Fertility aids for men?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Sweetiepeamama's Avatar Veteran
So with AF on her way, the only thing that makes me feel better is planning for the next cycle I'm planning to start Vitex, and I usually do grapefruit juice and green tea. Is there anything men can take to boost fertility? Vitamins or supplements or anything? DH loves his soy milk, but I've read that soy isn't great for men when you're TTC because it's full of plant estrogen which isn't the best for sperm count or motility or something.

Do you have your partner take anything?

And, as long as you're answering that, do you take anything?
Me (31) + Hubs (31) = One amazing DS (August 2010). Baby #2 Expected January 6th 2014!

February 26th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I would be careful with Vitex, I know a lot of ladies that said they wish they wouldn't have taken it. But that's just a precautionary statement. Its different for everyone and depends on how much and how long you take it.

I started taking a Super B complex to get my cycle more regular. It seems to be helping. I also take my Vit D, cranberry supplements (for UTI's and the Vit C keeps me healthy), and my multi vit. SO take the multi vit which is why I just take that instead of a prenatal. Both the multi vit and Super B has folic acid in it, so I know I am getting enough of that. And since I take that I can make SO take it when I do I know he is getting the good vitamins he needs. Though that's about all I can get him to take.

**Thanks Lucy! Love my V-Day Blinkie**
February 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our ND had DH on a bunch of supplements!

CoQ10
ACES+Zn
Quercus Pedunculata
Tribulus Forte
Folic Acid/B6 injections
Fish Oil

Right now, he is on Clomid, but that's because we have a diagnosed issue (no longer on any of the ones listed above). Our RE also reccomended Coast MFS, but it's pretty costly. (Though the supplements were about the same every month, we decided we wanted something tailored for our specific needs.) Remember too, that any changes you make now won't have an affect on sperm for at least 3 months. These things in general though can have a positive affect on his health from the get-go though, so even if you don't need them, it certainly helps!

As for me, I'm on a PNV, fish oil, folic acid, calcium/vit D, and a probiotic. When we cycle again, I'll be on a whole host of drugs, but those don't really apply to you .

Anything that might affect your hormones should be cleared by your doctor first. Vitex (previously mentioned) can affect you differently depending on when in your cycle you take it. Soy can really affect things as well. High doses of B vitamins can mess you up too! The only other thing I want to note is that if you're drinking green tea (I see you are) is to make sure that you don't take your folic acid (or PNV with folic acid in it) within 4 hours of drinking it, since it can prevent the folic acid from being absorbed properly.

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
February 26th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Sweetiepeamama's Avatar Veteran
Wow, lots of useful info, thanks ladies! I had heard so many good things about Vitex - can you expand a little on the potential drawbacks?
Me (31) + Hubs (31) = One amazing DS (August 2010). Baby #2 Expected January 6th 2014!

February 26th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was told by my ND to take Vitex during my LP to support progesterone production. It worked to lengthen my LP, but if I were to take it during my FP, then it might affect the development of potential follicles. Since it can affect your hormones, I'd only take it if (and when) my doctor told me to. A ND would be able to tell you which ones would work best for your particular concerns. You can check your insurance to see if they might be covered if that's a concern . Mine covers $230/year!

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
February 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know that some ladies said that after they took it messed up their cycles worse. But other than that I don't know much about it.

**Thanks Lucy! Love my V-Day Blinkie**

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search