Kidney stones :(

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Nightingale20's Avatar Veteran
Last night we did our last ttc bd because I hit a "dry" spell so I think the window is now shut, I had been having back pain off and on for a few days and thought nothing of it until last night.I went to sleep early since I had to work today, I woke up in severe pain, I thought maybe I just had to potty and it was hurting me. I collapsed from the pain trying to get back to bed, I didn't pass out just couldn't walk, I laid on the heating pad with DH for about one hour but nothing helped. We rushed to the ER when it got so bad I was literally screaming in pain, we were there for hours, they gave me some painkillers that didn't help so they gave me morphine. After another hour or so they said I had blood in the urine so it had to be a kidney stone...
I've had kidney stones this felt nothing like it to me, the morphine only made the pain dull but it was still there, still is really, I just kept thinking "I just told you I'm ttc and you're giving me morphine?!" But I guess it's ok and safe even if I was a few weeks along. They kept asking if I was pregnant, I said no but they didn't want to believe me, the only real comfort was the nurses name was Elvis which my grandmother loved Elvis and she just passed a few months ago so I took it as a sign everything was gonna be ok.
Has anybody ever been given morphine and found out they were pregnant and the baby was healthy?
I had to laugh a little, this is out first month trying and I end up in the ER, funny but it was extremely scary

My Ovulation Chart
August 13th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So sorry you have such pain...i don't have any idea about the morphine...i hope you feel better soon.
August 14th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Thanks, I was up all night again from it, it's not as bad but it was enough to wake me, I'm hoping everything will be ok since I had the morphine, I'm counting down the days until I can test though!

My Ovulation Chart
August 14th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Veteran
Sorry to hear you've had such a rough go! I think you've got to put your health first at this point and do what you need to do to heal and get healthy! Hopefully there isn't too much risk from the morphine.

I had a similar issue this month (thought not nearly as bad). I was quite sick and ended up having to have a chest x-ray to confirm pneumonia. Wasn't a big fan of the x-ray (I was in the TWW) but I couldn't leave it untreated either. Sometimes you just have to make a tough call!

Hope you feel better soon!
Cycle 5, TTC #1

Finally Starting to Chart

August 14th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Putting my health first is so hard, I would love to be pregnant after the first try after 5 years of not using any form of BC and not having a baby I was concerned I don't ovulate or just can't get pregnant. Now that it's our first TWW I'm going crazy then I get sick but other than the fact that it hasn't passed I'm doing better, I'm still in pain and having to take pain killers but I'm hoping if I am lucky enough to be pregnant on the first try that since it's early on everything will be ok.
Hope you are doing better, we had a neighbor not know he had pneumonia and he never got treated then he died leaving a wife and 2 kids, pneumonia is much scarier in my opinion so take care of yourself! At least you caught it and got treatment, that was the biggest mistake for my neighbor, let's hope if we don't get lucky this month we'll both be lucky next month!

My Ovulation Chart
August 14th, 2014, 07:15 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Hugs. I have stones too. And morphine is fine. I got several milligrams of dilaudid while 27 weeks pregnant with my daughter. She is fine

Try to drink lots of water every day!!!

August 15th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Super Mommy
OH man...Kidney stones are the WORST. I have had 3 bouts with them since I had my daughter. Make sure you stay well hydrated. I've found that my body needs a minimum of 75 ounces of water a day and that if I keep to that they don't come back. If I drop below that for more than a day or two I'm in trouble. Have they talked to you about a stint to help the stone pass easier? My girlfriend had to do that since they weren't passing quickly enough on their own.
August 16th, 2014, 06:11 AM
I am drinking lots of water even though DH is being a bad influence with soda, coffee and tea, but I'm trying my best to be good and drink water and cranberry juice. I've never heard about a stint I might bring it up to my primary doctor when I go for a follow up, unfortunately I got my AF visit super early this cycle, my cycle was only 20 days this time around, not sure why. Hopefully next cycle will be better for me and hopefully I won't get any stones next time either!

My Ovulation Chart
August 16th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I use the app plant nanny to help me with my water intake. I was particularly vulnerable to stones when pregnant and nursing. I drink 100oz a day minimum.

August 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I struggle with drinking water, I'm just not a big water person, I need to find a good flavor packet to get me back into it I think. I'm doing ok but I just don't like water unless it's ice cold and our ice tastes weird, I think it's the fridge causing it to taste weird. But I do try to get some water in my system, I maybe get 8oz a day, I know that's bad.

My Ovulation Chart
August 16th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Those flavor squirts help. I just think of my water as my kidney medicine. It's not worth ruining your kidneys over kwim?

August 16th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I'll definitely look for some flavor packets, my mom suggested water pills but she's only had 1 stone her whole life so I'm not sure if that advice is good or not.

My Ovulation Chart
August 16th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran
Hope you pass them quickly & wo much pain. I like to use straws & bottles like camelbak. I find I drink a lot more water that way. Plus you may not notice the flavor since you swallow it pretty much immediately.
August 17th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Yeah, water pills would not help. I used to pass my stones no problem... But after too many, my ureters scarred over and got narrow. They have to be surgically removed now. After 2 surgeries I really buckled down with the water and lemon juice. (Citrate helps prevent oxalate from binding to calcium and forming stones)

August 18th, 2014, 12:28 AM
I didn't think my mom was right, I like to call her doctor mom, pretty much any advice she gives me is wrong so I just do the opposite unless by some odd chance it sounds logical. That sounds horrible having to have surgery to remove them everytime, I've had 4 that took me to the ER and 6 that I've just had mild pain and passed without problems, I need to do better. When I get stressed (like this weekend when my mother in law was here) i do horrible and drink lots of soda which is the cause of mine, too many sodas in a week and I can almost guarantee I'll get one. Ttc mixed with my 4-8am job where I have had more than normal hours due to people on vacation caused me to stress so I had soda, coffee and tea so much I think that's what caused mine. I'm going to drink more water for sure because it sucks getting these.

My Ovulation Chart
August 18th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Super Mommy
What about seltzer water? When I find myself having a hard time hitting my water numbers I will get some seltzer water and put some fresh fruit in it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. You can do it with regular water too. I love mascerated rasberries and lime, or watermelon and mint...lots of really fun combinations that make water so much less boring...
August 18th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I'm a picky person so I've never attempted seltzer water cause I'm scared to try it lol, but I might try to make water less boring one way or another, DH tried to be sweet when he picked up dinner and he got me a 2-liter soda. I was stunned that he would do it after I told him I can't drink it anymore, then to top it all off I felt like I was wasting it if I didn't drink it since nobody else drinks diet soda... I am trying to train myself to drink more water and get him to support me but it's not helpful when he does that stuff.

My Ovulation Chart
August 19th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Super Mommy
Do you have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's near you? These are one of my favorite soda substitutes:

Spritzers | R.W. Knudsen Family® – 100% Natural and Organic Juices
August 19th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I think the closest one is about 1 hour away but my mom is almost always shopping in the same town, those look so good I'll get her to pick me one up or I might order it online if I can. I definitely need a soda substitute.

My Ovulation Chart
August 19th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So sorry to hear that you're going through that! I know your pain, unfortunately. I had a kidney stone last year. The ER doctors did not diagnose it correctly- they thought I had a UTI. I would never have gone to the ER for a UTI, and I knew it was something else. So I went to the urologist, who could not figure out what it was either! Finally I got that crippling back pain you mentioned, and called the urologist immediately, who sent me in for a scan. Sure enough I had a stone. He prescribed me flomax (which is typically an rx for old men) but that combined with drinking a ton of water helped it to pass. If you haven't passed it yet, I would definitely call your dr and ask for an rx of flomax.

As far as morphine when pregnant, they gave it to me with my c-section, so I can't imagine it would be that harmful for baby.

TTC #2

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search