Lab results... Thinking PCOS

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My dr didn't think I had PCOS because I don't show the physical symptoms of it. But my FSH and LH levels are showing differently. Your FSH and LH levels are apparently suppose to be around the same, and my LH level is double my FSH level, which is indicative of PCOS.

I'm kind of sad, but that would explain why I don't ovulate.

This also made my mind up for me about the IUI. We are definitely going to go full speed ahead and do the IUI in a few weeks. I've heard that people with PCOS have success with IUIs more than if they try timed-intervourse, so we are going for it.

Anyone else have PCOS or any advice? I have been officially diagnosed, but I'm sure that's what my dr is going to tell me I have at my next appointment.
October 2013- SA revealed low motility--referred to RE
January 2014- DHs repeat SA came back "normal"! I was diagnosed with PCOS
February 2014- IUI #1 on Valentine's Day with 2 mature follicles- BFN
March 2014- BCP to clear up cysts
April 2014- IUI #2 on 4/9/14 with 3 mature follicles and 3 catching up! BFP at 10dpiui!!!!!! So thankful!!! Beta #1 @ 13 DPO- 167; Beta #2 @ 15 DPO- 384!

January 25th, 2014, 05:11 PM
rusticbythesea01's Avatar Steph
I'm sorry that might be the case, but at least your finding out so you know what to do now. The IUI is a great idea, and if I were you, that is what I would do. I think that is exciting....how soon can you do it?!

2/10/14 @ 6w3d
January 25th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticbythesea01 View Post
I'm sorry that might be the case, but at least your finding out so you know what to do now. The IUI is a great idea, and if I were you, that is what I would do. I think that is exciting....how soon can you do it?!
I'm taking provera to start my period. I have a week left of pills then I have to call my RE when my period shows. After that I'll start taking clomid and injectables. Once they make me ovulate I'll get the IUI. So probably a few weeks from now!
April 2014- IUI #2 on 4/9/14 with 3 mature follicles and 3 catching up! BFP at 10dpiui!!!!!! So thankful!!! Beta #1 @ 13 DPO- 167; Beta #2 @ 15 DPO- 384!

January 25th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My good friend has pcos and 2 beautiful boys with iui/injectables! Don't have much offer (I don't have it) but I know it can definitely be possible!!

Saw a beautiful little heartbeat 1/28/10
Heard a Beautiful little heartbeat 3/3/2010
Saw a Beautiful Little GIRL 4/5/2010!!!!
Held my beautiful Little GIRL 9/24/2010

January 25th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
I don't know much about PCOS but I'm happy that you're at least getting some answers. The IUI seems to be a good plan and I really hope it works for you! KUP

May 2013 July 2014
January 26th, 2014, 04:06 AM
MusicFanatic79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have friends with PCOS that have had pregnancies and healthy babies I have no personal experience, though. I'm sorry you're likely to get that diagnoses, but having answers is always a good thing. And hopefully that will push them/you to the next step for your baby!!

January 26th, 2014, 05:26 AM
jellybean93's Avatar Super Mommy
I remember when I was first diagnosed, it felt as good as a death sentence. All I heard was "infertile". It's not so bad though, you learn to deal with it. One of my close friends has PCOS too and she conceived naturally. My mom has it and conceived 5 naturally. I have conceived once but it was unfortunately a chemical pregnancy.

Will they be running more tests than just your LH/FSH levels? Testosterone, insulin, glucose, cholesterol and prolactin are a few of the tests they ran for me. She also did an internal scan to check for cysts.

A low GI diet and an hour of cardio a day does wonders in bringing ovulation on! I am just too darn lazy to stick with it

Clomid alone would be great, that is our next plan of action after the wedding. I don't know much, if anything, about IUI's but I hope you have success with it!

For me personally, the biggest thing I needed to prep myself for was the very high miscarriage rate (around 65%). Metformin helps to greatly reduce that risk though and it has also shown to help ovulation. I am on it but will be increasing to a stronger dosage at my appt. in Feb, as my dosage right now is just not strong enough for my body.

Good luck and please keep us updated!!

My Ovulation Chart
January 26th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Regular
Did your doctor do an u/s to confirm that diagnosis? Elevated lh by itself doesn't determine if you have pcos. I have thin pcos meaning I have no weight issues or insulin resistance just mild hair growth, elevated androgen levels and irregular periods. I think of it as an obstacle to having babies is all. Only thing it took me to get pregnant with DD is Femara days 3-7, BD twice the old fashioned way and that's it. Good luck to you!
January 26th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean93 View Post
I remember when I was first diagnosed, it felt as good as a death sentence. All I heard was "infertile". It's not so bad though, you learn to deal with it. One of my close friends has PCOS too and she conceived naturally. My mom has it and conceived 5 naturally. I have conceived once but it was unfortunately a chemical pregnancy.

Will they be running more tests than just your LH/FSH levels? Testosterone, insulin, glucose, cholesterol and prolactin are a few of the tests they ran for me. She also did an internal scan to check for cysts.

A low GI diet and an hour of cardio a day does wonders in bringing ovulation on! I am just too darn lazy to stick with it

Clomid alone would be great, that is our next plan of action after the wedding. I don't know much, if anything, about IUI's but I hope you have success with it!

For me personally, the biggest thing I needed to prep myself for was the very high miscarriage rate (around 65%). Metformin helps to greatly reduce that risk though and it has also shown to help ovulation. I am on it but will be increasing to a stronger dosage at my appt. in Feb, as my dosage right now is just not strong enough for my body.

Good luck and please keep us updated!!

Thank you so much! And yes they ran a lot of tests on me. My insulin levels are good and my testosterone and prolactin were in normal range as far as I can tell. My testosterone was 30 and my insulin was 3. Is that testosterone high?? I'm going in next week to discuss results, get an ultrasound, and start the IUI process

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmart6 View Post
Did your doctor do an u/s to confirm that diagnosis? Elevated lh by itself doesn't determine if you have pcos. I have thin pcos meaning I have no weight issues or insulin resistance just mild hair growth, elevated androgen levels and irregular periods. I think of it as an obstacle to having babies is all. Only thing it took me to get pregnant with DD is Femara days 3-7, BD twice the old fashioned way and that's it. Good luck to you!
I'm getting an ultrasound next week when I go in to start the IUI process. I guess they'll tell me then. But my insulin levels are good and I am thin as well. My dr actually wants me to gain a little weight. He said if I have PCOS I have a very atypical case of it because I don't have any of the outward signs besides irregular periods.

January 26th, 2014, 07:28 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Be13 View Post
My testosterone was 30 and my insulin was 3. Is that testosterone high??
From what I know (I'm not a doc) those levels are both great!

Hopefully this new plan of action will bring you a BFP...I have everything crossed

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 26th, 2014, 10:34 PM
jellybean93's Avatar Super Mommy
I think those are normal, my testosterone was on the high end of normal but my free testosterone was like 3 or 4 times the normal range. When I was on BCP I didn't show any signs at all but since coming off it I gained a lot of weight, fantastic hair growth in all sorts of not so fantastic places. I am insulin resistant, high prolactin and cholesterol and my ovaries are also cyst ridden.

Like KLmart said, I do think you'd need more than just high LH/FSH levels though, but even if it turns out that you do have PCOS... it's definitely something you can work with and there are so many options to assist ovulation
Hope2Be13 likes this.

My Ovulation Chart
January 27th, 2014, 01:59 AM
LittleBlossom's Avatar Super Mommy
I had tests done for PCOS in 2011, lh was 9.2 and FSH 9.3 so pretty similar. My estrogen (45) and testosterone (22) were normal…I was tested on CD 3. I still have the results here and testosterone bracket is 20-100 so you can chill…30 is fab I also had internal u/s to check for cysts but all came back clear and I didn't have PCOS at the time. Considering asking for recheck…not sure if these things can change/develop but we've been trying for 6 cycles now.
Hope2Be13 likes this.
TTC #1 since July'13

January 27th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies!! My estrogen was a little low as well. It was 23.4 at CD3. I don't have any weight issues or hair growth. I did gain about 5-6 lbs after coming off the pill, but I was sickly looking at 102 lbs on the pill so I actually didn't mind the extra weight. My weight gain stopped at 5-6 lbs and I've been at that point for a year so that's not an issue either. I'll get an ultrasound next week to check for cysts

January 27th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
good luck

January 27th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Kissthegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YES! I vote you go full speed ahead to the IUI!!! Be aggressive, be BE AGGRESSIVE!

Ha, sorry.
Hope2Be13 likes this.

After 35 months of TTC (3 failed IUIs, 18 failed months on Clomid, 2HSGs, 1 D&C, and a Laparoscopy diagnosing Stage 2 Endometriosis) God has granted us our prayers and I am pregnant with our 1st baby! Due in March 2015!!

January 27th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissthegirl View Post
YES! I vote you go full speed ahead to the IUI!!! Be aggressive, be BE AGGRESSIVE!

Ha, sorry.
Hahahahahaha you're killing me!!

January 29th, 2014, 01:31 PM
chrysalis1's Avatar + Positively Pregnant! +
I know what you're saying about the PCOS thing! My dr did not think I had PCOS either, but I had been persistent with her about taking a closer look, so the dr ended up admitting it does look like I have "mild PCOS". I did not have cysts on an ultrasound exam, and my bloodwork came back normal according to the labs. Except when I examined my numbers, my LH was over 2x my FSH (despite each being independently in normal ranges), and my estrogen was at the low end of normal, and my testosterone was at the high end of normal. My ovulation is extremely irregular even with those small deviations, and my guess is that pcos, especially milder pcos, is probably more common than we think.

I'm excited for your IUI! You know I am going to be lurking this forum for your beautiful BFP next month !!!

ETA: also congrats on your repeat SA being normal! I just knew it was a fluke that first time!!!
Hope2Be13 likes this.
"Mild" pcos, blessed with BFP on cycle #4 ttc
Baby Braden 5/25/2014He's finally here!

]
January 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalis1 View Post
I know what you're saying about the PCOS thing! My dr did not think I had PCOS either, but I had been persistent with her about taking a closer look, so the dr ended up admitting it does look like I have "mild PCOS". I did not have cysts on an ultrasound exam, and my bloodwork came back normal according to the labs. Except when I examined my numbers, my LH was over 2x my FSH (despite each being independently in normal ranges), and my estrogen was at the low end of normal, and my testosterone was at the high end of normal. My ovulation is extremely irregular even with those small deviations, and my guess is that pcos, especially milder pcos, is probably more common than we think.

I'm excited for your IUI! You know I am going to be lurking this forum for your beautiful BFP next month !!!

ETA: also congrats on your repeat SA being normal! I just knew it was a fluke that first time!!!
I'm so happy to hear from you!! Thank you for telling me this. My LH:FSH ratio is my only problem as well. My LH is double my FSH. It's very encouraging to know you had this issue and now you're pregnant! I've been feeling so down lately and doubting my chances of getting pregnant. I keep reading online about how thin PCOSers are harder to treat. I'm very anxious for the coming weeks... Please stick around! I'll definitely need your support!! How are you doing!?
chrysalis1 likes this.

February 1st, 2014, 05:14 PM
chrysalis1's Avatar + Positively Pregnant! +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Be13 View Post
I'm so happy to hear from you!! Thank you for telling me this. My LH:FSH ratio is my only problem as well. My LH is double my FSH. It's very encouraging to know you had this issue and now you're pregnant! I've been feeling so down lately and doubting my chances of getting pregnant. I keep reading online about how thin PCOSers are harder to treat. I'm very anxious for the coming weeks... Please stick around! I'll definitely need your support!! How are you doing!?
I am doing well! I realllllllllly dont want you to doubt your chances of getting pregnant. I really believe in my heart you will be pregnant on your first real ovulation. I think part of me will always feel similarly about myself. I feel like all of the times I ovulated before the cycle I got pregnant were weak, poor quality ovulations. The cycle I got pregnant I had begun a VERY strict low carb diet and started taking cinnamon supplements as an alternative to metformin (my dr. wanted me to wait to ttc a year before starting me on real metformin.) Even though I was technically a thin pcos-er with normal BMI, I started a strict and intense workout schedule because I read up on the impact working out has on insulin resistance and pcos. My dr explained that high insulin levels affect the ovaries. Of course I didnt think that making those diet and lifestyle changes would work, but I figured I had nothing to lose. That month every day I was in the gym, sticking to my low GI diet, and my cinnamon And BOOM - pregnant. Now this could be coincidence but I honestly believe that the changes I made resulted in the only and first cycle where my hormones were truly "right". Now that you have an RE on your team they will be able to monitor you and create the ideal ovulation conditions without all of the extra work I had to do lol. And having your IUI will take the guesswork out of making sure the sperm and egg meet, so I am sticking by my belief that its just going to take that one perfect cycle and POW you will be pregnant!

Sorry for the long run on post lol but I am so serious. As for me I am doing well, I had my anatomy scan recently and I am happy to say that everything with the baby is healthy. I think ttc can take a toll on us having us constantly worry that something will go wrong, but with the anatomy and all the screening tests coming back normal and healthy, I will try to relax lol. We are team blue and are 99% sure we will be naming the baby Declan ( I just love that name, plus it is Irish and DH's last name is of Irish origin).

Last edited by chrysalis1; February 1st, 2014 at 05:20 PM.
February 1st, 2014, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalis1 View Post
I am doing well! I realllllllllly dont want you to doubt your chances of getting pregnant. I really believe in my heart you will be pregnant on your first real ovulation. I think part of me will always feel similarly about myself. I feel like all of the times I ovulated before the cycle I got pregnant were weak, poor quality ovulations. The cycle I got pregnant I had begun a VERY strict low carb diet and started taking cinnamon supplements as an alternative to metformin (my dr. wanted me to wait to ttc a year before starting me on real metformin.) Even though I was technically a thin pcos-er with normal BMI, I started a strict and intense workout schedule because I read up on the impact working out has on insulin resistance and pcos. My dr explained that high insulin levels affect the ovaries. Of course I didnt think that making those diet and lifestyle changes would work, but I figured I had nothing to lose. That month every day I was in the gym, sticking to my low GI diet, and my cinnamon And BOOM - pregnant. Now this could be coincidence but I honestly believe that the changes I made resulted in the only and first cycle where my hormones were truly "right". Now that you have an RE on your team they will be able to monitor you and create the ideal ovulation conditions without all of the extra work I had to do lol. And having your IUI will take the guesswork out of making sure the sperm and egg meet, so I am sticking by my belief that its just going to take that one perfect cycle and POW you will be pregnant!

Sorry for the long run on post lol but I am so serious. As for me I am doing well, I had my anatomy scan recently and I am happy to say that everything with the baby is healthy. I think ttc can take a toll on us having us constantly worry that something will go wrong, but with the anatomy and all the screening tests coming back normal and healthy, I will try to relax lol. We are team blue and are 99% sure we will be naming the baby Declan ( I just love that name, plus it is Irish and DH's last name is of Irish origin).

Awwww a boy!!!! & I loveeee the name! I'm so glad everything is going well for you. And thank you so much for the positivity, I need it! As far as my PCOS, I've been lightly exercising to remain active, but I'm not overdoing it because I can't afford to lose weight. My insulin is good so I'm thankful for that. I'm so glad I chose to see a RE because I really feel like I'm getting somewhere now. I'm so ready for these next couple of weeks!!! Thanks again for all your support & keep me updated on your little guy!!
chrysalis1 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search