Clomid and OPK's.

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2014, 05:40 AM
JackieV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK, Clomid users, I am hoping to get some advice from you!! I start 50mg tomorrow (CD3-7). I have read that the OPK's can be misleading while taking this. So, my question is, do I use the OPK's while using the climid, or wait until after I am done? Also, is it better to take the meeds in the morning or at night? I know it affects everyone differently, but wanted to see how others have experienced it in the past.

Thanks so much ladies!!! I am anxious/nervous to get this show on the road!

And can I just say, this is not going to help with my POAS problem. While I have told myself previously I would wait longer to test, I pretty much have to start testing 10DPO so that I can make sure to start my aspirin as the OB "prescribed". I was going to try and be less obsessed this time around. guess not!
January 28th, 2014, 06:41 AM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't take Clomid, but I took Femara. I would recommend taking any drug at night, so that you can sleep through some of the side effects. I haven't heard that Clomid effects OPK's. If you are only taking it CD 3-7 and don't start OPK's til CD 10 or whatever, I'm betting it would be fine, but I don't know for sure.

Why are you taking the aspirin? My OB just told me to start taking it as well and I'm wondering why.

Wishing you a BFP soon!

January 28th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
Ive had major issues with OPK's while taking clomid. I was getting a + and a - in the same day for FIVE days.

Best of luck!

Cautiously expecting our precious rainbow baby 02/18/15

January 28th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Tiffany&co - that's what I've heard, to take at night. So I'm going to try it! And my OB wants me on aspirin because with the d&c from my last loss she said I had a lot of blood clots which resulted in alot of tests that all came back negative. She thought it has to do with blood clots because I've lost 2 after HB is established. So this is the next atep. Clomid, progesterone and aspirin. Hope it works! Thanks for the advice and kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySass View Post
Ive had major issues with OPK's while taking clomid. I was getting a + and a - in the same day for FIVE days.

Best of luck!
I think I remember you saying that before. I will definitely watch carefully. I thought about temping but my sleep schedule is NEVER the same and I've heard that makes the temps less accurate. Plus I share the bed with hubby and fur babies :/ I figure that might affect my temps negatively. I don't know I just hope it works because I am going to make sure to DTD at the right times and often so we don't miss it

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it
January 29th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so here's the deal. Clomid (in my humble opinion) is a miracle - got pregnant on our second Clomid cycle!

...and I'm pretty sure the only reason we didn't conceive on the first Clomid cycle is because it ABSOLUTELY DOES mess with your OPKs!!!

I used OPKs long before I ever started Clomid, and they only ever turned positive once a month, about 24 hrs before ovulating.

With Clomid, I was taking the pill CD3-7, just like you, and was strictly instructed not to start testing with OPKs until CD12 as the Clomid will cause false positives on OPKs for several days, until it is out of your system. You should ovulate somewhere between 5-10 after your LAST pill of Clomid.

Well, both cycles I got a positive OPK on CD12. So the first cycle we did lots of BD when I saw that positive OPK, only to find out that on CD12 I was getting a false positive due to the Clomid. I actually ended up ovulating on CD22 (and I only know that because I started AF on CD36 and never had a positive HPT.)

Clomid is known for lengthening your cycle, so if you find yourself a few days late for AF, don't assume you are pregnant - it could just be the Clomid messing with you.

Our second cycle, I was determined not to be duped again, so I started temping. Still got my positive OPK on CD12 & CD13 (Clomid positives) - we BD just in case, but I kept temping and kept taking OPKs. Negative OPKs on CD14, then turned positive again on CD15 and CD16. I ovulated on CD17. Thankfully we had continued BD since I knew better than to put all my trust in the OPKs this time.

With well-timed BD, we conceived that second cycle.

One other thing, OPKs are best used in the afternoon/evening. Not FMU.

Hope this answers your question, and best of luck!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 29th, 2014, 01:45 PM
So what your saying is we should just DTD every other day for the entire cycle hahaha

my cycles are kind of already that long anyways. I normally ovulate around cd21. So maybe this will make me ovulate earlier with a longer LP?

I appreciate you sharing your experience. I know everyone is different. Just wanted to see what to kind of expect. I will start OPKs twice a day probably beginning cd10 just so I have it covered.

Temping is something I want to try but don't think it will work because my sleep times are COMPLETELY erratic. Plus our dogs (big dogs) sleep in bed with us so I'm afraid that would skew the temps. Maybe it'll be worth a shot?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Also I guess I should getting pregnant doeant really seem to be my issue. It is the STAYING pregnant I haven't gotten the hang of yet :/ so hopefully this does the trick!!!
January 29th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieV View Post
So what your saying is we should just DTD every other day for the entire cycle hahaha
LOL...well, your DH can thank me for his sudden turn of luck!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 31st, 2014, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How are you doing with the clomid? I'm a day ahead of you with the same dose. So far the only side effect I'm noticing is fatigue!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search