1st time using an OPK

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Seaweed
  • 1 Post By bella88
  • 1 Post By hopeful_girl55

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran
Well here's my first time using an OPK. It's a dollar store one.

[/URL]

Because my cycles are so wonky (last was 50 days) and because I generally have a much shorter cycle after a long one, I decided to test today. I also had a bit of a twinge on my right side as well as some thicker CM. The line is faint but there so I guess that means try tonight! We dtd last night too but I am going to increase my odds and try tonight too

**Thank you, bokkechick, for my beautiful signature!**

July 29th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Seaweed's Avatar Super Mommy
OPK's are normally recommended for those with more stable cycles. If they are as you say wonky, then the best thing to do is temp and monitor your cm. If you spot changes then try an OPK and if its dark ish, keep checking it every day. Or dodc's advice, if your cycles are wonky the best option is to just do it about 3 times a week throughout the whole cycle as you are guaranteed to not miss your chances that way! Good luck! Do you know how to read an OPK? :-)
bella88 and hopeful_girl55 like this.
July 29th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran
I thought I did...according to the box, it said if there was a 2nd line, even faint, that it was an LH surge. Maybe I'm wrong?

I do know that for the last year, every other month has been exactly 33 or 34 days, after my long cycle. My last cycle was the long one so I figured I am on the shorter one now, which means I would likely O within the next 3 days.

I can't do the temp charts as I don't sleep well at night and I'm up every 2-3 hours. I don't think I'd be mentally awake to keep the temperature chart since you aren't supposed to really move...I figure if we try for 6 months, I will try that method.

July 29th, 2013, 02:58 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's meant to be if the test line is the same colour or darker than the control line then you are surging then. There is some LH in our systems pretty much all the time so some sort of line will usually be there. It could be coming in the next few days though so keep testing. What CD are you on now?
hopeful_girl55 likes this.

July 29th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Seaweed's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes, as bella said the test line should be as dark or darker than the control line to have a positive O test (which will mean you will be Oing in the next 24-36 hours). If you do get a positive OPK, keep testing and Bding every day until it goes back to negative. (and to be fair I would do it the day after O too just in case). With pregnancy tests its different though. With a pregnancy test even the slightest faintest line is enough to make it positive! :-)
July 29th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran
I'm on CD 14. If I am running a 33-34 day cycle, I may O within the next 3-4 days. If it's longer, it could be some time in the 20s before I O. I will test again tomorrow and the next day and see if it gets darker. Thanks for the helpful info ladies! With my first, we were NTNP, so I didn't do any of this...it was all guesswork then. Now that I am attempting to keep track, it seems a LOT harder, LOL.

July 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran
Well, I tested with another OPK again today, same time. The line was even lighter. I hope I didn't miss it...we did nothing this past weekend because one of his friends was staying over. Sunday night was the last time we dtd so if by some slim chance I was o'ing over the weekend, maybe that was the day for it...

I'll take one more tomorrow; if it's still light, then I'm holding off another week or so before testing again. I hate having such stupidly unpredictable cycles. If it was consistently 33-34 days, it wouldn't be so frustrating!!!

July 30th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
to everyone else. And mine OPK's will get a little darker and lighter a couple times in the cycle before the progressively get darker. Once you get a positive OPK you will see the difference. The line when its positive is pretty dark. If you have a 33-34 day cycle, and an average luteal phase of 14 days then you would O on CD 19-20. My LP is around 12-14 days and I usually O CD 15-20 so my cycles range from 24-34 days. It really all depends.
dmarie84 likes this.

**Thanks Lucy! Love my V-Day Blinkie**
July 30th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran
I really have no clue how long my LP is since temp charting would be inaccurate with the amount of times I wake up in the middle of the night. I'm going to guess 14-16, based on when I *believe* I ovulated last cycle. I will check closer to CD 19-22, so maybe by this weekend (today is CD 15).

I feel stupid though for getting all hyped up about that. It even said what you all told me right on the box! Apparently I did not read the directions as closely as I should've

July 30th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It happens lol that's why we are here to help you get all the info you need. I don't temp either because I have a sporadic sleep schedule. So I use OPK's and I can really feel my O pains when its going on. The OPk's give me a bit of extra warning. So if I were, I would guess that I have a 14-16 and look at my average cycle length and figure out around when I should O and start using OPK's a few days before. Do one a day, when they start getting real dark like a for sure bold line but not positive, then I would two times a day till positive. Then one till it goes negative again. And if you have O pains, in my opinion that's all the confirmation I need. Then once you start your period from the day after ovulation to the day before full flow is how long your LP is.

I hope that helps!

**Thanks Lucy! Love my V-Day Blinkie**

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search