Opks??

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blakesgirl09

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Regular
Ok so I am new to this & just had a few questions about opks? First question (not trying to sound stupid) do you use them ? Okay second question is there any certain brand or will the elcheapos work just fine such as $ store? Third question when using them when during your cycle do you start? & when is it going to show positive? Actual ovulation day or ...? & once positive do you Dtd when it shows only positive for you to have better chances of concieving? I don't use opks yet but in the next few months if no luck we may try? Just typical me planning ahead lol thank you in advance!

Ehh the word "how" was supposed to be in the first question. Sorry!!
March 19th, 2013, 01:28 PM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The cheapies work just fine. I get mine online for super cheap and you just pee in a cup and dip the strip and wait a few minutes and the test line has to be as dark or darker than the control line to be positive. When I order, I get like 50 at a time so I generally start testing around CD6 or CD7. Some ladies don't start testing until later in their cycle depending on when they normally O and how long their cycles are. Mine is a 28-29 day cycle and I normally O around CD15 or so but I like to see a progression and since they are so cheap, I don't feel guilty for doing so. Normally an OPK will show positive 12-36 hours prior to acutal ovulation. This cycle we started BDing every other day the week before O and once I got my + OPK, we have BDd every single day just to be safe (I think I O'd yesterday).

Hope this helps!!! I can't remember, did you say you were temping as well?? OPK's only tell you that you have surged or are surging, they don't actually confirm ovulation. This can only be confirmed by temping. A lot of women surge several times throughout their cycle but never actually ovulate. So it's really best to use OPK's in conjunction with temping and charting.

March 19th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Veteran
where do you get a basal body themometer (sorry i think thats what its called)
March 19th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I got mine at Walgreens but I think any drugstore carries them. They will be near the HPT's and OPK's.

March 19th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Veteran
Thanks blakesgirl
March 19th, 2013, 01:56 PM

March 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Regular
No,I'm not temping I'm still new to the ttc world but I've heard a lot about the temping & bbt thermometer so that I may check out later on!
March 19th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Beth2008's Avatar mommy in the making
Dollar opks work just as well for me, I've actually used $ tree tests a lot and had good results with them. But you are cheaper to order online, amazon has good deals.

Thank you *Kiliki* for amazing siggy!

March 19th, 2013, 04:52 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My favorite cheap ovulation tests are the wondfo. My favorite name brand tests are Clear blue easy digital. If you have trouble figuring out the line tests I highly recommend these. You can get them about 1/2 the price on ebay.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

March 19th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Greek1128's Avatar Veteran
Once you get into the habit, you will LOVE temping... give you so much information. Oh, and get used to Peeing on sticks all the time! Its the norm. I use the wondfro OPKs off the internet. Super cheap, so you can test a couple times a day during your entire cycle if need be! Also, make sure the test is AS DARK AS or DARKER than the strip. It says so in the instructions and its true!!

My Ovulation Chart
March 19th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Regular
Thank you,helpful information! My s.o & myself are just now really "trying"! We have Dtd & haven't prevented but I am pretty sure this cycle for me is just norm & Aunt Flo will be here tomorrow naturally! I am not bummed though because I'm going to use this time wisely to educate myself a little more!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search