Long cycle+late ovulation-Is clomid right for us?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Regular
Ok, we're trying to pin this down. My wife got her period today and was pretty bummed. She is now considering using clomid, but we're kind of hesitant. My wife's cycles have typically been around 40-43 days and she is ovulating (accoring to clear blue monitor) around 7-9 days before her period.

Her doctor is pushing clomid, but I'm not positive if I understand why. She seems very quick to recommend it. Not that I'm a professional, I just want to understand why it would help besides just shortening up the cycle. Few questions:

1) Has anyone been in this situation?

2) Do you have a harder time conceiving when you ovulate 7-9 days before period as opposed to 14? Would clomid help?

3) Any final thoughts? If having 28 day cycles and ovulating on day 14 is much better, then I'm all for it. But, the clear blue monitor is saying that my wife is ovulating, so is clomid necessary?

4) I haven't been tested for sperm count? Should I do that? Is that just 'going' into a cup? That's it? I'm a little nervoud about that.

Thanks!

D
February 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Miles
Awww how nice for you come on here and ask about all of this! Your an awesome hubby!

Your wife has a LP(time after she ovulates to the time her AF shows up) disorder. Her LP is way too short for implantation to occur, so she should go on clomid to make it longer. Its not a big deal she ovulates later, I ovulate later and have gotten pregnant a few times.
As for the sperm check, you cant have sex for 48 hours before you do it, then you go in a cup and take it to the lab. Its that simple.
February 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Regular
Quote:
Awww how nice for you come on here and ask about all of this! Your an awesome hubby!

Your wife has a LP(time after she ovulates to the time her AF shows up) disorder. Her LP is way too short for implantation to occur, so she should go on clomid to make it longer. Its not a big deal she ovulates later, I ovulate later and have gotten pregnant a few times.
As for the sperm check, you cant have sex for 48 hours before you do it, then you go in a cup and take it to the lab. Its that simple.[/b]
Thanks for the response! So, I guess that's what I don't get though. What does implantation do? If its not a big deal if she ovulates later, then what's the use of going on clomid? The only benefit that I'm seeing is that her cycles would be on 28 days instead of 40 or whatever so you have more chances of concieving. It would make sense to me if you had better chances of concieving if you ovulated more towards 14 days before your period.

Know what I mean?
February 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Super Mommy
Not that i'm on clomid, but what Magan is reffering to is the LP which is the time from Ovulation to the start of the next menstrual cycle. I believe it should be at least 10 days. If your wifes is too short that may be why they want her to take the Meds. A short LP can result in early miscarriage. Hope this helps and good luck !

February 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM
tabbymichelle's Avatar GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
I agree with magan, late ovulation isn't the problem, it's a short LP. Has she talked to her doctor about progesterone after ovulation? This will lengthen an LP and will allow implantation to be able to occur. A normal LP is 12+ days. I have an 11 day LP and had a miscarriage after my first round of clomid. It helped us to get pregnant, it just wasn't able to stick because of my LP. Implantation is where the fertilized egg implants into the lining of the uterus. HTH.

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
1 cycle of Clomid 100mg resulting in miscarriage
Dx with Adenomyosis on 1/28/10
Clomid 150mg 4/30(day 3) - 5/4(day 5) Ultrasound on May 10th.
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!
6/27 - Round 3 Clomid 150mg started.
7/25 - AF Showed, starting final round of Clomid 150mg on CD3
8/21- AF Showed, In the process of finding a new RE
*Waiting to see our new RE

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

February 19th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I remember a question you had before you wife found out she ovulates late. Welcome back.

I remember telling you that I ovulate late as well. I am on cycle 3 of using the Clear Blue fertility monitor. The first 2 cycles I ovulated CD23 with only a luteal phase of about 7-8 days. So knowing I could not hold a baby I have been bothering my Dr. Every month I call and let them know what is going on. After the 1st month she had me take progesterone for my luteal phase defect. It makes the luteal phase longer. Many women with a short luteal phase have low progesterone. Mine was a vaginal suppository which is a prescription.

After that month trying the progesterone that Dr. told me not to use it again. Not sure why. I decided I need to take matters into my own hands and am not ready to try clomid yet. I bought soy isoflavones at the drug store. You take them like clomid (five days at the beginning of your cycle) and they help your ovulate sooner. This is a fairly new thing. I took them for only the first 4 days of my cycle and I ovulated on cycle day 18. 5 days sooner! I am taking B6 to legthen my luteal phase. If I don't get pregnant this month I may up my soy dose to 120mg from 80mg and take it for a full 5 days.

Clomid is not a quick fix and has side effects. Glad you are researching everything before you make a decision. I have nothing against clomid and may try it at the end of the summer if I don't get pregnant by then. Most Dr's won't presribe it until 12 cycles of good trying to concieve timing.

Good luck to you and your wife. I hope you guys are able to get her cycle figured out.

Also don't worry about your speam count. Get her cycle figured out first because you main problem right now is that she is not having a long enough luteal phase to hold a baby. Get that fixed first.

My husband would probably wait to have one right before I went on clomid. I can understand being nervous about taking one. I would be too!

February 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Miles
Hi again!
I think its great your asking questions! As for the clomid, I was on it for 3 cycles because I ovulated really late into my cycle. Thing is I didnt ovulate much sooner when I was on the clomid then when I was off of it so due to the side effects I have stopped it. Your wife has a short LP, which is the time from when she ovulates to her period. It should be at least 10days but even then its short. She needs to talk to her dr about her progesterone like Tab said after she ovulates, it sounds like its low.
After you ovulate it takes 7 to 10 days for the baby to implant being her LP is so short she wont be able to implant. So she needs to make her LP longer or she may never conceive. I dont think she is going on the clomid for shorter cycles but because her LP is way too short.
February 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some couples are religiously or morally opposed to masterbation as a way to collect for a sperm sample, so there are other options as well - which are not often disclosed because they are inconvenient for medical staff.

One option is the Hunhar's or post-coital test, this evaluates the way sperm cells survive in the wife's cervical mucus - which is a more accurate reflection of your combined fertility than having them in a sterile container is! After all, mucus nourishes sperm and facilitates it's travel - so seeing how well it does in the mucus is very important. This requires medical staff to be "on call" for when the woman notices fertile mucus, because intercourse needs to occur and then the woman needs to have the test done within an hour of it.

Another option is to use a condom and make love the normal way (for couples opposed to masterbation). Then the sample can be dumped from the condom into the collection container at home, and delivered to the clinic within an hour.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search