OT...church?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By cutenurse24
  • 1 Post By Orangebrittainy
  • 1 Post By left_field

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
Ready for #1
Dh and I have been feeling the need lately to find a church. The only problem is we have no idea where to start.

When I was very young my family took me. I don't really remember a lot from wag back then. I just know I was raised Catholic, but I don't think I want to continue with that. I only remember my mom going for my baptism and my 1st communion. The Catholic religion is just too proper and strict for me. (Please don't take offense. It wasn't meant in a bad way.)

My MIL changed denomination all throughout dh's childhood, so he's not real sure which wah to go either.

Now that we are trying for a family, we want to find somewhere to attend so our children can grow up in place that we love. And also learn the values we did as children.

I just don't know where to start. Can you change the religion you want to be? How do you know what's right for you? So many questions!!!!!

April 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly we tried out several churches and denominations until we finally found the one that fit us best. We happen to go to a large baptist church and love it. We feel like we are being fed both in Sunday School and during church service. Honestly when we walked in the doors, it just felt like home and the people in our Sunday School class felt like family. Since we do go to such a large church, it was very important to get plugged in with a Sunday School class. So I would definitely "shop around" until you feel called to a church. (DH and I both went to various churches: methodist, evangelical, mennonite, and baptist.)

April 2nd, 2013, 09:16 PM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH and I are both Catholic, but when we were engaged weren't parishioners anywhere. I started by looking on some church websites to get more info, and I think that was a great place to start... We were able to weed out a few that were definitely too strict for us (I could tell just by the website). We then went to a mass at the church we now belong to and decided it felt right for us. I felt like they didn't judge us when we were signing up (we lived together before we got married, which the Catholic Church obviously frowns upon). I feel that our church, while it is still your traditional Catholic Church, is more forward thinking than some others.

I've been to a Wesleyan church a few times (my brother and sister in law go there). In my experience, that isn't the right religion for me. (No offense to anyone, of course!) I just feel more connected to the Catholic church. But the Wesleyan church has a TON of people that belong there, so it definitely works for a lot of people!

Haha sorry for rambling! I definitely think you can change your religion, you just have to figure out what's right for you and your family. Maybe talk to friends/family that are different religions if you are comfortable with that to see what they say about their religion. Or I'm sure you can just start going to different churches to attend mass and see which one feels right for you.

Good luck with your search!
April 2nd, 2013, 09:16 PM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH and I are both Catholic, but when we were engaged weren't parishioners anywhere. I started by looking on some church websites to get more info, and I think that was a great place to start... We were able to weed out a few that were definitely too strict for us (I could tell just by the website). We then went to a mass at the church we now belong to and decided it felt right for us. I felt like they didn't judge us when we were signing up (we lived together before we got married, which the Catholic Church obviously frowns upon). I feel that our church, while it is still your traditional Catholic Church, is more forward thinking than some others.

I've been to a Wesleyan church a few times (my brother and sister in law go there). In my experience, that isn't the right religion for me. (No offense to anyone, of course!) I just feel more connected to the Catholic church. But the Wesleyan church has a TON of people that belong there, so it definitely works for a lot of people!

Haha sorry for rambling! I definitely think you can change your religion, you just have to figure out what's right for you and your family. Maybe talk to friends/family that are different religions if you are comfortable with that to see what they say about their religion. Or I'm sure you can just start going to different churches to attend mass and see which one feels right for you.

Good luck with your search!
April 3rd, 2013, 04:40 AM
Pray, then pray some more
I would check out some churches around you and see if they have a website with some sermons posted on them. You can listen to them and kinda get a feel for what kind of church it is before you go. Good luck, it's not easy to find the right church.

My Ovulation Chart

Rae

April 3rd, 2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopingforonemore View Post
I would check out some churches around you and see if they have a website with some sermons posted on them. You can listen to them and kinda get a feel for what kind of church it is before you go. Good luck, it's not easy to find the right church.
I definitely agree that finding the right church can be very difficult. And at times you wonder if you are ever going to find the right church. I do agree that you should be able to listen to some of the sermon's online and get a feel for the church that way. But I highly encourage you to just try out churches so you can really meet some of the people.

April 3rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
First it is ok to visit other denominations... I would start in your local paper, often times Churches will put events/invites/ special services in there. Start by going to the events and get a feel for the people, then you may want to visit them for services. If you feel welcome and it feels right sit down and talk to the pastor about what that church/doctrine believes and why.
cutenurse24 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

April 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran
I WOULD PRAY FOR THE LORD TO SEND YOU TO THE RIGHT CHURCH THE LORD KNOWS ALL WHO BETTER TO ASK
April 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
dlammers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH is catholic and I am methodist...so just to be fair to both of us we decided to just try out a church here the is called First Christian. It's non-denominational. We really like it. We haven't been going recently though. I guess I feel that I don't need to go to church every sunday to show that I believe...just as long as I have that in my heart.

April 3rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Ready for #1
UHG!!! I just had a HUGE reply I was trying to squeak in before I go to bed, I hit 1 button and it was.....GONE!!! I'm so irritated, I think I'll go to bed and try this again tomorrow.

Thank you all for your advice and support, gooooood night

April 3rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
Super Mommy to be
You definitely need to pray for God's direction to the right church for you. A church that teaches what is actually scriptural and not what the world wants to hear nor a church that sugar coats the truth because they want a big congregation or is trying to win a popularity contest.

Visit a few and pray for guidance.
cutenurse24 likes this.
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search