BBT question

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jellybean93

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've started to track my bbt but I'm finding it difficult to be consistent with the times. Sometimes I wake up at 5am (my test time is 7am) and I record my temp then because I figure that's better than recording it after 2 hours of sleep. Which would be more accurate? Record at 5am, 2 hours before my normal time, or record at 7am after having only about 2 hours of sleep. I'm not sure I'm going to get very accurate results with this :/

August 5th, 2013, 01:10 PM
jellybean93's Avatar Super Mommy
More accurate at 5am, you need at least 3 consecutive hours of sleep. Is it fairly often that you wake up at 5am? If so, what I suggest is using a temperature adjuster. Keep your original temp written down in the notes section for that day (if you are using FF, not sure if the others have this or not), or keep your temps all original and if you are seeing erratic temps then only try using the temp adjuster. Personally I don't really like using the temp adjuster and usually just leave my original temp there with the time it was taken.

There is also another, perhaps much better idea? Why not change your temping time to 5am everyday. Set an alarm, take the temp and then just go back to sleep until 7am.

My temping time is also 7am and if i feel like catching some extra zzz's on the weekend I still set my alarm for 7 and then just go back to sleep

My Ovulation Chart
August 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto above. My testing time was 6:31am every day, weekends included. Even on days I didn't have to be up at that time, I woke up, took my temp and went back to bed.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
August 5th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran
I wonder...could you just change your testing time to 5? I think that's what another poster above said.

I wish I could chart but I rarely if ever sleep longer than 2 consecutive hours at a time. I always fall right back asleep within 5-10 minutes. Charting would be helpful for my wacky cycles too!

**Thank you, bokkechick, for my beautiful signature!**

August 5th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have considered changing it to 5 but my husband isn't even keen on me taking it at 7am because we don't usually wake till 7:30 Doubt he'd be happy hearing the alarm at 5. I don't always wake earlier than my alarm but it has happened 2-3 times before, which has me worrying about the accuracy of this. I think the waking early has to do with my subconscious...when I know I have to wake early with an alarm to do something, whether it be this bbt stuff or getting up to go to the airport, I often wake up earlier. I'm not used to waking up with an alarm anymore because I don't work outside the house.

August 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
I agree about setting an alarm so you are consistent. Right now, since it's summer and my girls are home, I don't have my normal alarm set for 6am anymore...but 730. Sometimes, when I do wake earlier and I don't think I will fall back asleep quickly, I will take my temp. But I have also found that when I take my temp if I wake up early, and then retemp after I have woken up again...my temps usually are the same.

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
August 6th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
I have considered changing it to 5 but my husband isn't even keen on me taking it at 7am because we don't usually wake till 7:30 Doubt he'd be happy hearing the alarm at 5. I don't always wake earlier than my alarm but it has happened 2-3 times before, which has me worrying about the accuracy of this. I think the waking early has to do with my subconscious...when I know I have to wake early with an alarm to do something, whether it be this bbt stuff or getting up to go to the airport, I often wake up earlier. I'm not used to waking up with an alarm anymore because I don't work outside the house.
Setting an alarm would be my first call, but honestly if it doesn't work for you just take the temp whenever you first wake up, make sure you note on your chart the time and just watch the temps over the weeks, I bet you will find that it really doesn't affect you that much. What will affect it more is trying to take it with too little sleep, or after having gotten up to go to the bathroom, take a drink etc. I've been charting for about 4 years now, most of that time to effectively avoid pregnancy, but also to concieve and although the same time is best, for my body, a few hours difference doesn't affect my charts at all. Good luck!
August 7th, 2013, 12:40 AM
jellybean93's Avatar Super Mommy
2-3 temps taken at a different time shouldn't affect your chart too much. Its more the overall pattern you're looking for. Just make a note of it on your chart
MKnaomi likes this.

My Ovulation Chart
August 7th, 2013, 03:46 AM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly it may be that couple of hours such as between 5 and 7 may not affect your temp much anyways. If it only happens every now and then don't worry about it. I know my temps don't usually change much. As previous posters have said, having at least three hours sleep before counts for a lot. I would just whack them in as is and maybe make a note of it but if it is outside the normal time it will usually just mark them with an open circle anyways.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search