TTC after an IUD - what should I know?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 1 Post By inyourhonor
  • 1 Post By mom2ariana
  • 1 Post By girlsofsummer
  • 1 Post By ShazCa

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM
We plan to start TTC in August possibly September. I currently have an IUD. I want to try and keep the IUD as long as possible because we are going to be TTC for a boy in every possible way I can research. lol I am due to restart my cycle tomorrow so July is out. If I remove my IUD in mid July, after ovulation... would I be good to go for August? I don't have mirena, just the copper IUD.

Anyone know specifics? I heard you can get pregnant right away, but I'm wondering what others know. Should I get it removed ASAP and just use condoms for a month to two. Most likely I will not get it removed til after ovulation in July but I would like to TTC during my August cycle, rather than waiting another month. Does the IUD change anything?
July 5th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Welcome to JM - I don't normally post here but I approved your post and figured I'd reply since I use a copper IUD as well.

When I had it removed to start TTC my daughter I was told it could technically happen with the first ovulation, though on average many couples take around 6 cycles to conceive.

There isn't a hormonal "adjustment period" as there would be with the pill or a Mirena.

I got pregnant on the third cycle. Good luck with your TTC journey and I hope you get your boy! You could always have it done at the earliest opportunity and then use condoms until you officially want to start.
ShazCa likes this.

July 5th, 2013, 06:17 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can get pregnant right away or it can take a few months. I had mine removed in early March, we've been trying since April, still not pregnant yet.

It depends on your body really. I've heard people having a better chance after having the copper iud taken out instead of the mirena.
ShazCa likes this.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 5th, 2013, 06:24 AM
mom2ariana's Avatar Super Mommy
You can get pregnant before you even have your first period, or it can take a little while. I had my Mirena removed on April 16th, and this is what my OBGYN told me: My first period could be expected anywhere from 3-4 weeks after removal. Mine started 3 weeks 1 day post removal. She also told me that I could try right away, I didn't have to wait any time at all. We got pregnant on our second cycle trying.

If I were you and you have a set time of when you would like to officially start TTC in the future, I would remove the IUD now, and use condoms. That way you can get any regulating your body may need to do out of the way. Some say they are irregular afterwards. I was totally regular, but it depends on the person.
ShazCa likes this.
July 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Thank you guys! I know I can get pregnant right away but I still worry about the IUD getting in my way. I have absolutely NO good CM and haven't seen egg-white consistency in the past 7 years I have had it. I am pretty regular and since its the copper with no hormones... it should be an easy transition. I do worry about the damage the IUD may do, my cervix and implantation. It's been in there a LONG time. We plan to use boy making techniques so I think I will just take it out as soon as I can, and use condoms til I ovulate in August/September and I have some time to kind of let things heal and relax down there. lol

Thanks! This was my first post! Glad to be back into the TTC game and hoping this time around... its FAST! I TTC for 2 years with my first girl (clomid baby) and my second girl came out of no where right after. Thought I was done with babies til my husband and I thought about adoption 2 years ago, approved, licensed and waiting... but adoption is just taking soooo long. We figured my husband was sterile so we had an SA a few weeks ago and to our amazement, he is fine... now that we know we have options... here we go TTC!
July 5th, 2013, 07:57 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Hi I had to drop in to add my experience.

I had a Mirena IUD for 2 years. I got mine removed on April 8, and finally got my first period on July 1 - and it was the mother of all periods! So it took a lot longer than I expected!

I hope your experience is smoother than mine!
ShazCa likes this.
July 5th, 2013, 08:01 AM
~*Tina*~
i had the copper IUD. i got it taken out at the end of my period in june (so june 14), i ovulated the next week and now im pregnant! if you have been having pretty normal cycles, the IUD and getting it removed should not cause any delay or issues. good luck!

7/12/13 @6w

July 5th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had Mirena 2 times so it's different from your's but with my first removal we conceived on our 2nd cycle and have a healthy baby. Last time I had it removed in February and it took 4 cycles to get this baby. Since your's is non hormonal I have no idea how it works but I would assume it's like mirena and you can get pregnant immediately if you are ovulating normally. I suggest charting BBT just to make sure you are ovulating.
July 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks! I just started to chart again after nearly 9 years. I've ordered my opk's and hpt's researching supplements for both my husband and I, and I think I may try clomid again but we are ready to dtd on ovulation day and use protection on other days. Gosh its been so long, I hope I don't forget how to recognize all the cool stuff on my BBT chart! LOL
July 6th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Update: My IUD is OUT! I can now say I am officially TTC!

Thanks for all the info. I thought about it and I think it was best to get it out asap.
mom2ariana likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search