SONOHYSTEROGRAM

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2005, 07:58 AM
diane66
I read about this on the 2ww website but what is it?
Who gets it?
Why do they get it?
Do I need it?

Does anyone know?
July 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
TexMex's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
<span style="colorurple">I have no idea what it is so I googled it and here is one site that explains it:

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/241.html</span>

July 29th, 2005, 08:09 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
Transvaginal ultrasound is the best method to evaluate the female pelvis, but it is of limited value in assessing the interior and lining of the uterus. When combined with the use of an electrolytic solution to define the uterus, however, it is an effective diagnostic tool. It is used to evaluate abnormal bleeding, infertility, and recurrent pregnancy loss. It can also distinguish abnormalities such as polyps and uterine fibroids and clearly identify their size and location.

Infertility is sometimes caused by problems in the reproductive tract. In addition to the presence of polyps and fibroids, the sonohysterogram can also diagnose scarring of the inside lining of the uterus and congenital (birth) uterine defects. Birth defects of the uterus do not usually cause infertility but may cause pregnancy loss. Fibroids and scarring may block the fallopian tubes and result in infertility. Endometrial polyps (polyps that arise from the endometrium, the inner lining of the uterus) do not usually cause infertility, although they are often found in infertile women.

Recurrent pregnancy loss is diagnosed after three consecutive miscarriages and occurs in about 1 percent of women. Of these, approximately 10-15 percent have a uterine abnormality such as a uterine fibroid that can be accurately diagnosed with sonohysterogram. Regardless of fertility considerations, sonohysterogram is a convenient and efficient way to track fibroid size and growth over time.

Abnormal bleeding can be caused by many factors, including a fibroid or polyp or hormonal imbalance. These conditions are traditionally diagnosed by an endometrial biopsy, a D&C, or a hysteroscopy. Sonohysterogram provides a safe and accurate diagnostic alternative in many instances.

MY BLOG

July 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
Here is a little more on it

When is it done?
Your sonohysterogram should be performed between days 7 and 10 of your menstrual cycle, after bleeding has stopped but before ovulation. We do not want to perform the test while you are bleeding or if you should be unexpectedly pregnant. Many conditions are best visualized when the lining of the uterus is thin, before ovulation occurs.

What are the side effects?
We recommend that you take 600-800 mg of ibuprofen one hour prior to your appointment since some patients report mild cramping and discomfort during the test. You will be fine to return to work after the test or drive yourself home. It is not usual to experience slight spotting or bleeding after the test for up to a day or two. There is also a slight risk of infection.

What are the advantages?
Sononhysterography is performed here in the Fertility Center without radiation, x-ray contrast, or anesthesia. It is safe, quick, and cost-effective. It is the preferred diagnostic tool for uterine abnormalities and also provides information about the exterior of the uterus and the ovaries.

MY BLOG

July 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to tearsofhope
I've had a hysterosonogram! or however you say it. I just say HSG! It is used on women who haven't achieved pregnancy for ttc for a year to check for tubal blockages, abnormalities, etc. I will say that was the most painful thing I have been through so far. So just be warned! It isn't unbearable but it makes you cramp like never before! I layed on the table and cried. And I bled like I had my AF too because of it. I don't want to EVER go through that again.

They spread you apart like you are getting a pap, they insert this tub in through your cervix that has a balloon at the end up it, they blow up this balloon to open up your cervix and to keep it that way throughout the test. Then they insert this cathiter into your cervix and into your uterus. They then inject dye into your uterus and they watch it flow through your uterus and up and out of your tubes.

The dye should come out at the end of your tubes near your ovaries if they are clear. Mine were clear, thank GOD! And I didn't have any abnormalities either.

A lot of women have gotten pregnant almost right away after this test because it can sort of clear the way a bit better. I wasn't one of the lucky women, but you could be.

If you have to have it, just remember before hand, to take something for pain an hour before you go. My doctor failed to tell me that and I hurt from it. It is like a really, REALLY bad AF and menstrual cramping, or it was for me anyway!

Good LUCK

Come Visit My Board: http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...act=SF&s=&f=71

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/4440a">
</a>
July 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM
diane66
Quote:
Originally posted by sanderson76@Jul 29 2005, 11:11 AM
Here is a little more on it

When is it done?
Your sonohysterogram should be performed between days 7 and 10 of your menstrual cycle, after bleeding has stopped but before ovulation. We do not want to perform the test while you are bleeding or if you should be unexpectedly pregnant. Many conditions are best visualized when the lining of the uterus is thin, before ovulation occurs.

What are the side effects?
We recommend that you take 600-800 mg of ibuprofen one hour prior to your appointment since some patients report mild cramping and discomfort during the test. You will be fine to return to work after the test or drive yourself home. It is not usual to experience slight spotting or bleeding after the test for up to a day or two. There is also a slight risk of infection.

What are the advantages?
Sononhysterography is performed here in the Fertility Center without radiation, x-ray contrast, or anesthesia. It is safe, quick, and cost-effective. It is the preferred diagnostic tool for uterine abnormalities and also provides information about the exterior of the uterus and the ovaries.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search