blood test results

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM
maof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to maof2
Well ladies I have finally got the results from by bood work and the test stated I did have a BFP however that the levels were low and that I was in the early stages of a m/c. That now explains why AF (or what I thought was Af) has finally showed up. My question is this since it looks like I am m/c should I wait a cycle before we ttc again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day and lots of baby dust to all

Pat

April 21st, 2005, 11:39 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I am not sure how your doctor can tell you that off of one blood test. Please make sure you get a second set of blood work done. Usually they look at two sets of numbers and compare them to see if they are rising or not before they will tell you it is a m/c. I would insist on another blood draw. Huge hugs to you. I have m/c myself and it is just a hard thing to go through. ((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
April 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
bananna's Avatar Regular
Yes definetyl demand a secondtest to compare. If you are spotting or what not it could be that you have low progesterone.

http://www2.fertilityfriend.com/home/945d2

Shawna
XOXOXO

Have Faith everything happens for a reason.
April 21st, 2005, 12:53 PM
maof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to maof2
I don't think a 2nd test will do any good. I'm not spotting...it's pretty heavy or normal for my af and has been going on for the 2nd day.

Thank you for your concens, pg test wasn't the only thing they we testing, they were also testing my thyroid levels.

April 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
bananna's Avatar Regular
Generally they doa second test to make sure your beta results are going up or down.

Shawna
XOXOXO

April 21st, 2005, 01:02 PM
Beccaboo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Beccaboo
Quote:
Originally posted by austinsmom@Apr 21 2005, 03:32 PM
My question is this since it looks like I am m/c should I wait a cycle before we ttc again?* Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day and lots of baby dust to all

Pat
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I had a m/c on March 1st and the nurse at my doc's office said not to have sex for 6 weeks... I did't listen to her and now I am 7 weeks pregnant again.. and my lil bean is healthy and active... so I suggest that you do what you think you can emotionally handle... I think they just tell you that though because you are more fertile after a m/c then you are at any other time!!

April 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Please please get a second test. My doctor said the same thing to me when I went for my first test. I was pg, but low levels...thought I was m/cing. I even went ahead and got the rhogam injection. But, something in my gut told me it wasn't over yet.

I requested a second blood test, and sure enough...my numbers increased. then I had a third test done...the increased again. Each time they MORE than doubled. All along I was bleeding (like a normal AF)!!!! it was not until over a week later that I passed tissue!

Now, in the end, I did end up m/c'ing, but that may not be the case with you. did they tell you what your levels were at this point? Mine on the first visit were hcg29 and progesterone 2.4.

Please don't give up yet. Make sure your levels are not rising before you give up.

April 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM
bananna's Avatar Regular
Hey Amber you said that you got the shot before finding out. Maybe that is why you miscarried. If your numbers were rising I dont see why you would miscarry

Shawna
XOXOXO

April 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Quote:
Originally posted by bananna@Apr 21 2005, 02:09 PM
Hey Amber you said that you got the shot before finding out. Maybe that is why you miscarried. If your numbers were rising I dont see why you would miscarry*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I think my numbers were rising, but progesterone was too low to support the pregnancy. The rhogam injection was given because we wouldn't get my husband's blood test back in time (to find out if he was RH + or -). It turns out we are both typed negative. I DID ask that if I was still pregnant and if it would end up being a viable pregnancy...would that affect anything. The nurse said it would NOT hurt the pregnancy.

I don't really know what happened, at one point they thought there may have been more than one baby...and that I was losing one of them. I'm not sure we'll ever know. Another possibility was that it was a blighted ovum which causes the placenta to grow (and continue to produce hcg) but there was no baby.

I think my progesterone (though it started rising on its own) didn't rise soon enough, and the m/c was already happening. Once it starts...its inevitable.

April 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM
bananna's Avatar Regular
Oh Ok I understand. Well I am sorry foryour lose sweetie.
Austinsmom I hope you are not miscarrying. Good Luck! I hear alot of women do miscarry their first month and the very next month they arry n to have happy and healthy babies.

Shawna
XOXOXO

April 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't see how they can tell that from one blood test. I an so sorry.((( Hugs))))

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
April 21st, 2005, 04:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would definately look into it more!
When I was pregnant with my son I started bleeding, went to the ER (I was just over 6 weeks) and they did an u/s and said the heartrate was low... 92. Went to my doctor and they said I had 90 % chance of m/c. I continued to bleed for the next 3 weeks. Sometimes heavier than others. I even had some cramping. Not severe though.

My son is 5 now. Please, please get another blood test or u/s just to make sure.

It was my first pregnancy so I had no idea what the blood tests were for or what they were checking, but I am pretty sure that they didn't think my numbers were even where they should have been.

Let us know... and hang in there! I know it is a very scary time, no matter what the outcome. Take care of yourself.
April 22nd, 2005, 03:48 AM
Veteran
Definitely get 1 or 2 more blood draws. You want to know exactly what is going on. If you are m/c, then you will need to get blood draws done until your level is less than 2. Insist on that. My first m/c, my level hovered at 23 for almost 3 weeks. What was your level?

April 22nd, 2005, 04:41 AM
melissa29624's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to melissa29624
I reccomend skipping a cycle before trying again...that's what i did when i had my m/c and then i got pg on 2nd cycle. when i got pg with my daughter....i had to put vaginal progesterone suppositories in for 10 weeks.....so that i had enough of the hormone to support the pregnancy. Good luck to you and lots of baby dust!
April 22nd, 2005, 04:46 AM
monkhester
I hope it is not so. Sending you HUGs and prayers!
April 22nd, 2005, 06:14 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Going to second the getting another blooddraw. For more than one reason. When you miscarry most doctors make you go in and have your HCG levels checked until they are back to zero. The reason being that if you do not have a complete miscarriage and still have tissue left you will continue to have bleeding and could lead to infection or other problems.

I have had three miscarriages as well. Odds are that you are miscarrying but with my ds I had a lot of bleeding. The amount you would have during a light period. I bled like this off and on till I was about twelve weeks. And he was born full term and healthy so you never know.

If your doctor is any good he won't mind doing a second blood draw to confirm this. I wouldn't see your doctor again if he didn't. Any doctor that is too insensitive or unreasonable when it comes to miscarriage, I wuoldn't bother seeing. Just my opinion.

The answer to your other question is you can start trying as soon as you get your next cycle. Some doctors suggest waiting three months but most say its okay to start after your first normal cycle after mc.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search