CHEMICAL PREGNANCIES....? If it doesn't implant then???

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By bella88
  • 2 Post By mommamindy
  • 1 Post By WorkerBeeMama
  • 3 Post By captivate

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2013, 09:07 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If a chemical pregnancy is when fertilization takes place but the egg doesn't implant than how is it sometimes picked up on a HPT? I thought HCG wasn't produced until the egg implants.....

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
March 31st, 2013, 09:17 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think a chemical pregnancy is when the egg starts to implant but doesn't implant fully and you start bleeding usually around when AF would be due. Hence why sometimes you can get the positive on the test and also why they are usually only very faint positives before they go negative.
mom2pne and mommamindy like this.

March 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM
Beautiful Life!
Glad you asked this, as I've always wondered the same thing!
jeweluv and WaitinginNJ like this.

April 1st, 2013, 12:37 AM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I can only go by my one cycle that resulted in a chemical. I had a faint at 10 DPO then a blaring at 11DPO. I had numerous FRERs and 1 digi confirm for me. Around 15-16DPO my lines started getting lighter... and I panicked went in for a beta and my numbers were only 12... one week later it was back to 0 which confirmed an early loss. My doctor would prolly have classified it as a miscarriage BUT due to the fact I never fully started bleeding on my own she deemed it a chemical. I had to have a progestrone shot to jump start the I am not sure how every doctor sees it or if her classification was fully true BUT it is what it is....She told me with full miscarriage there is alot of bleeding and some clots that will flush out.

I hope this helps...

April 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my chemical I had a faint positive on 10 dpo and by 12 dpo it was an obvious bfp. Then on 13 dpo it started looking lighter than 12 dpo, etc. i started bleeding on 15 dpo

I hate the word chemical, because I feel like it negates the mothers experience and makes her feel less pregnant and like the loss is less of a loss.

For me, when I had my chemical, I had an annovulatory cycle the month before and then a really early ovulation for that cycle. Or it might have just been weird spotting and I never had a "period" and just had really late ovulation that cycle.

I had tried deep acupuncture and Chinese herbs (which I ended up allergic to and had to stop taking). I think my chemical was because my lining was all messed up and too thin or something. Otherwise I would have had a later miscarriage (I have progesterone issues and later found out I need progesterone to maintain a pregnancy during the first trimester). Two cycles before that I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks and 1 day and my cycle had been relatively normal for me then, so I think my lining was thicker.

Anyway, I am currently 13 weeks pregnant (tomorrow) and all is well (after three total losses).
jeweluv likes this.
April 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
I have had 4 chemicals in the past and they have all been before 6 weeks.

Mine was due to a progestrone problem.

You need progesterone to tell your body its pregnant and to shut down the immune system so the full implantation and division can take place.

If your progesterone is low then it will expel the pregnancy... if it is genetically bad then it will expel the pregnancy due to mother nature doing its job even if you have awesome progesterone levels.

If you have repeat chemicals then you do need to get your levels checked.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

April 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
Tiggerlb's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella88 View Post
I think a chemical pregnancy is when the egg starts to implant but doesn't implant fully and you start bleeding usually around when AF would be due. Hence why sometimes you can get the positive on the test and also why they are usually only very faint positives before they go negative.
I have to agree with this with my chemical I got a faint bfp at like 10 dpo then it never got darker only lightened and only put af 1 day late. I call a chemical a line that never goes past faint then starts to disapear. I call it a mc when you get a bfp light in the start then gets darker then starts to lighten again then is a bfn by the end of it and af arrives. And any pg according to my doc is a mc if you have to have help from your doc to expel the products of conception no matter how high the hcg level went.

April 2nd, 2013, 12:35 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I think a lot of early miscarriages are just called chemicals because they end before 5-6 weeks. I really hate the term because it makes it sound like it wasn't really a pregnancy. 3 of my losses were all right around 5 weeks and classified as chemicals. I confirmed all 3 with blood tests that showed the levels were there and going down. I was just told that implantation started to take place but wasn't successful. Just in case you're interested, here is what one of my chemical progressions looked like. 16 DPO was the darkest I got and there was only the slightest darkening over the course of tests. They slowly got lighter and lighter after 16 dpo. Wish I had taken pictures of the whole cycle of tests, but it was too depressing.

This was another chemical that I had a few months later. Never got really dark lines with this one:

And since I've just brought the whole mood down a notch with those depressing progressions, here's a happy one!

Last edited by Leanne78; April 2nd, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
April 2nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran
I had my chemical in August of last year. I was told it was just too soon as well technically it wasn't a miscarriage since it didn't fully implant. But still felt just as hard one day you think you are pregnant and the next few you aren't. Not a good feeling!

Good luck to you!!
April 2nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
WaitinginNJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good Question! I have always wondered the answer myself.

April 2nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had one chemical never knew they existed before as didn't test early got 2 lines that morning and started bleeding that night it was horrible I was so upset about 5 months later I got pregnant and I'm due in 5 wks never saw a doctor so I don't know why the first pregnancy didn't stick but its not any easier x

April 13th, 2013, 04:49 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I have had three chemicals and one late first trimester miscarriage. My tests never got very dark with my three chemicals, but even with my miscarriage two weeks ago, the tests seemed to take forever to darken up. When they did, they were super dark, but it got to the point that I had to stop taking progression tests/pics for my own sanity.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
April 13th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Super Mommy
I had a chemical last Jan. Doctors here on mil. base acted like I was crazy and told me I wasn't pregnant. Even though there was some hormones in a beta, the hormones weren't high enough to be considered "pregnant" I asked them how the hormones are created if I wasn't pregnant and they told me "You have to have implanted an egg to create the hormones but even though you have hormones because you have less than 50 you aren't pregnant" I started bleeding two days later, but I even had a digital say "pregnant".

If I get pregnant again while we're at this duty station I'm not going in until I have a blaring pregnancy test or the puking begins.
April 14th, 2013, 07:59 AM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a chemical pregnancy in March 2011. On the 2nd I got a faint + hpt so I called my OB and got a blood test that came back + as well. The next day I felt off and bought $ store hpt's as I used up my FRERs and they came back -. called my OB again and got a beta done on the 4th of March and it was 3.6. the next day I started bleeding. I was 17 dpo.
April 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Lurking

Don't forget ladies.. as soon as we see those 2 lines. We are mothers and we have planned their whole lives over a matter of hours. It doesnt matter when we lose our babies. Its devestating.
bella88, Leanne78 and mommyTTC3 like this.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

April 15th, 2013, 06:25 AM
mommyTTC3's Avatar Proud mom of 3 !! <3
I hate the term Chemical pregnancy .... It is an early loss and a loss that many woman grieve for this loss .

I had a early loss the cycle before I conceived my son . That pregnancy was real and I grieved for that baby even if I only knew I was pregnant for 2 days .

My understanding of what an early loss (chemical) is by what my Dr explained is the fertilized egg starts and sometimes fully implants but just doesn't continue to grow . A lot of chemical pregnancies go without the mom ever knowing .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search