, I just do not want to miss my eggie and want every chance I have to catch it so what our plan is, is to BD every other day and use the syringe method in between. Has anyone ever had any success getting pregnant using a syringe?Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. I know I read that after he ejaculates that we should let the sperm sit for 30 mins or so and then other sites say to use it right away,I am just curious to what your thoughts on this subject is.Thanks
Women who have not tried this method may say that there is a risk involved, but I don't think they know what they're talking about if they haven't even tried it. I am 14 weeks 1 day pregnant by using the syringe method. It took 4 months (trying 3 days in a row while ovulating), but my little one is alive and well, and I did not get any infections or have any problems at all. Each time we tried, the semen was in the plastic tupperware cup for 30 to 45 minutes before insertion. I have had 2 miscarriages and an ectopic using the traditional method of getting pregnant, but the syringe method seems to have worked wonderfully. Every time I tried, I pushed the syringe as far up in as I could comfortably, then my husband pushed the plunger on the syringe. The first 3 months, I had an orgasm while inserting the semen. The last month, my husband just inserted it without orgasm and that's when I got pregnant. I layed on my back with pillows under my backside for about 15 minutes after insertion. The semen stayed inside me for 30-40 minutes after I got up before leaking out. I think if there was a risk of infection, I would have had problems (I did it for a total of 11 times). I saw my babys heartbeat on sonogram doppler at 5 weeks 6 days, and have heard the heartbeat(s) twice since then. Don't let someone who has never done this method discourage you from trying. I am so glad I tried it, and ecstatic that it worked!
May 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
pootsiedaisy- I am glad it worked for you BUT I disagree. There is a chance for infection, that isn't speculation its fact. If unwashed semen is forced past the cervix it can cause nasty complication. Caution MUST be used and everyone trying this needs to be aware there is a chance you can have complications.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

May 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM
mom2ariana's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never heard of these before, that is interesting. I always wondered if there was a reason to keep your hips propped up or not to get out of bed. Out method is old fashioned. We DTD right before bed, and I go to sleep immediately after. I don't get out of bed at all until the morning.
May 21st, 2013, 04:53 PM
Regular
Here's my experience with this topic...

I work with a nurse who specialized in infertility (i'm talking about her in a lot of threads today....) and I've spoken with her about this. We too have reasons to use this method and I was really unsure about its efficacy. I had done a lot of research on lesbian couples ttc (I am straight but I needed an alternative to sex that would still allow me to ttc with dh) - the syringe/turkey baster/softcup method is what they tend to go with. We decided to try the softcup method and even as I was doing it, I felt kind of silly - like part of me feels like this is not how you "typically" get pregnant, so how could it work, and the other part of me thinks, why wouldn't this work? I don't know....we did it several times and didn't conceive - I wasn't sure if we were wasting our time, so I decided to talk to the nurse at work. She said there's no reason why it wouldn't be as effective as the traditional method of conceiving. So I guess we will continue to supplement BD with this method until I get my darn BFP!!!
May 21st, 2013, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I honestly have no idea but I would never do it. Sticking something up there could cause more damage then it's worth. Not to mention the bacteria on the syringe, ect...
Doing this at home is a lot more riskier then having it done in a sterile setting.
May 21st, 2013, 05:45 PM
Davis720's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, i'd just like to say, I have never heard of doing the syringe, but I hope it works for you! Just wanted to tell you that I had an ex-fiance who had the same issue: uncircumcised, and sometimes he was very sensitive. It made things hard, and we ttc (without really keeping track of my cycles) for a year with no luck. However, he is currently expecting with his girlfriend now, so I'm happy for him. Just know it is possible! Has he spoken to his dr about the pain?

May 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I spoke to my new OB about using a syringe and she said there is no danger to me using a clean/sterile syringe and that she has had many couples get pregnant using this method.

Team Pink

May 21st, 2013, 09:09 PM
Beth2008's Avatar mommy in the making
I've been doing the syringe method because my dh has issues ejaculating during intercourse. I don't talk about it much but my OB said it's safe as long as you use caution and use a clean sterile syringe each time, as well as a clean sterile cup. I was so worried we would have issues ttc because of the issues, but thankfully we found a way that made it easier on him. But I don't put the syringe as far as I can, I barely put it in, and push the plunger very slow. I have thought about trying the instead cups but my walmart was out of them the last time I went shopping.

Thank you *Kiliki* for amazing siggy!

May 21st, 2013, 09:17 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow this is all new information for me, ha ha! I'm glad you asked the question.

(I have to say though, I have an uncirc'd DH and he is appalled at the problems other uncirc'd men have had on this thread....He has never had issues and loves being uncirc'd....and like it too!)
Danielle.W likes this.

November 29th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissadd View Post
Ok this has been weighing on my mind for quite some time, but I can not keep it to myself any longer. My df is not circumcised so last cycle when we were bd ing he got a very small tear in the foreskin and now when he is fully erect and we are doing the bd it is hurting him a bit, so for us to have intercourse everyday is nearly impossible for him because it gets really sore. So I have been surfing the web regarding at home insemination so today he did his thing in a cup and we used a syringe without the needle to put the swimmers where they needed to go, I will be honest I really have No clue if this will work or not, I just do not want to miss my eggie and want every chance I have to catch it so what our plan is, is to BD every other day and use the syringe method in between. Has anyone ever had any success getting pregnant using a syringe?Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. I know I read that after he ejaculates that we should let the sperm sit for 30 mins or so and then other sites say to use it right away,I am just curious to what your thoughts on this subject is.Thanks
Hi Melissa,

I have been doing some research online about my situation and your thread came up. I suddenly feel like FINALLY I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I felt a bit silly asking someone I knew about it as the situation about my partner having a torn foreskin is quite embarrassing! We have recently started using the syringe method also, as I was so over getting ready for my ovulation period to begin and then something going wrong again with his you know what..

I was just wondering if you have had any success with getting pregnant using this method and if you have any tips..
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou for your time
November 30th, 2013, 04:53 AM
rusticbythesea01's Avatar Steph
Wow, I just learned some good info!
November 30th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Regular
Okay, call me Debbie Downer, but as a nurse, I can't in all good faith and in good conscience advise you to do a at home insemination. Muffin is right, you can cause all sorts of infections, not to mention you can accidently inject a air bubble into your vagina. It simply isn't safe. You should leave that up to the professionals as they have the proper tools/equipment to inseminate a woman safely.

Just please be really careful and talk with your doctor.

My Ovulation Chart
November 30th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay54321 View Post
Hi Melissa,

I have been doing some research online about my situation and your thread came up. I suddenly feel like FINALLY I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I felt a bit silly asking someone I knew about it as the situation about my partner having a torn foreskin is quite embarrassing! We have recently started using the syringe method also, as I was so over getting ready for my ovulation period to begin and then something going wrong again with his you know what..

I was just wondering if you have had any success with getting pregnant using this method and if you have any tips..
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou for your time
I have not had any success yet, I am also a nurse and have spoke with several dr's regarding this issue and as long as you use clean sterile syringe and cup you will be fine. I have been doing this for 11 months and have never had any issues.

Team Pink

November 30th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Drymalla View Post
Okay, call me Debbie Downer, but as a nurse, I can't in all good faith and in good conscience advise you to do a at home insemination. Muffin is right, you can cause all sorts of infections, not to mention you can accidently inject a air bubble into your vagina. It simply isn't safe. You should leave that up to the professionals as they have the proper tools/equipment to inseminate a woman safely.

Just please be really careful and talk with your doctor.
\

I am also a nurse and having been using the syringe method for 11 months without any issues and I have been advise by my OB along with several other Dr's that it is completely safe as long as we are using sterile syringes and cups. And as far as injecting an air bubble into the vagina,I have been told nothing will happen if that occurs. That being said we are not using a needle and injection the sperm directly past the cervix and into the uterus either, we are just inserting a sterile syringe without a needle into the vagina.

It is not everyone who can afford to see a Dr to have a professional do an insemination and I am living proof that if done using sterile syringes and cups it is safe.

Team Pink

November 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
jellybean93's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm pretty neutral in this whole thing, I don't need to do it because we don't have a need to but was just wondering how squirting it with a syringe versus out of a penis makes any difference (Apart from the bacteria on the syringe issue).

It was said above that squirting it straight into the cervix isn't good at all but surely that can happen during sex? I mean DF's penis rubs my cervix (obviously) so I don't see why it couldn't align and squirt straight into my cervix?

And the air bubble thing, sometimes when DF and I are in doggy position he traps air inside me. I usually have to push like I would when peeing while he inserts so as not to trap air inside, then all is fine. How on earth can having air inside your vagina cause an issue?

IDK maybe I am being super daft and seriously misinformed, if that's the case then please inform me lol

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search