Omg!!! Whole blood instead of urine...

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree81Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2013, 10:30 PM
HarleeQuinn's Avatar Regular
Well here is an update.... Quantitive hcg is 24 so I am indeed pregnant!!! The doctor said in a way to explain it better to you ladies- "hcg will always be higher in your blood serum than urine. Due to the fact that urine is overflow of hcg in the body. So you will find that your hpt turns positive sooner with blood than urine. And to those that think the pregnancy test knows the difference if you use blood or urine, it doesn't. It just binds with hcg, regardless of the vessel."

Harlee mom to three beautiful children!

D-9yrs
M-7yrs
F-5yrs

step-mom to DC-9

Engaged to William 7/1/2010
June 20th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Congrats to you! Really only 7 to 8dpo? I think i hate you!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

June 20th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have heard of this as well. Congrats on your pregnancy!
HarleeQuinn likes this.

Rachel-29 DH-28 DD1-4 DD2-2
June 20th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so freaking happy for you!! I want a 7/8 DPO !!
HarleeQuinn likes this.

June 20th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Lucy, to be honest? I had SIX bfp ovulation tests in a row! I have no true idea which one i O'ed on. I posted about that a few days ago.. I was sooooo confused!!! That never happened to me before lol!!

And thank you everyone for your support. I've been feeling really off today, very dizzy, spacey, and out of it. I thought I'd be much more ecstatic than I am. But I actually find myself more worried than anything.. If that makes any sense. Sorry for being cranky and sounding ungrateful. I'm just notttt myself! Although I do have to admit to a small bounce in my steps

D-9yrs
M-7yrs
F-5yrs

step-mom to DC-9

June 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is completely normal with pregnancy, momma Do not ever feel bad for the way you feel in YOUR pregnancy I am so so so happy for you!! Do you know your EDD?! I am thinking MARCH right?!!!!!

June 20th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Renee360 Send a message via Yahoo to Renee360
Congrats on getting your BFP and getting validated by your Dr!

Maybe next week I'll try using my blood on my Osom. Although it looks a little messy.

HH9M!
HarleeQuinn likes this.

[/URL]Renee
June 20th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Oh no try not to stress! it's a good beta! Are you going to get a beta again or no?
HarleeQuinn likes this.
June 20th, 2013, 11:58 PM
2014 Offshoremama78's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HarleeQuinn likes this.

My Ovulation Chart

Soy Iso Believer
ACM conceived with Soy Iso On 07/04/13
Currently (10/2014) TTC With SI, SMEP, BBT, CM, CP, and OPK

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
June 21st, 2013, 04:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! Can you tell me exactly how you did this test ? I have type I diabetes so it's not a big deal for me to take some blood with my lancet...just wondering how it should be done.
*Leah* and HarleeQuinn like this.

June 21st, 2013, 05:45 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Congrats!
HarleeQuinn likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
June 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
on your bfp. But I must say I had never heard of using blood instead of urine on an hpt, but when I stopped and thought about it it does make sense.I learn new things on this board everyday thanks to you ladies!!
HarleeQuinn likes this.

Team Pink

June 21st, 2013, 06:45 AM
Tiggerlb's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Princess View Post
Yeah there was a woman I think in the FEB DDC that just did this She put 6 drops of her blood and mixed it with 1/2 cup of water and got some bright s

HCG shows up in the blood WAY before it shows up in the urine so good luck with your beta test tonight

In any case it is a unique approach There sas a woman who did this back in JAN/FEB who was indeed pregnant in the SEPT DDC

KUP

Yep this was me lol. I used 1 1/2 teaspoon of water and 6 drops of blood. I only tried it since I seen people from count down pg doing it (and I accenditly poked my finger with a knife tip loading the dish washer lol). I wanted to test the theory of it like the opk as hpt. Some opk's register the pg and some do not. My lines on the blood ones are no way near as dark as the urine ones. So I think it only really works once your levels get so high. And is not as reliable as dipping in urine alone.
Gamer_Princess likes this.

June 21st, 2013, 06:47 AM
Okay, first I'm going to say- I suck at message boards! Lol! I'm going to try and answer everyone in this post.. If I forgot something.. Ask again and I won't be offended! Lol
I have a history of miscarriages and a late miscarriage with my very first pregnancy so I will DEFINATELY get another beta.
The steps you take for the blood test is. Get a small container, like the size of an eyeliner pencil top. Add about 6 drops of blood and let it sit for 10 minutes or until you see a large clot. The clot is what you do not want as part of the test and you can remove it. Once the clot (<~ happy I proofread that word!!!) is removed add two drops of water/saline. Then either dip your strip till it reaches control line, or use your eye dropper and drop required amount of blood (if it calls for 4 drops of urine, use 4 drops) and then voila! If pg you should see a lines
I used my lancet to my glucometer to poke my pinky (pinkies bleed well on me!)
Thank you all very much for the good vibes and wishes!
Renee360 likes this.

D-9yrs
M-7yrs
F-5yrs

step-mom to DC-9

June 21st, 2013, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! I think I'm going to try this!

And for all you skeptics I found this:

Substituting whole blood for urine in a bedside ... [J Emerg Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

In this study using blood was found to be as accurate or even more accurate than urine in "rapid human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) immunoassays"
HarleeQuinn likes this.

June 21st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Tiggerlb's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleeQuinn View Post
Okay, first I'm going to say- I suck at message boards! Lol! I'm going to try and answer everyone in this post.. If I forgot something.. Ask again and I won't be offended! Lol
I have a history of miscarriages and a late miscarriage with my very first pregnancy so I will DEFINATELY get another beta.
The steps you take for the blood test is. Get a small container, like the size of an eyeliner pencil top. Add about 6 drops of blood and let it sit for 10 minutes or until you see a large clot. The clot is what you do not want as part of the test and you can remove it. Once the clot (<~ happy I proofread that word!!!) is removed add two drops of water/saline. Then either dip your strip till it reaches control line, or use your eye dropper and drop required amount of blood (if it calls for 4 drops of urine, use 4 drops) and then voila! If pg you should see a lines
I used my lancet to my glucometer to poke my pinky (pinkies bleed well on me!)
Thank you all very much for the good vibes and wishes!
The problem with this is it is to thick still to move across the test strips (First try it got stuck in moving across So added more water to thin it so it would move across fully) Same blood as the first try
so added tiny water and used new tests. It probally works great with tests that are for both Urine and serum.
HarleeQuinn likes this.

Last edited by Tiggerlb; June 21st, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
June 21st, 2013, 07:29 AM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!!
HarleeQuinn likes this.
June 21st, 2013, 09:06 AM
Super Mommy
Congrats! I've heard of using blood. Very interesting!
HarleeQuinn likes this.
Cycle #20, 2nd cycle on clomid
June 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
HarleeQuinn likes this.

My Ovulation Chart
June 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks so much ladies I do have to say I am more cheerful today after having beautiful dreams! 3 days out of the week my nights are days and days are nights, exhausting! I'm sure there is someone on here just as crazy as me with these hours! Did anyone go through these type of hours while pg??? I don't know if I can do it! I was so clumsy this afternoon, I dropped an iron horse my daughter won in her horse riding competition right on my foot and its so swollen! Lol
Btw, the reason I used blood instead of urine- I have kidney disease (they reflux if I don't urinate often) so I can't get an early bfp. I can get them around 8-9 weeks. But I didn't want to wait!

D-9yrs
M-7yrs
F-5yrs

step-mom to DC-9

Last edited by HarleeQuinn; June 21st, 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Missed a few words!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search