TTC W/Vitex *UPDATED 7/9/13*

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Moni90
  • 1 Post By Mayleysmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Carrie
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2008 and have used both birth control and metformin to help with regulating cycles, but as soon as I came off of both of them they seem to make the PCOS symptoms even worse. I gained 60 pounds over a few years, AF has been non-existent and the dark areas on my skin seem to be getting worse.

I got married a year ago and DH and I have been TTC since our wedding night. A year later we are still trying and I refuse to go back on metformin. I did not adjust well to it and was sick to my stomach for months. Recently, I was doing research on alternatives and came across the vitex/chaste berry supplement and spent hours looking at different reviews and a few clinical trials. For the most part it seemed like a good option for PCOS sufferers and made me very hopeful.

Last Saturday (6/22), the supplement arrived in the mail and I began taking it. Today, for the first time in over a year, I started cramping and actually feel like AF might be just around the corner. I have never been so excited in my life to bleed between the legs! I even went out tonight and bought feminine products that I have not had to use since before I was married.

We are not getting over-the-top excited yet, but I do feel like something is going on down there.

Has anyone else tried vitex/chaste berry? I would love to hear stories from those who have or who know someone who has.

-------------------------UPDATE 7/5/2013-------------------------------------

So, as stated below in the comments, I came home on the night of the 3rd and was spotting. Well, I woke up the next morning and spotting had stopped. I still had some very mild cramping, but as of the afternoon and evening of the 4th that had gone away also.

It is now the late afternoon of the 5th and I have no spotting or cramping, but some very mild back pain. This could be because I didnt sleep well though. I am feeling a little disappointed as I thought the witch was about to visit, but I am still hopeful.

Last Friday night and Saturday morning (6/28-6/29) was when the cramping initially started and very late Saturday night I went to the store and picked up some feminine products and a pack of OPKs. I took one that night and it showed a faint line, which of course is negative for O. When the cramping started back up on the 3rd, I checked again, but this time the line was even more faint. Yesterday, (afternoon of the 4th) I did one more just to see what the line would look like and I could barely see it at all.

This brings up a question that I need help with since I am new to OPKs and since I have had the witch rear her ugly head yet. Is it possible that the first cramping I felt was actually O and the lines got lighter and lighter as I tested because I was getting farther away from it? I have heard cases with women using Vitex that it made them O in the first week of using it and they ended up with a BFP before they even got AF back and they just assumed the Vitex wasnt working since AF never showed for them, but then they find out a month later that they have a BFP.

Any insight or advice would be great - and not just from ladies taking Vitex either! This is all a bit new to me and I would like to understand it all a little better to help increase our odds.

Thank you!

-------------------------UPDATE 7/9/2013-------------------------------------

Still no AF. I just wish she would show. It would make it easier to figure stuff out.

Anyway, was feeling kind of frisky yesterday and late in the evening I started having some discomfort/mild cramping on the left side of my pelvis and into my lower back. With it being isolated to one side I thought (again) maybe it could be ovulation related. So, right before DH and I DTD, I used an OPK. Nothing. Not even a line dark enough to tell a line was even there. This was the lightest one I have taken yet and still leads me to believe my initial cramping at the end of June was possible ovulation. Every OPK has gotten lighter and lighter the farther away from that initial cramping I have gotten.

I guess I need some Witch Dust or something. I had a horrible migraine yesterday and DH ended up getting me chocolate and pork skins after work because that is all that sounded good. Today, I have no appetite for anything. I am not a chocolate craver by any means - except in the past when AF has been around. Keeping my fingers crossed that she rears her ugly head soon.

I would like to start charting my temps every morning, but I have such an erratic sleep schedule that I am not sure if it would work well for me. Can anyone elaborate further on the process of charting and maybe give some tips or pointers on how to remember to do it each day.

Thank you.

☆ธ.•ฐ*”˜˜”*ฐ•.ธ☆☆ธ.•ฐ*”˜˜”*ฐ•.ธ☆ ☆ธ.•ฐ*”˜˜”*ฐ•.ธ☆ ☆ธ.•ฐ*”˜˜”*ฐ•.ธ☆

Last edited by Seeking Baby Thornburg; July 9th, 2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Update
July 1st, 2013, 07:33 AM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Vitex is very similar to SOY ISO and I have tried it before but that was a LONG TIME ago. I am so happy it is working for you!! Come on so we can get this show on the road

July 1st, 2013, 05:28 PM
Carrie
Well, she still hasn't reared her ugly head and showed yet. I am still having some soreness in my lower back and hips, but not as much cramping. But, I have gone from very little appetite the last few weeks to now wanting to eat every hour. I havent really been moody, but then again, I have been lucky enough that I never really was when AF was near.

I have noticed I have gotten a little more clinging to DH. I really did not want him to go to work today, but that could be because I am not feeling well from a sinus infection anyway.

Overall, I can definitely notice a difference since being on the Vitex. Cant wait for the witch!

July 1st, 2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran
I took vitex in feb and got a POSITIVE in March!!!!! I am now going on five months preggers
July 1st, 2013, 08:24 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Keep us posted please! Good luck!

July 1st, 2013, 11:31 PM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tested!?

July 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Duffy510's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been on Vitex this month. It moved up my ovulation date by a few days and seems to be regulating things quite nicely. I have read that it starts working its magic when you take it for over a month so keep it up and don't get frustrated with it too quickly. Good luck!

July 2nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
LucasMom11's Avatar Veteran
I've been taking Vtiex over a month now...I did make AF come! we've been doing the deed accordingly, so I['m hoping for a BFP but I know it's difficult so soon...I'll be happy if I get AF between this and next week, that would mean I had a regular cycle
Good luck! Keep us posted!
July 2nd, 2013, 11:26 PM
Carrie
I am glad to see some other ladies on here who have tried Vitex and had some success.

Still no witch yet and the cramping and pressure have lightened significantly. I started the Vitex June 22nd, so I know it might take some time to work.

I have heard cases of women ovulating within days to a week after taking the Vitex and almost wonder if that is what was happening when I was cramping the other day. It didnt occur to me at the time that it might be ovulation cramping instead of AF cramping since I have never really been able to tell the difference.

So, DH and I are patiently waiting and continuing to take the Vitex each day. The support here is phenomenal. I am a stay-at-home wife as of recent and with Dh being gone during the day and into the late evening it can sometimes get lonely. I have tried some other forums as well, but WOW, their drama is through the roof!

I like the sense of community here. And, I really like calm. Haha.

I cant wait to continue updating you all on our progression. Aside from the sinus infection I currently have, I am overall feeling better since starting the Vitex and am still holding on to that hope!

Until next time, ladies, keep sharing your Vitex stories. I LOVE hearing them!

July 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Carrie
Just a quick update today.

Was feeling kind of frisky last night, so DH and I had some action and shortly after the cramping in my pelvis started again. I have never really had cramping afterward so this was something different for me.

Woke up this morning and the pressure in my lower back has returned and the mild cramping continues. So, I put on my favorite pair of white panties to bring luck. HAHA. We will see if it works.

July 4th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Carrie
Guess what?! I think the white panties worked!

DH and I went to a BBQ tonight and my cramping had gotten a little worse. So, since I was going over to someone else's house I decided that I would go ahead and wear a pad just in case.

After we left the BBQ we made a quick trip to the store and when I got home I had to go pee so bad that I bolted through the door. As I sat down I looked down and was ecstatic to see that I have started spotting!

I dont know how long it will last or how heavy I will end up being - but something is better than nothing!

This.Is.Awesome.

July 4th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Carrie
Guess what?! I think the white panties worked!

DH and I went to a BBQ tonight and my cramping had gotten a little worse. So, since I was going over to someone else's house I decided that I would go ahead and wear a pad just in case.

After we left the BBQ we made a quick trip to the store and when I got home I had to go pee so bad that I bolted through the door. As I sat down I looked down and was ecstatic to see that I have started spotting!

I dont know how long it will last or how heavy I will end up being - but something is better than nothing!

This.Is.Awesome.

July 5th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Carrie
*bump*

July 5th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Duffy510's Avatar Super Mommy
There's always the slim possibility you ovulated and got preggers, if you've bd'd since taking vitex. Did you notice any secondary signs like increased cervical fluid (mucus?) this week or last? That's another indicator. Only one way to find out for sure - take an hcg test. Good luck!

July 6th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Carrie
Well, we have only BD once since starting the vitex and that was three days after the day I am questioning possible ovulation. But, a slim chance is still a chance, so yes, I had tested on two separate days and got BFN.

As of right now, I am thinking it was possible ovulation and am figuring if that is the case then AF should be making a visit sometime in the next two weeks possibly.

I dont have any tenderness in my breasts, the back pain as all but gone away as well, and I havent noticed much of a change in CM.

I suppose for right now I will just continue taking the Vitex until something glaringly obvious happens and gives me a spot to pinpoint where I am in my cycle or start a new cycle.

July 10th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Carrie
Anyone?

July 10th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Super Mommy
Hi. I just wanted to tell you that I feel for you and completely understand. I too have PCOS and it took DH and I 1 1/2 years to get our daughter. I did a combination of Metformin XR and Clomid. A year and a half ago, I wanted to try to lose some weight in an attempt to get my body to function on its own. I researched endlessly for about a month and decided on the South Beach Diet! In 3 months I had lost 40 pounds and began having regular cycles. I ovulated on my own every month. When we finally decided to try again for a second baby, we conceived on the first try! I swear by the South Beach Diet because NOTHING ever worked for me and lasted(and I didn't even exercise until 2 months in). I think the secret is that it is geared toward a TYPE II Diabetic, which most PCOSers resemble and eventually become! Anyways, I just wanted to share and tell you that I am so excited for you and I wish you the absolute best in your journey!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* For my Beautiful Siggi
July 11th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Carrie
Thank you.

It can be a very frustrating time. I am glad to hear you you and you DH finally found success!

I have changed my diet recently and we gone low-carb. I never consume a lot of caffeine or sugar anyway, so that helps. Biggest downfall is pasta! We have switched to whole-grain pasta when we do have it though.

Thank you for the encouragement. Sometimes that is all a person needs to hear. I have continued with the Vitex and am trying to keep hope that it will help.

July 11th, 2013, 03:37 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Hi Carrie!

I'm Em from the TTC#1 board. Just wanted to let you know about my experience with Vitex so far. I got my IUD removed on 4/8. I started taking Vitex on 6/12 b/c I still had not had a period. 400mg 2x a day seems to be working well for me now.

I ovulated on 6/19 (+opk, lots of ewcm, also temping) - and like you, I had cramping and had some brown spotting for a day or so. Finally I got the mother of all periods on 7/1!!

I don't want to jump the gun b/c with a cycle as long as mine it was bound to end at some point, but the amount of ewcm I had was crazy. I truly think the Vitex helped!

Feel free to PM me.

Tags
pcos , ttc , vitex

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search