This has nothing to do with TTC, just need some opinions from parents....

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Super Mommy
What do you think when the family you work for hardly ever cooks or has food for the kids.

I understand some people just don't like to cook much and that's fine. But when your kids stay home with a nanny 5 days a week, wouldn't you as a parent cook a little something for the kids to have or at least have sandwich stuff or something instead of all junk(hot dogs , pizza, pasta)
Just curious what others think.
April 19th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In a case like that, I generally assume that the people aren't very aware of the nutritional value (or lack thereof) in highly processed foods. I, personally would like,to have a whole host of nutritious foods available for my kids but the reality is that sometime, you need to grab a convenience food,and go with it.

That being said I babysat a friends toddler yesterday... Her mom packed Froot Loops as a snack food and those little round crackers smushed together with dried cheese that never goes bad. I was pretty horrified because it just seems so much easier to find whole snack foods but everyone is free to make their own choices in the end.
Lucy S. likes this.
April 19th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Super Mommy
There very aware what they feed the kids or lack of cooking.
The parents say sorry all the time about it but don't do anything to fix it. Just bugs me.
April 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I'll admit it happens a lot here. It's cheap and its easy and frankly I don't know how to cook. I can follow a recipe so I can bake somethings. But I don't know how to cook and usually ends in a miserable failure with a waste of food and time and we end up throwing in chicken nuggets or something. I wish I had a grandmother close to teach me how as my mom doesn't really "cook" either and she is in a different state too. We are in need of eating less processed and we are aware that is the case. I just honestly don't know how to go about it on the same food budget. To eat non-processed always seems to cost more though I am not sure if it really does or not.
Angelgirl30 likes this.
April 19th, 2013, 02:45 PM
babydreams0809's Avatar Veteran
If you feel comfortable asking, maybe you could talk to the family about the possibility of them leaving you some grocery money and you can go out and get some healthy and nutritious food for the kids for the week. If they worry about what you would buy, you could bring some food stuffs with you the next time you go, show it to them and then let them make the choice.
April 19th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
^ That is a fantastic idea I think!
if I had a nanny at my home 5 days a week I would ask them to cook but thats me.
*sigh* now I can day dream
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 19th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
Unfortunately hot dogs , pizza, pasta is what more and more people are eating these days. I wouldn't be worried. For me its a matter of cost. DH really won't eat a lot of healthy fresh foods. He isn't opposed to them, but just doesn't really eat them. Neither does DS. DH also doesn't eat left overs. Consequently a lot of food gets thrown out around here. There was a time when I had about 200 dollars a month to spend on groceries for 3 people. I know for a fact that I can by an unhealthy meal for 3 a lot cheaper than I can a fresh healthy meal.
Angelgirl30 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

April 19th, 2013, 07:30 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If they can afford a nanny 5 days a week, they should be able to afford better meals. Unfortunately, this is more common than uncommon. I would offer to grocery shop, like the other posted said. It could be a matter of lack of time. If they are both in high position careers that could be the case. They might be embarrassed to ask you to cook as you were hired in as a nanny only.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
April 19th, 2013, 11:02 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would personally stay out of it. My mom was cleaning house for a well off family with 3 kids. Both parents had very good jobs and always busy. In fact too busy to disapline their children or even pay much attention to them. So instead the parents would always give in to what the kids wanted and buy them a ton of toys instead of parenting them. Well the kids where very rude and disrespectful and my mom said something one day to the mother and the mother got very mad at her and nearly cost my mom the job. Now I know you may think why work for someone like that... but at 2 days of work a week there earning almost $700 a week you put up that kind of thing. Maybe its not the optimum way to care for children and not how you would do it and that is fine to think that way but I would definatly not say anything.

If you feel like there is not enough food for the kids to eat while you are working there you could mention that you need more food and give some sugestions of what you think they would like or need. But as far as when your not around there is not much you can do about how they parent their children.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

April 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
Super Mommy
They have time to food shop. They just are very OCD about it and buy the exact same things every time. I would cook meals for lunches and wouldn't mind but there is not much food to cook with. I do stay out of it and shouldn't let it bother me that much. All I can do is just deal with it or quit. That's not all that bothers me with the parents. There very lazy with cleaning, cooking , etc. You can at times wipe the floor with a white wet towel and the towel will be black. Floors get cleaned about once a month if that unless I do it (which isn't required of me). I do it for the kids, so they have clean floors to play on. They even tell me when the floor is dirty.
April 22nd, 2013, 05:20 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Ehhh that could be a touchy thing. I have a "friend" who saw my status on FB about not feeling like cooking tonight one night, and she wrote to me, "i wish you lived closer, I would cook for your family. I feel like you never cook and I always cook."
I was offended bc I do cook most nights once a week we usually get something delivered.

BUT these people sound lazy. . . they don't even clean their floors? blegh. But you work in their home I agree, suggest some food choices!

April 22nd, 2013, 05:36 AM
Super Mommy
I'm not gonna suggest anything by there grown adults who are very aware how they eat and what they serve to there kids. Ill just keep making sure the kids get at least 1 serving of fruit and veggies a day.
They have hard wood floors. Those need to be cleaned weekly if you ask me and swept daily(which I do). I'm gonna try my best and not mop this week or vacuum and see if they do it.
April 22nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
Super Mommy
Just to add that. I think there starting to be to dependent on me. So like I said I'm gonna back off this week. Only gonna sweep after meals and if we track in stuff from outside and only do mine and the kids dishes. Will see. I'm way to nice and families often come dependent on me to much.
April 22nd, 2013, 12:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I must say I wish my nanny thought more like you. I cook all the time, and tell her when there are leftovers or other things in the fridge, and she still ends up making the chicken nuggets, or canned ravioli that I buy since DS likes them. Thankfully she is only with us 3 days a week so I know most days he eats better.

April 22nd, 2013, 12:50 PM
Super Mommy
I only like making or buying junk for treats (having a good well behaved week). I'd rather feed the sandwiches , baked chicken, veggies , fruit, stuff like that or whatever left overs they have.
The mom has cooked maybe 4 times in the past month and a half.
Last week was redicilous. There diet was Wendy's, McDonald's, pizza, hot dogs, tacos(not that bad for ya ) and pb&js. They had junk with me twice only because there was hardly any food, but I added either a veggie or fruit to it.
By the way I never got a thank you for going to the store(bought bread, milk and fruit)I did get paid back and way more then I spent.

I have started looking for a new nanny job. : / I just can't find a family that can afford me : /. Ill take a little less then what I make now, but not much.

Last edited by Sarah_K; April 22nd, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
April 22nd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHIC1183 View Post
I'll admit it happens a lot here. It's cheap and its easy and frankly I don't know how to cook. I can follow a recipe so I can bake somethings. But I don't know how to cook and usually ends in a miserable failure with a waste of food and time and we end up throwing in chicken nuggets or something. I wish I had a grandmother close to teach me how as my mom doesn't really "cook" either and she is in a different state too. We are in need of eating less processed and we are aware that is the case. I just honestly don't know how to go about it on the same food budget. To eat non-processed always seems to cost more though I am not sure if it really does or not.
You would be surprised that you can get healthy non-processed foods and save sometimes. When it comes to cooking and eating healthy, I do meal plans. That way I make sure our meals are balanced and healthy. That way I also have everything on hand that I need to make those meals for 2 wks.
Sarah_K likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 05:44 AM
Super Mommy
Cute nurse- I do the same. I plan out meals weekly and balance them out. At home we never cool beef. It's chicken, pork chops or ground turkey. Always have fruit and veggies at home. It can be done even if you don't know how to cook. Find simple recipes.
April 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is an awful situation! I know with my oldest he is the pickiest eater and has been since he was little and I still can't get him to eat as healthy as he should. So when he was younger it was a lot of chicken nuggets, fries, mac and cheese, and cans of chef boyardee. Now he will eat carrots, roasts, potatoes, corn and he loves homemade sloppy joes as long as it doesn't have celery.
April 23rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
Super Mommy
These kids will eat the healthy foods. They like it. There just not served it much by the parents. I'm just at wits ends here and not just about the food. Thanks to everyone for positive comments.
Looking daily for a new job. Blah.
April 23rd, 2013, 07:01 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You'd be surprised how many times a mother can clean a floor in a week or even a day and all it takes is one person to walk through and your now "perfectly clean floor" is ruined. Using a white towel on the floor, you're asking for the towel to be ruined anyway. With hardwood floors, dirt gets trapped in the wood itself and inbetween the grooves. Having three children running around my house and in and out, I can't tell you how many times I have to clean my floor spotless and you STILL can't run a white towel over it without picking up something. I'll tell you this too, in 20 years, my children won't be remembering how many times Momma cleaned the floor, they'll be remembering how many times we ran, danced, laughed and played together. Sometimes, there are more important things in life than a spotless house, especially when you have a little gang of children :0)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search