Omg!!! Whole blood instead of urine...

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree81Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM
BadWolf's Avatar Veteran
I read an aritcle about testing HPTs with blood not long ago. It definitely works. Congrats Harlee!
Clomid Cycle #1 ~ 50mg ~ ?

I have the loved the stars too fondly
to be fearful of the night.

- Sarah Williams

November 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Realistically a couple of days before you would get a bfp with urine I would think because it goes into the bloodstream first and the excess hcg overflows into urine after it's filtered out of the body?

Excess is probably the wrong word but that's the best one I could come up with lol

November 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Libby22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It could work, cos wouldn't hcg be in the blood first? did you end up pregnant?

af came Nov 22 Fri nz time
December 1st, 2013, 05:24 PM
I know this is an old thread but if anyone is following it...

Does this really work? How about with a Wondfo dip test? I tried it today at 8 dpo. Negative with urine but strong positive when done with a Wondfo using this method. DH is diabetic and I used one of his lancets. I'm extremely skeptical that it is a real bfp.
December 1st, 2013, 05:31 PM
Blood comes up positive for me and I'm pregnant. I tried it ages ago now and then a few weeks ago. Both positive. The test doesn't know if it's urine or not, it just recognises the HCG in the liquid in the test.

December 1st, 2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella88 View Post
Blood comes up positive for me and I'm pregnant. I tried it ages ago now and then a few weeks ago. Both positive. The test doesn't know if it's urine or not, it just recognises the HCG in the liquid in the test.
Thanks! Interesting. I tried it twice today. My first try, I didn't let it sit and separate. Just added a little water and used it on a First Signal and a Wondfo. Both BFN. Tried it a second time, lettin it sit and clot, mixed with a few drops of water, removed the clot, and dipped a Wondfo. BFP within 3 minutes.

Still not sure I can believe it but I guess I'll know in a few more days.
December 1st, 2013, 09:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is very interesting. I learn something new everyday here! even though it's an old post

December 2nd, 2013, 06:34 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
im thinking about trying this, but im worried ill do it wrong... and how would i know? if you were to dip a test into straight water, would the control line register?
December 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
I followed the instructions listed earlier in the thread. Stumbled on the thread by googling a variation of serum on hpt (can't remember exactly). Even ran across you tube videos on this method. Was trying to find info on how the osom combo tests work, how to do it, etc and came across this thread. Was thinking of ordering those for next month. Thought I'd try it when dh was checking his sugar (helps that I am an easy bleeder).

Still doubting the result. Just tested BFN on FRER. Still BFN on Wondfo using urine. Granted, I'm just 9 dpo so still early. I did go on to try the mixture on an opk and another first signal. opk barely had a line and the first signal was still BFN, so I don't think it's just the blood itself binding to the test strip to trigger a BFP. If it were, both the opk and the first signal should have been blaring too. I did an opk in urine and it was actually close to positive. Way darker than the one using blood. Don't know how the sensitivity of a Wondfo compares with the first signal. Never had a BFP on either one before.

I couldn't convince dh to try it as a control so I'll just keep poasing and waiting to confirm or debunk.

Never dipped straight in water but I think a control line would still show up.
December 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Control line shows up in water . I've done it to check a line was actuslly a line lol. I've never done the whole separating the blood stuff but I've never used enough blood to do that probably. Just blood and a little bit of water, only just enough so that the blood actually makes its way up the stick. Sure goes a funny colour though!

December 2nd, 2013, 02:54 PM
thanks, bella, that's what i was worried about. i think id rather wait a few extra days then.
December 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
The control line should show, that way you know the test is working. What is it that is concerning you?

December 2nd, 2013, 03:28 PM
Academic Life in Emergency Medicine Trick of the Trade: Urine pregnancy test without urine - Academic Life in Emergency Medicine
aStarIsBorn likes this.

December 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleeQuinn View Post
If you go on countdowntopregnancy you can find me as HarleeQuinn on there new choice was the test I used!

Mom2ariana- in the ER if a woman cannot urinate and we need a rapid test, we use blood on the urine test. Here is an interesting video Whole blood on home pregnancy test - YouTube
That's just bizzare. In our ER if you can't urinate, we either straight cath you or if they have to have a hcg test, they just order a blood test.
December 2nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
well, if i don't add enough water, the test won't develop properly because the blood is too viscous to travel all the way up the strip.

but if i over-dilute, the control line will still show up because the test will work even with straight water. so i will have a negative result, but i'll have no way of knowing if it was my own error because i added too much water, or if i'm actually not pregnant. know what i mean?

it'd be easier, in my case, to just wait an extra few days and use urine, that way i don't introduce any additional variables and waste tests.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search